SECR P Class 0-6-0T in OO Gauge from Hattons

Hattons Dave

I missed my walk today because of the rain that was forecast so I was in when the postman arrived with 'Bluebell'.

I have not had a chance to run it yet as I use the club's layout but it looks splendid. I like the absence of bits to glue on and that it fits in the box with the couplings on. I am also pleased that I don't have to join a collector's club to get the preserved version. I missed out on getting a 3D crew but I like the disks and the lamps in the detail pack. Separate lamps reminds me of my early days when the Hornby 0 gauge clockwork locomotives had lamp brackets to fit the lamps on.

I was surprised that there were no oiling instructions or advice about minimum track curves. I presume that you just oil the axle and coupling rod bearings and that the locomotive will take 15" curves.

To attach the photograph I reduced the number of pixels in 'paint' to 1500 in the horizontal mode and then clicked 'save'. Next I replied with attachments.

To find suitable rolling stock to go with 'Bluebell' I looked up http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/rolling-stock.html

post-17621-0-38212300-1522256458_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Some people don't worry about stuff like that. If they like it in blue, they'll buy it. 

Fair point, must admit i ordered a SE&CR one as well, not that i have anything to run it on (yet).

Edited by tender
  • Like 1

Tried fitting a Bachmann 36-558A decoder - body will not fit back on properly, presumably due to the width of the decoder.

I don't recall Hattons comment on a decoder for the P, though they HAVE advised to only use small decoders on the Barclay.   I've bought a DCX77Z for mine.  If that doesn't go in then nothing will...

On Bachmann decoders having had two blown completely and several others lose the plot in the middle of exhibitions (loco suddenly stops and on investigation the decoder has reset itself to address 3) I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole these days.  Note all these failures have been in Bachmann/Farish locos...

Les

I don't recall Hattons comment on a decoder for the P, though they HAVE advised to only use small decoders on the Barclay.   I've bought a DCX77Z for mine.  If that doesn't go in then nothing will...

On Bachmann decoders having had two blown completely and several others lose the plot in the middle of exhibitions (loco suddenly stops and on investigation the decoder has reset itself to address 3) I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole these days.  Note all these failures have been in Bachmann/Farish locos...

Les

Les, were the failures the old 36-558 decoders, or the newer 36-568 ones? The old ones weren't much cop, in my opinion, but so far i am very happy with the newer ones - I haven't tried one in a P because I haven't received mine yet.

• RMweb Gold

Actually given Bluebell has visited the Severn Valley, Battlefield, Chernut Valley and Spa Valley Railways in recent years there is plenty of potential for it being 'hired in'

Similarly number 178 has visited other railways and is currently on loan to the NRM (a hire helped by the condition of the cylinders which make it pretty useless on its home line).

Granted it is restricted to the preservation era, but as as I have pointed out many times in the past creating a good preserved model railway requires every bit as much attention to detail as a say a 1950s cross country route set in the Midlands or whatever - and all the sneering that goes on by some when the concept of modelling a preserved railway is undeserved.

post-18087-0-21083200-1522273222_thumb.jpg

Churnet Valley, Feb 17

• Like 6

Cannot compare to a kit built P class, but I have put it next to a Hornby Terrier: -

post-3433-0-38614800-1522274013_thumb.jpg

The Hattons P makes the Terrier look really clunky, also the buffer heights are wrong on one of them.

I do have an SEF kit on the "to do" pile, will have to wait until someone get me "A round tuit" for that one though. ;)

• Like 5

Ok, tested my first 3 Ps on the layout tonight.

First up 31027 - the model has more guts than the prototype, excellent smooth running. Stronger than the Beatty Well tank and Hornby Terrier, better slow speed control than those, the H class and a DJM austerity. The motor has plenty of guts. Only slight niggle to sort is that one of the handrail knobs was not attached to the hand rail. Easy enough to sort out later.

Next 323 Bluebell. On the track, does not move! Oh! Put 31027 behind it, does not move either. Take off 323, 31027 shoots off. Clearly a short here. Off the body comes. Checked the chassis over. Nothing obvious. Place that on the track, off it goes just as good as 31027.

While here, Took the opportunity to exploit the sound fitting too. Now the instructions are the sort of thing I do not like. There is space for speaker by removing a weight, very good, but it then proposes loksound v4 6 pin, cut a hole through the fire hole and placing the chip in the cab (Hattons do say that this is recommended only if you feel confident, and this is a small loco). I have a zimo 6 pin sound decoder pending fitting into a Bachmann E4, this is shorter than a loksound v4 and yep it looks like I can one (hard wired) into tank side as shown here:

post-15098-0-29888400-1522273507_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-39002100-1522273543_thumb.jpg

With no apparent issue with the chassis, I screwed the body back on (this model is dead easy to take apart BTW), and she worked perfectly, showing the same guts and smoothness as 31027.

Next out was 754, the SECR grey one. For some odd reason the plastic sleeve of the ice cube packaging was super tight. It took a full five minutes to slide it off! Once off, one of the little steps had come of the main side steps, probably from fighting to remove it from the box. Glued it on and she run just as well as the other too. Overall I cannot remember having 3 models of the same class and all three running like each other to exceptionally high standards. But the Hattons P is very well designed here.

