SECR P Class 0-6-0T in OO Gauge from Hattons

Hattons Dave

Did you need to remove the keeper plate to tweak the pickups? or can it be done without any disassembly?

Nope, just carefully bent them with a fine pair of tweezers from underneath.

• Like 1

Well the Cycling Lion version arrived on Thursday..

I Un-packed it very carefully..

Dropped it on the floor from 4 feet, very un-carefully..

Fortunately it was still in its inner plastic case

Waited until Saturday after I had done the tax returns to test it.

In spite of the tumble, it worked a treat..

And wow! Never such a good runner right out of the box..

No hesitation on points, it took all the layout could throw at it and never for an instant wavered..

It looks the part and acts it, thanks you Hatton's for commissioning it and my thanks to whoever designed and made it.

It's currently having the time of its life with the gate stock...

And for its size it really should not be pulling much more, but it works as if it could handle a full rake of Pullman's.. :)

Edited by Bill
  • Like 2

It is the quality and finesse of Hattons P class that I find impressive.

Bearing the above in mind I wondered who the manufacturer was.

Comparing the P other recent models, it struck me that it compares quite well to

some recent Hornby models. So I am wondering if the factory used is one of those

that Hornby commissioned after their production troubles a few years ago.

Whoever made it, it is a credit to all concerned.

• Like 1

I am sorry that I don't know which factory in China the P class was made.

Last Friday at last I was able to run in my model of Bluebell on the Tri-ang Hornby test track at Winterborne Kingston village hall. It did not derail on the joint at the centre unlike a Hornby Hall running backwards but it did draw more current. I had our ancient Hammond and Morgan controller on low resistance.

I tried Bluebell with a Tri-ang Hornby Transcontinental diner and observation car as I thought that the two shades of blue went well together. The coaches are surprisingly light as the Trnscontinental passenger diesels are much weaker and lighter than they look.

Next I tried Bluebell with three Southern birdcage coaches. I think this is a reasonable approximation of a Bluebell Railway train. The Bachmann coaches are much heavier than the Tri-ang Hornby Transcontinental coaches but are very free running and 'Bluebell' managed these with ease. One of the coupling arms had come off one coach but it remained coupled due to the smooth running of the locomotive. I think 'Bluebell's blue livery clashes a bit with the olive green livery of the coaches.

post-17621-0-45962200-1523302675_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-92532800-1523302753_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-83760300-1523302808_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I think 'Bluebell's blue livery clashes a bit with the olive green livery of the coaches.

Visually a couple of crimson & cream Mk1s (max load for the real thing these days) will go well with Bluebell (it suited the BR Express passenger blue livery quite well in my opinion)

Otherwise Greasley teaks might look good (as we lack RTR metropolitan coaches) - they looked good as a combination on the real railway.

Finally the SECR maroon birdcages (particularly with their white roofs) are a nice combination - while the real railway lacks a maroon SECR birdcage it does have a couple of Maroon SECR  4 wheelers

Agree Olive green - or indeed any green simply doesn't 'work' with the SECR style livery - be that the genuine SECR green or Bluebell blue variants.

Last Friday at last I was able to run in my model of Bluebell on the Tri-ang Hornby test track at Winterborne Kingston village hall. It did not derail on the joint at the centre unlike a Hornby Hall running backwards but it did draw more current. I had our ancient Hammond and Morgan controller on low resistance.

I tried Bluebell with a Tri-ang Hornby Transcontinental diner and observation car as I thought that the two shades of blue went well together. The coaches are surprisingly light as the Trnscontinental passenger diesels are much weaker and lighter than they look.

Next I tried Bluebell with three Southern birdcage coaches. I think this is a reasonable approximation of a Bluebell Railway train. The Bachmann coaches are much heavier than the Tri-ang Hornby Transcontinental coaches but are very free running and 'Bluebell' managed these with ease. One of the coupling arms had come off one coach but it remained coupled due to the smooth running of the locomotive. I think 'Bluebell's blue livery clashes a bit with the olive green livery of the coaches.

A PROPER layout!

Series 3, Super 4 and System 6?  I suppose Standard (being prone to warping) isn't necessary as the rail size and geometry are similar to Series 3.  Did you let Bluebell have a go on the older track?  If so, how did it cope?

• Like 2

At last! My class P landed (literally) on the doorstep this evening just before supper. Happily Hattons did a first class job of packing and the contents were undamaged. I've had her on the rollers and she runs a treat. Well done Hattons, Canada Post, not so much.

Cheers,

David

Well done Hattons, Canada Post, not so much.

I hate to get on here and complain, but, honestly, NZ post is just as bad. Hattons advertises avg. 5 working days, it used to take this long, now its double that, and regardless of when I order I always seem to receive stuff on a Friday.

I just want my P! :(

/ rant 

First a rant, and now double posting (someone get rid of him!)

Is anyone able to shed some light on if 1558 (the SR sunshine version) could be renumbered as either 1557 or 1178, I'm unable to find any info in regards to buffers, cabs etc. 

any help greatly appreciated

Edited by Jack P

Oops, to be totally honest i'm not sure either. I'm after info on 1178 and 1557. Must be focusing too much on work, while at work..  :drag: have edited the original post to reflect this.

Edited by Jack P

A PROPER layout!

