SECR P Class 0-6-0T in OO Gauge from Hattons

Hattons Dave

That makes 2 of us. I wonder why the sleeve on the grey one is so hard to get off?

I swapped the sleeve over with Bluebell which was a lot less snug and now both slide off easily.

My BR black one was a struggle as well, it won't be going back on.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/110691393@N07/36768033653/in/album-72157638438054524/

My missus bought me the "Pride of Sussex" P for my birthday. I did specify that one because a friend and I came upon it at Robertsbridge in 1967, when we were doing a massive trip round Wales and the south country in a hired Mini.

I now have to think what to do with it! It's such a beautiful little thing that it needs a context - I may try a mini diorama with a background of Hodson's Mill. Maybe a couple of dirtied down vans too, but I really haven't got the guts to weather the loco into the state it was in at the mill. I also don't think I'll add the large lump of timber which was held on by the rear lamp irons in one shot. I suspect it was in use as a chock or a sprag!

Yes, I've got the same problem- Despite my main modelling interest being the LMS in the East Midlands, I couldn't resist the Pioneer II version- and so far the only plausible reason I can come up with is that I worked in Sittingbourne for a few years in the early 2000s, around the time the paper mill closed. Delivered yesterday, I ran it in a little this morning on my test track, and it's a lovely thing.

At least the layout I'm currently planning does have a colliery branch, so maybe I'll invoke rule 1 and suggest that at some point between leaving BR for Bowater's, it took a bit of a left turn at the lights and arrived at Ridham Dock via a stint at a Leicestershire colliery...

Looking at photos of 'Pioneer II', I noticed one tiny detail discrepancy that Hatton's have omitted (understandably as it's presumably unique to this loco during it's time at the paper mill)- the whistle is modelled in the usual position on the cab roof, but photos of the loco during it's Bowater's career show it relocated to a lower position on the cab front- I don't think I'll bother trying to move it, or adding the tarpaulin that some photos show attached to the cab roof- presumably an improvised effort to replicate the distinctive sliding shutter/window arrangement that some of the Bowaters locos had fitted to their cabs. A little Ridham Dock-themed diorama or shunting plank is starting to sound like a tempting idea as well...

My example of 325 arrived this morning and it looks exquisite!

One of our WD&DMRC club members brought a BR liveried example for demonstration on the test track last night. It ran like a dream! He also brought a Dapol Terrier as comparison; the Terrier is larger which really surprised me.

I shall take 325 next week and give it a try.

Edited by PenrithBeacon
  • Like 2

My BR black one was a struggle as well, it won't be going back on.

I had the same struggle with my SE&CR Grey one, Bluebell slid out with ease but I had to fight the other for a couple of minutes before it relinquished itself from the sleeve. 

Interesting the photos of Bluebell in 1984 given that Hattons describe the model as being 2010, the one obvious difference being the cab roof, or is merely very weathered.

The livery its self was different back then simpler lining and a cast nameplate. Think its carried Bluebell Black, Blue as seen in the pictures above, SECR plain green with SE 323 CR on the tanks and since 2010 the Blue version on SECR green which is why Hatton say it is 2010 onwards.

As for transporting it a lorry would most likely taken it to Haywards Heath Goods Yard where it would have been picked up by rail. A lot of the rolling stock was delivered that way after the Ardingly branch was cut off

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I had the same problem with the sleeve on mine, I resorted to cutting it as I could see no way to extract the loco without potentially damaging it.

The keeper plate is commendably thin, maintaining the light look of the prototype. However it is made from the same black plastic on all the models, including those with a painted chassis. This is why I took it off my no.754, while I was at it I took some photos.

post-6821-0-83586500-1522403248_thumb.jpg

post-6821-0-42569900-1522403247_thumb.jpg

post-6821-0-89351700-1522403245_thumb.jpg

Before refitting I painted the sides grey (Humbrol 27).

post-6821-0-35690600-1522403244_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Les, were the failures the old 36-558 decoders, or the newer 36-568 ones? The old ones weren't much cop, in my opinion, but so far i am very happy with the newer ones - I haven't tried one in a P because I haven't received mine yet.

Both.  The older ones are the ones that have given up the ghost completely.  

Both older and newer lose their addresses randomly in a way that doesn't happen with ANY of the other makes of decoder I have in what is now a combined fleet in 2 scales of about 130 locos.

