SECR P Class 0-6-0T in OO Gauge from Hattons

Hattons Dave

How are people getting on with the route discs? I just had a hell of a time trying to glue three to my Merchant Navy, there's no groove for the lamp iron to go in to and they seem to be super glue resistant and prefer sticking to metal and skin rather than plastic, but I got there!

post-29051-0-40926900-1522335417_thumb.jpg

In my model world they absolutely ran Brighton - Salisbury

• Like 3

How are people getting on with the route discs? I just had a hell of a time trying to glue three to my Merchant Navy, there's no groove for the lamp iron to go in to and they seem to be super glue resistant and prefer sticking to metal and skin rather than plastic, but I got there!

attachicon.gif20180329_155211.jpg

In my model world they absolutely ran Brighton - Salisbury

In plastic vs plastic, polystyrene cement, it melts and welds the 2 parts. Or a thick super glue. tip the loco pointing upwards (if you can) and ensure it is secure in place (i;e won't move during the operation), alternatively you could trying using small wooden pegs they sell these days for cocktail displays etc to hold them (don,t get glue on them) IF you don't want to be holding it yourself while the glue takes hold.

When attaching the disc, add a very small amount of bluetac to the tip of a small screwdriver, it must not be too sticky, just enough to pick up the disc but less sticky than the glue. Under magnification, place onto the lamp iron.

Personally, I've brought etched discs for mine, these need to be cut and painted but have a fold up hole to slide over the lamp iron (still super glued though) but I have used plastic in the past (those dreadful Hornby ones, and the far better Bachmann in the E4).

One final thing, make sure the family have gone to bed to avoid stressful interruptions! You used to be able to buy super glue activator though the odor tasted like cyanide!

Put a Zimo MX622N in my Bluebell nicked from a currently unused GF 25. One mod I have done is to slip a tiny piece of blutak in the groove that the pcb is meant to sit in as it seemed to jump out all too easily. More musing whilst the body was off is how simple the body does come off (Hornby in particular should take note) and all the screws are the same length (something for Bachmann to note)

• Like 1

Bachmann 's are my favourite for sure! I'm always reluctant to use poly cement around model trains, It's ruined paint work on more than one occasion >.< I have previously melted off a bit of the yellow lining on the Merchant Navy where I had a bit on my thumb without realising, vowed never to let it near a loco ever again!

• RMweb Gold

For cosmetics I try to use double sided tape as much as possible, and trimmed it to less than 1mm sq on occasion.

Whilst it’s a bit tricky to cut and use tweezers to such small sizes, it doesn’t damage the paintwork and you can retry as many times as you like.

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifPP.jpg

I will collecting mine from the old man's at the weekend.

WOO WOO!

North Eastern Railway (NER) Class H2 and LNER J79, I presume. I am delighted to see this, as it had struck me it wouldn't be difficult to convert the P class to a J79.

John Storey

• Like 1

Another Question, should 1555 have the number on the front buffer beam like 1556 here? I found its absence unusual, but if that's how it was then fair enough :) 

http://www.semgonline.com/steam/pics/mm_1556.jpg

Likewise, I noticed 1558 doesn't have a number on the cab rear or the front buffer beam but again, I presume that's how it was?

• RMweb Premium

The mobile version of the website doesn't let you react to posts so I shall say thanks for the tips!

On Android you should have button at the bottom of the page saying "Full Version", just click that and voilá (oh and get yer magnifying glass out too) ;)

Edited by Tim Dubya

Just got home to see my pair 323 Bluebell and 31027, stunning, gorgeous and many many complements but my Bluebell is missing it's smokebox lamp irons, not in the box and not in the detail pack... a tad disappointing but otherwise absolutely wonderful models that I'm looking forward to giving a good run!

Think I might have to send 1555 to be replaced or at least looked at, compared to 1558 that glides along the tracks from a very slow start and is smooth as anything, 1555 is a bit jolty, sometimes doesn't start at all unless I nudge it, and makes it look like it's effort for it to turn wheels, can hear its not as smooth running as 1558 too, did try cleaning a bit of dirt of the wheels but it hasn't made much difference, it's also derailing on points where 1558 isn't, perhaps it's just a dud

• RMweb Gold

Just got home to see my pair 323 Bluebell and 31027, stunning, gorgeous and many many complements but my Bluebell is missing it's smokebox lamp irons, not in the box and not in the detail pack... a tad disappointing but otherwise absolutely wonderful models that I'm looking forward to giving a good run!

The lamp irons are tiny, I missed they were missing first, and only spotted it on my post on rmweb.

Gutted I went back to the box to find it in the paperwork.

It’’ll probably be in the box, put everything on white paper, shake it out gently, then run your fingers over every bit of the foam insert too..

You looking for a sliver of plastic you’d not think twice about throwing in the bin or letting fall to the floor.

Best of luck.

