Andrew Barclay 14" & 16" 0-4-0ST in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Fredo said:

Hi, can anyone advise which of the Hatton’s Industrial Tanks are suitable for the period 1956-1963 straight from the box. Thanks Fred 

The NCB liveries, and WTT and Coronation I believe worked in these liveries in this period, of course they were all private/industrial owners rather than working on the national network.

My NCB one arrived today. Cant bilieve how small it it - makes the 08 look huge

To answer my own questions a few pages back :

It runs fine thru my insulfrog pointwork, including double slips. 

Decoder fitting was easy with a guagemaster DCC93 decoder. Body came off fairly easily. Putting it back on was  a little more challenging as theres some black detail parts that just prevent the body going back in. Was fine one theres were flexed out out of the way.

• Informative/Useful 1

I've tried the search function but I'm not having much luck (I keep looking for the option to search in the topic I'm reading but I can't seem to find it).  

Rear pick ups.

Mine runs awfully through insulfrog point work, at first, ok for ages I just shrugged and put it down to my not being brave enough to go electrofrog and the locos short wheel base.  Then I happen to watch it where it stalled and the rear wheels were nowhere near the frog.  A quick experiment showed it only picked up on the front wheel set.  A brief experiment of pressing the pick up against the wheels improved things (except for a curved point which has a much longer frog) but within 10 15 mins the effect wore off.

So any more permanent solutions?

5 hours ago, Pmorgancym said:

I've tried the search function but I'm not having much luck (I keep looking for the option to search in the topic I'm reading but I can't seem to find it).  

Rear pick ups.

Mine runs awfully through insulfrog point work, at first, ok for ages I just shrugged and put it down to my not being brave enough to go electrofrog and the locos short wheel base.  Then I happen to watch it where it stalled and the rear wheels were nowhere near the frog.  A quick experiment showed it only picked up on the front wheel set.  A brief experiment of pressing the pick up against the wheels improved things (except for a curved point which has a much longer frog) but within 10 15 mins the effect wore off.

So any more permanent solutions?

Might be worth contacting hattons and asking for an exhange

On 11/02/2021 at 12:28, Corbs said:

The NCB liveries, and WTT and Coronation I believe worked in these liveries in this period, of course they were all private/industrial owners rather than working on the national network.

I've just succumbed to temptation and bought what looks like the last example of Coronation for the Boxfile. Since a 14" tank in a decent livery was on discount ... (I couldn't quite justify a BR black one with a fake GW number on a London GE section layout set post-war), It's arrived and runs

However...

Does anyone know where/how /when you should lubricate these ?

I've checked the instruction leaflet twice - and the downloadable manual on Hattons' website , which is identical. It doesn't mention maintenance /lubrication at all - unlike Hornby's leaflets which always show the oiling points

I've watched Jenny Emily's review video and the Hattons decoder installation video - neither mention lubrication at all. I've tried looking through this thread, but there's an awful lot of it. Google has not helped either.

So - just before I run it in on the rolling road, should I be lubricating the little critter

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I've oiled all the obvious moving parts on the motion, and a squeek which had appeared each rotation  promptly disappeared.

Gave it about 30 mins each way on the rolling road: seems to move on less power/lower setting than the Hornby Peckett  , and for that reason and larger wheels seems a touch faster

Looks like a good 'un

Coronation might be in honour of 1953, so perfectly suitable in a post-war setting. Anyone know if someone does an etched plate?

Edited by Ravenser

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Ravenser said:

Coronation might be in honour of 1953, so perfectly suitable in a post-war setting. Anyone know if someone does an etched plate?

Light Railway Stores do custom etching, they might have something suitable.

No connection, just a satisfied customer.

19 minutes ago, Ravenser said:

I've oiled all the obvious moving parts on the motion, and a squeek which had appeared each rotation  promptly disappeared.

Gave it about 30 mins each way on the rolling road: seems to move on less power/lower setting than the Hornby Peckett  , and for that reason and larger wheels seems a touch faster

Looks like a good 'un

Try Narrow Planet for plates.

Nameplates came from a different locomotive, a Hunslet 15" 0-6-0ST.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/works-no-2134-w-t-t-coronation-0-4-0st/

Coronation of King George rather than Queen Elizabeth I feel.

https://www.embsayboltonabbeyrailway.org.uk/oldsite/10.html

This is the locomotive which was used as spares.

spacer.png

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Well that's the black NCB one just left the building.

There was three left after I bought mine, by the time I finished the transaction they were gone.

You might still find them in other places though.

Wrong thread?!  Bargain missed?!

9 minutes ago, 26power said:

Wrong thread?!  Bargain missed?!

Barclay thread isn't it? 

Just pointing out that the last of the lined black ones have now gone. We've been pointing out which ones have sold out since they started to sell out. 

Now down to five out of the twelve.

As I said, some might still be lurking elsewhere though. I think there are still some on eBay and I think Rails might have some.

I'm afraid I don't post "bargains".  But £15 off isn't bad considering I don't think the rest will be around much longer.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/1484058/1000640/hattons_originals_steam_locos/bargain_list.aspx

Jason

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Barclay thread isn't it? 

Just pointing out that the last of the lined black ones have now gone. We've been pointing out which ones have sold out since they started to sell out. 

Now down to five out of the twelve.

As I said, some might still be lurking elsewhere though. I think there are still some on eBay and I think Rails might have some.

I'm afraid I don't post "bargains".  But £15 off isn't bad considering I don't think the rest will be around much longer.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/1484058/1000640/hattons_originals_steam_locos/bargain_list.aspx

Jason

No problem, it was really just the comment about three going in the time it took you to purchase one that had me wondering if they were available at some great reduction somewhere.  I also got the one I have from a retailer who stocks Hatton’s products so it didn’t occur to me that your comment was about availability, or otherwise, at Hattons.

Not sure I was conscious that they were reduced a bit at Hatton’s either so will consider whether I should get another!

• 2 months later...
46 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Liverpool Road Museum 1984 by John Law

gtman - ab 0-4-0st outside liverpool rd museum manchester late 84 JL

I don't know where Hattons got their idea of the colour of that thing from, but every photo I've ever seen of it looks the same almost black paintwork. I suppose it'll make me feel less guilty about chopping mine up and repainting it when it comes to its time on my workbench.

• Like 2