Les

Edited by Les1952

• RMweb Premium

Love all the photos that are appearing on here! Clearly this model has struck a chord, rather more than with other new locos (sometimes hardly any photos appear).

Can someone put up a close up photo or two of the detailing pack, please? I'm particularly interested in the oil cans - they seem a brilliant idea, and can't help wondering if Hattons might make them available separately as a pack of, say, 12. I meant to mention this to Hattons at Model Rail Scotland, but of course the thought completely missed me on the day!

John Storey

• Like 1

Are the lamps the standard Modelu product? 3d printed in bright red with self-adhesive lenses? If so I dare say you could buy them from Modelu direct. Can't offer any advice about the discs though.

I'm still waiting for my lined SE&CR version so can't look in my own box!

Simple sprung axle in the mechanism too. Other manufacturers take note; always a welcome feature, it was regrettable that Bachmann dropped it.

Side note to observe that of all pre-group CME's Harry Wainwright has been spectacularly fortunate with uniformly good OO models of his locomotive oeuvre. Really only one of his 4-4-0s (it has to be the D surely) to complete the set of his significant designs now.

I had the same problem with the sleeve on mine, I resorted to cutting it as I could see no way to extract the loco without potentially damaging it.

The keeper plate is commendably thin, maintaining the light look of the prototype. However it is made from the same black plastic on all the models, including those with a painted chassis. This is why I took it off my no.754, while I was at it I took some photos.

attachicon.gifP_03.JPG

attachicon.gifP_04.JPG

attachicon.gifP_05.JPG

Before refitting I painted the sides grey (Humbrol 27).a

attachicon.gifP_06.JPG

i had not realized that an axel was sprung but I did test one of mine on some really rough track layed on foam underlay. The loco sailed through with full colours, the van behind it less so.  

• RMweb Gold

Simple sprung axle in the mechanism too. Other manufacturers take note; always a welcome feature, it was regrettable that Bachmann dropped it.

Side note to observe that of all pre-group CME's Harry Wainwright has been spectacularly fortunate with uniformly good OO models of his locomotive oeuvre. Really only one of his 4-4-0s (it has to be the D surely) to complete the set of his significant designs now.

High time we started a pressure group on this one.The continued absence of the D from the catalogue seems inexplicable

• Like 2

High time we started a pressure group on this one.The continued absence of the D from the catalogue seems inexplicable

If the NRM and Rails are not already working on it behind the scenes with Bachmann, I'd be very surprised.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If the NRM and Rails are not already working on it behind the scenes with Bachmann, I'd be very surprised.

Well you might think that,wouldn't you and indeed it does seem a natural progression but it's a long time coming and seems destined to be upstaged by other commissions/ events overtaking it.I fear it may never happen.This is the one mystifying omission from the NRM collection.

• RMweb Gold

Well you might think that,wouldn't you and indeed it does seem a natural progression but it's a long time coming and seems destined to be upstaged by other commissions/ events overtaking it.I fear it may never happen.This is the one mystifying omission from the NRM collection.

Perhaps there is a fear that Southern 4-4-0s are rather well catered for by T9 and V (Schools) classes.

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps there is a fear that Southern 4-4-0s are rather well catered for by T9 and V (Schools) classes.

Fear being the operative word with these two (not the best of ) examples.At this moment in time,step forward OO Works newly released Drummond D15 as a clear leader of the SR 4-4-0 pack..This is the one to beat.Anyway I'm off topic..sorry.

• Like 1

..  it (Wainwrigth D) does seem a natural progression but it's a long time coming and seems destined to be upstaged by other commissions/ events overtaking it.I fear it may never happen.This is the one mystifying omission from the NRM collection.

There's more than one* in my view, but never mind that now. I was very surprised (and grateful!) that in NRM steam commissions the GNR large Atlantic was followed by the GNR Stirling single: I was fully expecting something from SR territory following GWR, LMS, LNER territory steam productions, with the Wainwright D the 'easy winner' of Southern types in the collection on grounds of both elegance and significance as the start of a very successful 4-4-0 development line.

* Precedent, Columbine, Gladstone, Midland Spinner, D17, Tilbury tank, J69; all would go over well I feel. Should be a year for an announcement of another NRM item, let's see...

• RMweb Premium

Yes, still also missing the Mansell 0-6-0 in the shape of the Q too ;)

You do of course mean Maunsell, Mansell is better known for his coach wheels with wooden centres (and his later career as a F1 driver).