I once found a yellow hard shell insect about 1cm long and 3-4mm wide in the box of a Dapol class 22.. long since dead.. probably hid in the body shell and fell out. I went back to the seller and enquired if he collected insects, worried it might have eggs in there, but he replied no and had never opened the box, so I felt safe it was a year or two since it died in the box.. no exotic monster in my loft 2 years later so I think i’m Ok. I tried looking it up on the net but didn’t find anything that remotely looked like it.

Edited by adb968008

My missus bought me the "Pride of Sussex" P for my birthday. I did specify that one because a friend and I came upon it at Robertsbridge in 1967, when we were doing a massive trip round Wales and the south country in a hired Mini.

I now have to think what to do with it! It's such a beautiful little thing that it needs a context - I may try a mini diorama with a background of Hodson's Mill. Maybe a couple of dirtied down vans too, but I really haven't got the guts to weather the loco into the state it was in at the mill. I also don't think I'll add the large lump of timber which was held on by the rear lamp irons in one shot. I suspect it was in use as a chock or a sprag!

• Like 3

My missus bought me the "Pride of Sussex" P for my birthday. I did specify that one because a friend and I came upon it at Robertsbridge in 1967, when we were doing a massive trip round Wales and the south country in a hired Mini.

I now have to think what to do with it! It's such a beautiful little thing that it needs a context - I may try a mini diorama with a background of Hodson's Mill. Maybe a couple of dirtied down vans too, but I really haven't got the guts to weather the loco into the state it was in at the mill. I also don't think I'll add the large lump of timber which was held on by the rear lamp irons in one shot. I suspect it was in use as a chock or a sprag!

FWIW The KESR have done a Pride of Sussex van previously that could go with the loco.

post-15098-0-94115100-1522358413_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Received my model of 27 in Bluebell Black today

After running in I realised the firemans side tank looked bare. The fire irons and their fork was missing so onto the workbench.

The fire irons are shortened versions of the etch set supplied with the Kernow Adams O2 and sold by them separately. The loop used for hanging them was folded back on with tweezers. Then a piece of the scrap etch from the irons was used to form up a fork to fit to the tank. One side being doubled up and folded flat underneath to give it a larger area for the epoxy to adhere to, its bound to be prone to knocks.

post-32859-0-87381900-1522358588.jpg

Not exactly as it should be but looks good enough I feel. Google was used to determine position and size of the irons and fork.

post-32859-0-96545700-1522358077.jpg

The 3 oil cans were epoxy'd to the drivers side tank just ahead of the cab. Unsure whether to use Model U lamps or the supplied one, both in first pic, thoughts?

post-32859-0-53130800-1522358078.jpg

Might do these for others if wanted, already had a couple of mates ask for some so PM me if interested in a set/s

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Waiting for me when I got home from work.  Nicely packaged although the sleeve around the packaging was very difficult to remove. FItted a dcc concepts chip and stay alive (a tight squeeze). Runs very well. Next task is to paint the modelu figures.post-11919-0-81343900-1522360037_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Just wondering if I could get away with Bluebell on my west country BR period layout. Is this the furthest west Bluebell has penetrated?

How far did she travel by rail, was The Bluebell Railway connected to the BR network in 1984?

[/url]323 leaving E. Somerset Rly. Cranmore. 23 May 1984 by CLIFF BANCROFT, on Flickr">http://19222070516_ce75a04e58_k.jpg323 leaving E. Somerset Rly. Cranmore. 23 May 1984 by CLIFF BANCROFT, on Flickr

[/url]323 at East Somerset Rly. Cranmore. 23 May 1984 by CLIFF BANCROFT, on Flickr">http://19061678359_82e3215f14_h.jpg323 at East Somerset Rly. Cranmore. 23 May 1984 by CLIFF BANCROFT, on FlickrFlickr

Edited by bubbles2
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Just wondering if I could get away with Bluebell on my west country BR period layout. Is this the furthest west Bluebell has penetrated?

How far did she travel by rail, was The Bluebell Railway connected to the BR network in 1984?

[/url]323 leaving E. Somerset Rly. Cranmore. 23 May 1984 by CLIFF BANCROFT, on Flickr">http://19222070516_ce75a04e58_k.jpg323 leaving E. Somerset Rly. Cranmore. 23 May 1984 by CLIFF BANCROFT, on Flickr

[/url]323 at East Somerset Rly. Cranmore. 23 May 1984 by CLIFF BANCROFT, on Flickr">http://19061678359_82e3215f14_h.jpg323 at East Somerset Rly. Cranmore. 23 May 1984 by CLIFF BANCROFT, on FlickrFlickr

There was no connection between Bluebell and the Big Railway between 1964 and 2013.

Nice to see Bluebell with the proper cast nameplates. I'd love to see them fitted again.

• Like 2

Waiting for me when I got home from work.  Nicely packaged although the sleeve around the packaging was very difficult to remove. FItted a dcc concepts chip and stay alive (a tight squeeze). Runs very well. Next task is to paint the modelu figures.attachicon.gifDSC_0089.JPG

That makes 2 of us. I wonder why the sleeve on the grey one is so hard to get off?

I swapped the sleeve over with Bluebell which was a lot less snug and now both slide off easily.

• Like 2