Anyway some pics, first the 3Ps together, Cab height and buffer differences are so subtle, you feel that they probably did not need to tool them up, but they did:

post-15098-0-31759100-1522274003_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-13996000-1522274096_thumb.jpg

Now we move on to those other locos in the same collection photos. Here there be grey engines:

post-15098-0-72867000-1522274201_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-43414900-1522274233_thumb.jpg

Here there be black "uns

post-15098-0-56182200-1522274289_thumb.jpg

Next a pic of an SECR loco with 5 SECR wagons:

post-15098-0-52107900-1522274349_thumb.jpg

Overall, despite the minor issues at the start that were easily sorted, the Hattons P is a well design, thought out, tough and smooth running little loco. My only regret is not being able to afford more. One final thing, the buffers are sprung too.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

My one came yesterday, and although it hasn't been running, I have added the pipework, and temporarily added the cosmetic screw links. It will be getting sprung ones in the future!

An incredibly detailed model! Well done Hattons!!

post-22762-0-86909100-1522309517_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-53069900-1522309519_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-36498600-1522309521_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-13158000-1522309525_thumb.jpg

The cab detail is incredible!!

post-22762-0-98589000-1522309522_thumb.jpg

and one next to my Dean Sidings kit
post-22762-0-10989000-1522309516_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to reciving my SECR green one!!

Gary

• Like 11

Cannot compare to a kit built P class, but I have put it next to a Hornby Terrier: -

attachicon.gif20180328_180739.jpg

The Hattons P makes the Terrier look really clunky, also the buffer heights are wrong on one of them.

;)

Yes, the Terrier buffers are too high - well,  the whole body is - the most noticeable error on this model ........ but this isn't the thread for discussing this ................................

• RMweb Gold

P Class No 27 'Primrose' approaches Great Coles Wood Halt with a demonstration goods train.

I do like the history of the Nuthatch line on your website, but I have to respectfully point out one glaring error on the 'History' page.

Whilst you say that 31027 was obtained for the line in March 1960, I fear that you are mistaken, as that particular locomotive was sold to the Vale of Radnor Light Railway in Mid-Wales in 1951, where it worked, on and off, for another 14 years until the VoRLR was closed in August 1965. The fate of 31027 remains clouded in mystery after that date, with rumours of a private buyer taking the then-derelict loco to a private site 'somewhere in the Home Counties'. It certainly didn't follow fellow light railway loco 'Jennifer', an ex-LNER J72, into more conventional preservation in the hands of the Herefordshire Railway Society at their (then) site at Vowchurch.

Perhaps some wag changed the number on the loco for the Nuthatch line and has thus fooled the historians?  ;)

• RMweb Gold

I do like the history of the Nuthatch line on your website, but I have to respectfully point out one glaring error on the 'History' page.

Whilst you say that 31027 was obtained for the line in March 1960, I fear that you are mistaken, as that particular locomotive was sold to the Vale of Radnor Light Railway in Mid-Wales in 1951, where it worked, on and off, for another 14 years until the VoRLR was closed in August 1965. The fate of 31027 remains clouded in mystery after that date, with rumours of a private buyer taking the then-derelict loco to a private site 'somewhere in the Home Counties'. It certainly didn't follow fellow light railway loco 'Jennifer', an ex-LNER J72, into more conventional preservation in the hands of the Herefordshire Railway Society at their (then) site at Vowchurch.

Perhaps some wag changed the number on the loco for the Nuthatch line and has thus fooled the historians?  ;)

I've just been seriously duped - I read your first line, panicked, then turned to Google to see where I went wrong... :blush_mini:

...glad to say that I'm now fully briefed with the progress of Bethesda Sidings!

Thank you for the kind words and look forward to seeing which direction the "private buyer" took her...

• Like 2

..... maybe another bit of misinformation - or Fake News - there ............. wasn't 'Jennifer' a J nine-four ??!?

• Like 1

attachicon.gif20180328_180739.jpg

I do have an SEF kit on the "to do" pile, will have to wait until someone get me "A round tuit" for that one though. ;)

post-2049-0-48040200-1522328836.jpg

There you go then! So what's the excuse now?

Stewart   :jester: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I've just been seriously duped - I read your first line, panicked, then turned to Google to see where I went wrong... :blush_mini:

...glad to say that I'm now fully briefed with the progress of Bethesda Sidings!

Thank you for the kind words and look forward to seeing which direction the "private buyer" took her...

You are most welcome, your layout is just the sort of thing that floats my modelling boat these days.

The fate of 31027 post-1965 may have to wait a while, as my focus is definitely on 'Bethesda Sidings' prior to 1965, but who knows?

..... maybe another bit of misinformation - or Fake News - there ............. wasn't 'Jennifer' a J nine-four ??!?

Well, here's some evidence about what type of loco she was  :) :

post-57-0-62267300-1522331765.jpg

On the other hand, there is some evidence that the military did use a J94 'Austerity' tank at their depot at some time during the early 1960s, although the loco concerned is also known to have worked on the South Polden Light Railway in Somerset.

• Like 2