Series 3, Super 4 and System 6?  I suppose Standard (being prone to warping) isn't necessary as the rail size and geometry are similar to Series 3.  Did you let Bluebell have a go on the older track?  If so, how did it cope?

The Series 3 and Super 4 tracks were occupied with Tri-ang trains. I think that the P class would have coped with Tri-ang 15" radius curves but I am not sure about the Tri-ang points. I will have to try it next time.

• Like 1

First a rant, and now double posting (someone get rid of him!)

Is anyone able to shed some light on if 1558 (the SR sunshine version) could be renumbered as either 1557 or 1178, I'm unable to find any info in regards to buffers, cabs etc.

any help greatly appreciated

Not sure about those two but I found a photo of 1556 which had the sunshine livery applied a bit differently to 1558,

https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/SR-and-BRS/SECR-tank-engines/i-BcG99p2

I would be very interested in any photos of 1178 in late Southern days =)

• Like 1

I have that same tab open right now, that's why I wondered, as it was photographed at Brighton early 1949, I wonder if it would've ventured there in 1947.. Also interested in late SR photos of either of those 2.

I have that same tab open right now, that's why I wondered, as it was photographed at Brighton early 1949, I wonder if it would've ventured there in 1947.. Also interested in late SR photos of either of those 2.

According to Semgonline 1555 and 1178 were both based at Brighton in late Southern days, but I duno from what year they count as "late", my layout is set around 43/44, I think that's late enough :P

Those Triang rails must absorb a lot of current. On Low resistance, all 3 of my Ps just disappear into orbit as soon as I slightly turn the knob on my ancient H&M, even loaded (peco code 100 track).

According to Semgonline 1555 and 1178 were both based at Brighton in late Southern days, but I duno from what year they count as "late", my layout is set around 43/44, I think that's late enough :P

An article in Railway Bylines Dec 96/Jan 97 issue comments that during the war "Nos.1027,1178,1325 and 1555 were transferred to Folkestone, principally for duties on the steeply graded harbour line."

and

"Immediately prior to Nationalisation, the distribution of the class was:

Dover: 1027, 1325, 1555, 1556

Brighton: 1178, 1557

Folkestone: 1323, 1558"

Not sure about those two but I found a photo of 1556 which had the sunshine livery applied a bit differently to 1558,

https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/SR-and-BRS/SECR-tank-engines/i-BcG99p2

I would be very interested in any photos of 1178 in late Southern days =)

There's a slightly post-Southern shot of s1178 in "The Wainwright P Tanks" ( eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/Klaus-Marx/e/B001K6A2M4/ref=la_B001K6A2M4_ntt_srch_lnk_3?qid=1523437292&sr=1-3 ) with a bunker-side number and "BRITISH AIRWAYS" on the tank : this livery was carried 6/3/48 to 18/5/51 ( presumably paint-shop dates ). Both this loco and 1556 in the Mike Morant photo show large-headed taper buffers at both ends - no doubt for working Kingston Wharf at Shoreham. 

• RMweb Gold

At last I got around to running-in my Bluebell, and I agree with what everyone else says about how well the model runs. It does look exceedingly good with the birdcage set. Talking of which, another one in SECR livery with different running numbers would be nice.

Finally the SECR maroon birdcages (particularly with their white roofs) are a nice combination - while the real railway lacks a maroon SECR birdcage it does have a couple of Maroon SECR 4 wheelers

I would love a set or three of SECR livery 4-wheelers. Who can we persuade to make them?

• Like 1

So, there do exist some 3D printed kits of LCDR (later SECR) 4-wheel coaches, designed to go on Jouef RTR chassis. They're available from Matt Wickham's Bluebell Model Railway Shop on Shapeways, but they're not the cheapest thing in the world (about £35-38 a body, comparable with an etched coach kit, although the assembly of the body's been done for you, but still needs the painting).

I've recently drawn up some laser-cut card coach kits for LB&SCR 4-wheel coaches (£9 a kit, plus wheels, bearings and buffers - see the website in my signature), and could look into the possibility of producing similar ones for SE&CR coaches if there's a demand for them?

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 2

So, there do exist some 3D printed kits of LCDR (later SECR) 4-wheel coaches, designed to go on Jouef RTR chassis. They're available from Matt Wickham's Bluebell Model Railway Shop on Shapeways, but they're not the cheapest thing in the world (about £35-38 a body, comparable with an etched coach kit, although the assembly of the body's been done for you, but still needs the painting).

I've recently drawn up some laser-cut card coach kits for LB&SCR 4-wheel coaches (£9 a kit, plus wheels, bearings and buffers - see the website in my signature), and could look into the possibility of producing similar ones for SE&CR coaches if there's a demand for them?

Yes.

Next question.

At last I got around to running-in my Bluebell, and I agree with what everyone else says about how well the model runs. 

My two are beautiful runners too - but a little fast for my liking .... faster than my Hornby 'H' in fact ! ( Only tried at running-in speed so far - so I've no idea what the max is .... of either ! )

I ran 'Bluebell' with a rake of South Eastern and Chatham Railway birdcage coaches last night. I think that these coaches look better than the Southern birdcage coaches with 'Bluebell'. The members liked the model which kept pace with the diesel on the next track. No-one noticed that the coaches should be 4 wheel coaches to provide an authentic rake for the Bluebell Railway.

post-17621-0-15415500-1523608358_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-24387200-1523608411_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-11881200-1523608453_thumb.jpg

• Like 6