SECR P Class 0-6-0T in OO Gauge from Hattons

Hattons Dave

It's a little known fact that Colonel Stephens proposed the building of a light railway to Much Binding, an order was placed to a well known Liverpool locomotive builder for the supply of 2 locos for the railway. Sadly the line was never built due to complaints from someone in Tunbridge Wells and some sort of RAF installtion occupied the site of the proposed station.

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

As promised, here are images of all 12 painted samples.

As has been noted, these are initial samples. Not all lining is present and we have made some notes with the factory for revisions.

attachicon.gifP_001_Std.jpg

SECR P Class 0-6-0T 178 in SE&CR full lined green (with brass)

attachicon.gifP_002_Std.jpg

SECR P Class 0-6-0T 753 in SE&CR full lined green (with brass)

attachicon.gifP_003_Std.jpg

SECR P Class 0-6-0T 754 in SE&CR grey

attachicon.gifP_004_Std.jpg

SECR P Class 0-6-0T A325 in SR lined Maunsell green with Maunsell lettering

attachicon.gifP_005_Std.jpg

SECR P Class 0-6-0T 1555 in SR black with Egyptian lettering

attachicon.gifP_006_Std.jpg

SECR P Class 0-6-0T 1558 in SR black with sunshine lettering

attachicon.gifP_007_Std.jpg

SECR P Class 0-6-0T 31027 in BR black with early emblem

attachicon.gifP_008_Std.jpg

SECR P Class 0-6-0T 31323 in BR black with late crest

attachicon.gifP_009_Std.jpg

SECR P Class 0-6-0T "Pioneer II" in Bowaters Paper Mill green

attachicon.gifP_010_Std.jpg

SECR P Class 0-6-0T "Pride of Sussex" in Robertsbridge Flour Mill green

attachicon.gifP_011_Std.jpg

SECR P Class 0-6-0T 27 “Primrose” in Bluebell Railway lined black (1960s)

attachicon.gifP_012_Std.jpg

SECR P Class 0-6-0T 323 “Bluebell” in Bluebell Railway lined blue (2010s)

As ever, we'd love to hear your thoughts and feedback.

All 12 versions are still available to pre-order for £99 each on THIS page.

Cheers,

Dave

Like many on this thread I have been looking at the development of these models and deciding on which one to acquire. I am currently building a Southern based railway which will be mainly dock (track laid and dock wall in) and siding area (still plain baseboard at the moment) with a roundy-roundy main line to watch the trains go by (in progress!).

My intention is that the loco's and rolling stock will start off in SE&CR and then change to Southern and then BR(S) through a running sequence, ending up with EMU's, Class 73's etc. (I'm not sure how I'll hide the third rail on a layout based in deepest, darkest, Kent whilst in SE&CR mode though......tomorrows problem).

Anyway, all this is happily coinciding with the release of H classes/ Birdcages and now the P class. I've done some research on shed allocation for the P class from various publications I have.    :read:

My intention/ hope was that the three SE&CR liveried locos would have spent their time round the Dover/ Folkestone area. But! These three seem to be the most travelled....... 

• From construction to 1923, SECR No 178 was variously allocated to Reading, Battersea (Stewarts Lane), Hastings, Bexhill, Redhill, Bricklayers Arms and Orpington.

• In the same period the allocations for SECR 753 were : Tonbridge, Boulogne (1915), Ashford and Redhill

• and SECR 754: Reading and Folkstone (reference to F'stone is in January 1923, so after Grouping, but it won't have been painted on January 1st........)  

The only one that would fulfill a virtually full time spec of  "allocation at or near Dover/ Folkestone" criteria between construction and grouping in 1923 is BR liveried 31027. This was initially allocated to Sheerness then Boulogne (1915), Dover and Folkstone.

So down to Options

Option 1.        Dear Dave at Hattons : Chances of  31027 as 27 in SE&CR livery........please ?   :help:

Option 2.        ???753??? On the basis that at least Boulogne is 'near Dover' and has some Docks ??? and Ashford is close to Dover,

but last time I looked it didn't have any Docks.

Option 3.      Bin the research, order the pretty one and apply' it's my railway' rule ???

Edited by Fishplate

I would agree.

If a P class can find its way to an obscure County Durham colliery screens then it could just as easily find its way anywhere.  

Les

One had been seen in Winchester many years ago.

One had been seen in Winchester many years ago.

Having slept overnight, seen these responses justifying Option 3, and pondered on falling into the trap of, and current discussion in the modelling press on, expecting Option 1 'out of the box' modelling.

There is (of course) Option 4 :       Renumber 753 to 27. But courage required to start hacking about a brand new loco, even if it is only replacing a few numbers.......... 

Les1952 comment #358 noted. Looking back at his post (#135) Option 3 is definitely hard at work. From what I've been able to find out on allocation from the date of construction to scrapping/ sale of the prototypes, Hattons model of 31323 appears to have been sent/ loaned to Snowden Colliery in 1953, so a Colliery precedent is available for that particular model, if that helps Les.........? 

Ref Winchester. This would also appear to be an Option 3/ Option 4 livery/ number quandary.

Hattons models of :

• A325 (SR) appears to have been allocated to Winchester in 1949 (BR)

• 1558 (SR) appears to have been allocated there for a short time in 1953 (BR) 

To settle my own problem I think pre-ordering 753 and Option 3 is definitely the starting point.

Then maybe I'll pluck up courage in a few years time to pursue Option 4............

Option 3 works for me. I'm looking at an unrecorded sale to an undisclosed light railway possibly under the Official Secrets Act that I couldn't possibly mention. :nono:

Cheers,

David

You don't even need a sale - the KESR hired a P class twice in the 1930s.

There is (of course) Option 4 : Renumber 753 to 27. But courage required to start hacking about a brand new loco, even if it is only replacing a few numbers.

Remember if you do that, 753 is one of the the first two with the taller cab/tanks. 27 has the lower type so you would need to renumber 178 to make it accurate Edited by Pre Grouping fan

I'm aware that taking this too far can result in using it as an excuse to do anything you want, but I think it's worth considering that if the line you are modelling had actually existed, history would be different. Not using a particular model because in our timeline it was allocated to a shed a long way from your model location, doesn't mean in the timeline you've created it wouldn't have been allocated elsewhere. You just need a plausible explanation.

Star Trek can be very useful in helping to understand these things :).

• Like 1

Remember if you do that, 753 is one of the the first two with the taller cab/tanks. 27 has the lower type so you would need to renumber 178 to make it accurate

Thank you for your comment PGF. I'll bear that detail in mind when choosing.  Although I do like the taller tank .......decisions, decisions.

Like many on this thread I have been looking at the development of these models and deciding on which one

My intention is that the loco's and rolling stock will start off in SE&CR and then change to Southern and then BR(S) through a running sequence, ending up with EMU's, Class 73's etc. (I'm not sure how I'll hide the third rail on a layout based in deepest, darkest, Kent whilst in SE&CR mode though......tomorrows problem).

I have done similar research. It is not just the third rail, even buildings signals and track work change. You can just about do late SECR to 50s steam for certain places but those 3rd rails and modern brick buildings soon arrived quickly.

I concluded that two layouts will be required,

• 3 weeks later...

I would agree.

If a P class can find its way to an obscure County Durham colliery screens then it could just as easily find its way anywhere.  

Les

Don't know if i've missed something on the thread, but did this happen, and where? Only P class in the North East i'm aware of was when 178 visited the Tanfield a few years ago