SECR P Class 0-6-0T in OO Gauge from Hattons

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Yes if want to revert back to original condition, the extra buffers help. You would need to remove the extra lamp irons to the sides of the smokebox door too. And maybe even fit motor train equipment (not supplied)!

The discs were used in SECR days as well as preservation. Often at  least one would have a painted black cross which is seen in some preservation pics too. Check some details here (this is post 1917 while the loco is in pre-1912 condition).

http://www.semgonline.com/headcodes/sheadcodes/07.html

I shall keep mine without discs or other modifications. It is a beautiful thing and if I do anything it will be to add a crew. Many thanks.

- Richard.

• 2 weeks later...

While checking stock for an exhibition, I pulled my P's 178 in SECR and 27 in bluebell black. When testing I noticed 27 had developed a jolt while stored. Pulled it apart and adjusted the pickups. Nope still the same.

I noticed the motor was slightly skew. Fiddled with the worm end and when lifting it slightly from the worm end, felt a small jolt (or it unclipping itself) tested it it and this seemed to fix it. Perhaps the motor clips make the motor sit slighly too low and cause the jolty running.

• 2 months later...
On 12 July 2019 at 15:42, jafcreasey said:

It was confirmed on Facebook today (July, 12th) that there are "no plans for another production run" however if they "get enough demand for them" it will be considered...

That is a shame. There are 3 of the non preserved members which they have not yet been done in neither SECR nor BR colours. And SECR Maunsell green has yet to appear too.

• Agree 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Has anyone had a problem fitting a DCC decoder to one of these? I've tried both a DCC Concepts zen and a Hattons' own brand one (both direct) and neither allow the body to sit fully back on the chassis - am I doing something wrong?

I've  not had any problems fitting DCC decoders to my Hattons P Class I have 3 of which 2 have Hattons decoders, the 3rd has a Gaugemaster, the Hattons decoders were brought specifically for the P class, a latter purchase of the 3rd P class I only had a 6 pin Guagemaster decoder available. Hattons have a YouTube video on fitting a decoder to the P class.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/09/2019 at 12:27, Robin Verth said:

I've  not had any problems fitting DCC decoders to my Hattons P Class I have 3 of which 2 have Hattons decoders, the 3rd has a Gaugemaster, the Hattons decoders were brought specifically for the P class, a latter purchase of the 3rd P class I only had a 6 pin Guagemaster decoder available. Hattons have a YouTube video on fitting a decoder to the P class.

On 27/09/2019 at 14:32, SRman said:

No problems with my two either: both have Bachmann 36-568 decoders, which are really rebadged Zimo products.

Thanks - the advice from Hattons was to file a little off the edge of the decoder PCB, which worked fine.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, AlexHolt said:

Is there any difference between the SECR Polished Brass and SECR Brass liveries?

https://www.hattons.co.uk/312291/hattons_originals_h4_p_002_secr_p_class_0_6_0t_753_in_se_cr_full_lined_green_with_brass_/stockdetail.aspx

https://www.hattons.co.uk/375592/hattons_originals_h4_p_015_secr_p_class_0_6_0t_27_in_se_cr_full_lined_green_with_polished_brass_/stockdetail.aspx

They look pretty similar to me. Doesn't look like the brass detailing is any different but I could be wrong? Not like the brass on the Hornby SECR models thats for sure. 

Not sure if its been answered already, can't find anything on forums search about this.

The brass colour on 27 is shinier/better. Noticed more on the dome. Afaik that's the only difference cosmetically. Physically the tanks/cab are higher on 753 because its one of the first 2 built

• 3 months later...
On 07/04/2019 at 00:21, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Quick question, should 1555 have the number in small on the front buffer beam? I only ask because the model doesn't, but 1556 clearly did, but no one has said anything about it and there are members on this forum who would be all over it if it was wrong, so maybe it's right for 1555? 

Quite the survivor is SECR Wainwright 'P' class  0-6-0T No 1556 depicted here on Kent & East Sussex (KESR) metals circa 1938. The coach is 45' brake compo KESR No. 3, ex SR 6413 formerly LSWR acquired by the KESR in 1932. No. 1556  didn't acquire its BR No. 31556 until March 1950 during its twelve year spell at brighton mpd which ended in 1961. That was followed by sale to the "Pride of Sussex" flour mill at Robertsbridge and eventual preservation on the latter day KESR heritage railway.

Hi, did you get any further on this question?

That photo is also shown on SEMG (other photos on that page show no buffer numbers, but they're of BR times, and that might be a BR thing), where it is captioned thus:

Nº1556 off Southern metals circa 1938 and working on the Kent & East Sussex line. The coach is 45' brake composite KESR Nº3, ex-SR Nº6413 (formerly LSWR) acquired by the KESR in 1932.

According to Wakipeedya:

In 1935, the K&ESR purchased a 2-ton Bedford LQ lorry, and another was purchased in 1936. In that year, the first of the locomotives hired from the Southern Railway arrived on the line, this was P Class No. 1556.

The only photo that I've found of 1555 doesn't show the buffer clearly:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SECR_P_class#/media/File:Brighton_Locomotive_Depot_geograph-2652145-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

I guess that there are two possibilities. Either all SR locos had the buffer number, and the Hattons' 1555 is incorrect; or they didn't and 1556 gained its number when hired by the K&ESR. One option that I'm toying with is renumbering 1555 to 1556 and using her on a fictional SR/K&ESR junction (there was a real junction at Robertsbridge).

Edited by truffy

In 1936 the London County Council hired P class 1555 for about 3 years it spent some of this time if not all on the Horton Light Railway, which served 3 of the 5 Epsom psychiatric hospitals and the power plant for the hospital cluster, the exchange sidings were at Ewell West on the South Western section, one of the few times a P class got onto the South Western section, 1555 was back on the Horton Light Railway during WW2 working Anti Aircraft railguns, the railway was bombed several times, I have never seen a photograph of 1555 on the Horton Light Railway, photographs of this railway (and a number of other hospital railways) are quite scarce.

• Informative/Useful 3

29 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

All Southern-liveried locos should have bufferbeam numbers ......... and bunker / tender rear numbers too at most dates.

The odd thing is that HA-P-005 (1555) does have a bunker rear number, just not one on the front buffer.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A pre-owned "Bluebell" in blue has turned up on the Hatton's website. £210 - more than double the RRP when it was new - is a bit of an eye-watering price for an engine of that size. No doubt somebody will pick it up anyway, but I can't justify it having just bought a full rake of Mk1s...

Edited by MattA
  • Funny 1

Bit of an odd request, but if anyone who has purchased A Hatton's P and is interested in selling off the (unused, not fussed if it's open) detail pack/spare buffers they haven't used, please drop me a PM. 

After multiple, and not fussed if it's just the couplings etc. Thanks in advance. 

19 hours ago, MattA said:

A pre-owned "Bluebell" in blue has turned up on the Hatton's website. £210 - more than double the RRP when it was new - is a bit of an eye-watering price for an engine of that size. No doubt somebody will pick it up anyway, but I can't justify it having just bought a full rake of Mk1s...

If they are really selling for those prices, its a sign to do another run of - say - 200.