Andrew Barclay 14" & 16" 0-4-0ST in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

After a bit of head scratching and some help from Mr Wibble, I have got my Hattons Andrew Barclay EM'ed. See photo below of it on its final test runs on Hornsey Broadway. It has lost its "Little Barford" name, and I modified the front wasp stripes by painting them out on the smokebox, so they are only on the tank front. it is now awaiting works and Nameplates from Narrow Planet, and will go into the weathering  phase. More on how it was EM'ed can be found on the "EM70's" website at this link. http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/model_omwb147.html

post-7146-0-78189600-1536578644_thumb.jpg

Paul J.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Did No.703 exist?

I'm thinking of resurrecting the one I damaged back from the dead and changing its identity to something that never existed in reality

A damaged Barclay looking for re-incarnation... Hmmm... How close is the wheelbase to that of a GWR steam railmotor, I wonder???

• RMweb Gold

A damaged Barclay looking for re-incarnation... Hmmm... How close is the wheelbase to that of a GWR steam railmotor, I wonder???

Maybe I should have said an Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST that never existed :O a bit like Michael Long becoming Michael Knight

I'm just going to do a patch up, re-number and livery change........anything more than that is beyond by abilities at the moment

Edited by chuffinghell

Maybe I should have said an Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST that never existed :O a bit like Michael Long becoming Michael Knight

I'm just going to do a patch up, re-number and livery change........anything more than that is beyond by abilities at the moment

I converted my 705 into the Swansea Harbour Trust version with Narrow Planet makers plates and, new 701 number plates, removed the gigantic shirtbutton and applied Great Western on the tanks and fitted an old bell I had between the cab and safety valve on top of the tank. I might alter the cab back sheet one day but for now I’m happy andRuke 1 applies as the loco has been requisitioned on its way back to Swansea Docks by the Shed master following its works overhaul..... Edited by ndg910

After a bit of head scratching and some help from Mr Wibble, I have got my Hattons Andrew Barclay EM'ed. See photo below of it on its final test runs on Hornsey Broadway. It has lost its "Little Barford" name, and I modified the front wasp stripes by painting them out on the smokebox, so they are only on the tank front. it is now awaiting works and Nameplates from Narrow Planet, and will go into the weathering  phase. More on how it was EM'ed can be found on the "EM70's" website at this link. http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/model_omwb147.html

attachicon.gifEx Little Barford on test on Hornsey Broadway..jpg

Paul J.

Such a simple little modification, makes so much difference to the model appearance.

• RMweb Gold

I converted my 705 into the Swansea Harbour Trust version with Narrow Planet makers plates and, new 701 number plates, removed the gigantic shirtbutton and applied Great Western on the tanks and fitted an old bell I had between the cab and safety valve on top of the tank. I might alter the cab back sheet one day but for now I’m happy andRuke 1 applies as the loco has been requisitioned on its way back to Swansea Docks by the Shed master following its works overhaul.....

Similar story, although I’ll be renumbering mine and changing the livery I won’t be modifying the rear of the cab

As a fictional layout hopefully by using numbers that never actually existed I’ll get away with it

mark-axlecounter weathered My 705 Andrew Barclay at the EM show over the weekend

44564785322_84ce73b3e4_c.jpgMy Hattons Andrew Barclay has now been weathered by Mark by brian mosby, on Flickr

44564785192_0b9b355b1f_c.jpgMy Hattons Andrew Barclay has now been weathered by Mark by brian mosby, on Flickr

43895538154_2a7e88243d_c.jpgMy Hattons Andrew Barclay has now been weathered by Mark by brian mosby, on Flickr

Edited by mozzer models
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifEx Little Barford on test on Hornsey Broadway..jpg

Paul J.

Very interesting and the amended wheels do look a lot narrower. I wonder if the same method would work for P4?

This is what my EM conversion work looks like on the Barclay, with shots taken of the underside of the chassis,

post-7146-0-08361700-1536868316_thumb.jpg

and a converted wheelset sitting on a length of C&L EM track.

post-7146-0-83838000-1536868330_thumb.jpg

The wheels do end up being pretty much the same thickness as the prototype. Not much to play with. you can't afford to have any track wide to gauge.

Paul J.

• Like 2

Seeing as it's supposed to be GWR Brunswick Green then I would go for that. ;)

Seriously though most RTR manufacturers seem to vary quite a bit. Just look at Bachmann and Hornby GWR locomotives for example. It's made by quite a few paint manufacturers such as Phoenix and Humbrol.

Humbrol make Brunswick Green in both acrylic and enamel,

https://www.hattons.co.uk/37039/Humbrol_AA0031_No_3_Brunswick_Green_Gloss_Tinlet_No_1_14ml_/StockDetail.aspx

but they also make GWR/BR Green. I would go for this.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/37274/Humbrol_AB2405_Rail_Paint_GWR_BR_Green_RC405_Acrylic_14ml/StockDetail.aspx

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Seeing as it's supposed to be GWR Brunswick Green then I would go for that. ;)

Seriously though most RTR manufacturers seem to vary quite a bit. Just look at Bachmann and Hornby GWR locomotives for example. It's made by quite a few paint manufacturers such as Phoenix and Humbrol.

Humbrol make Brunswick Green in both acrylic and enamel,

https://www.hattons.co.uk/37039/Humbrol_AA0031_No_3_Brunswick_Green_Gloss_Tinlet_No_1_14ml_/StockDetail.aspx

but they also make GWR/BR Green. I would go for this.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/37274/Humbrol_AB2405_Rail_Paint_GWR_BR_Green_RC405_Acrylic_14ml/StockDetail.aspx

Jason

Thanks Jason,

I just wondered how close a match the Humbrol or Phoenix paints were to the RTR colour

I have a can of Halfrauds brooklands green that I’ve used on the toolbox but it’s not a great match

post-34603-0-02011200-1537201920_thumb.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell

Thanks Jason,

I just wondered how close a match the Humbrol or Phoenix paints were to the RTR colour

I have a can of Halfrauds brooklands green that I’ve used on the toolbox but it’s not a great match

Mix a tiny amount of black with the green, and test the new shade on the edge of a piece of printer paper - check for match.

Repeat until a match is achieved.

Regards,

John Isherwood.