Andrew Barclay 14" & 16" 0-4-0ST in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

• 3 weeks later...

This one has been across my workbench before but the owner wanted sound and a Stay-Alive to be fitted, so it's been back and has also had extreme weathering to suit the quarry layout that it runs on. Block buffers, electric lamps (with Stones turbogenerator) and an enclosed cab have been added, too.

LadyE-005.jpg.123a8a2c86414827c185ec754977a606.jpg

LadyE-004.jpg.136ca5cef30d75cd3c63aa4ae015d1e8.jpg

LadyE-006.jpg.f1a3d642da1542dca998ca384783c262.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

This one started out as the CPC version and has been converted based on a prototype that worked at Provan gasworks. It now has a dropped footplate and a cab and buffers from a "Katie". The chimney has been cut down and the safety valves have been relocated to just behind the chimney. The cylinder sides have been flattened, too.

CVMR2021-003.jpg.d61c36f09f287d36c1417657ee840e77.jpg

CVMR2021-001.jpg.44f672ef6fc807cb89df0586a212badb.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

I keep noticing the figures rather than the locomotives in these images. They look very convincing compared to some 4mm scale figures I've seen. Well done.

Edited by Ian J.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have noticed Hatton’s stock of Barclay’s has dwindled with some versions now unavailable 

@Hattons Dave Have they stopped being stocked or is it a supplier issue?

My apologies if this has already been asked earlier in the thread, I never have much luck with the search option

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Sold Out I'm afraid.

it was mentioned earlier in the thread once they are gone that's it!

Jason

Didn’t realise it was a limited run, shame really.

Oh well good while it lasted I suppose 

• Like 1

Nearly everything is a limited run these days.  The economics of batch production in a Chinese factory make it pretty much the only way of working. A large up-front order is placed, and then the resulting models go on sale until they're sold out. Some sell out quicker than others.

If a model has been popular, then manufacturers will sometimes do a second batch. Or, more commonly, do the same model again but with different liveries. But, on the other hand, sometimes they just leave that one in the past and move onto something else.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If enough people register interest with Hattons, then they will most likely do another run. It would be silly to turn down the opportunity to make money from tooling that will probably have paid for itself on the first batch.

• Like 2

I wouldn't expect there will be a second batch until the first has completely sold out. But one of the advantages of an industrial is that it has a large number of potential liveries. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if a new selection of these does appear in due course.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, MarkSG said:

I wouldn't expect there will be a second batch until the first has completely sold out. But one of the advantages of an industrial is that it has a large number of potential liveries. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if a new selection of these does appear in due course.

True though they discounted them to to clear them, which is now in it’s 11th month of clearance…

Before that, they offered them to trade accounts as well.

How much will a future run be ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

A price reduction once they've been on the shelves for a while is usually factored into the initial pricing calculations, because it's a way of tapping into a valuable secondary market. But, if the calculations have been done properly, then the price cuts won't kick in until enough of the upfront development  and manufacturing costs have been covered to be able to afford to reduce the price without making the item unprofitable overall.

As far as Hattons Andrew Barclays are concerned, not all of the liveries have been discounted.  Several of them sold out at full price. So one of the things that will feed into any decision on a second run is to analyse which liveries, and which types of livery, are more popular and which are less popular.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not too tricky but be very careful you don't snap the pipes to the clack valve thingies..

Rob. 

On 30/09/2022 at 02:05, rprodgers said:

Out of interest how easy is it to separate the body from the chassis for these locos, if I was to considering repainting one ?

Comes off fairly easy, i found getting it back on more of a challenge. Hattons did a dcc fitting video for it that shows how its done

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Just seen the P announcement, some more ABs might be good too

Yes, but please not all at ones. Just ordered a P-class and two warwells... 

• RMweb Gold
On 20/04/2023 at 10:38, adb968008 said:

Just seen the P announcement, some more ABs might be good too

maybe even get adventurous…

Andrew Barclay 880/1902 0-4-0CT Crane ‘Glenfield No1’

(Flickr url / not mine).

If you decide to go ahead with this, could I politely ask that you please share your process? I'd love to recreate this little beastie myself.

Incidentally, I heard a rumour that the 1:1 scale version is being (or is about to be) restored - I'd be very happy if there was any truth to that. I understand the logistics and financials involved, but it's still a crying shame that this example has sat rusting away for so long - same could be said for Peckett 'Daphne' on the Ribble site. I just need to pick the right lotto numbers...