SECR P Class 0-6-0T in OO Gauge from Hattons

Hattons Dave

9 hours ago, JSpencer said:

If they are really selling for those prices, its a sign to do another run of - say - 200.

I'm lucky enough to have got Bluebell first time round, but given how popular it seems to have been, it would be nice to see another run at the normal price for those who missed out. Its a shame that for 'special' liveries, if you're not in a position to buy when they are released (or sometimes even before), you will not get the loco you want. Look at the Bachmann SECR C!

A great choice for Hattons to have made:

• Beautiful, unique and exquisitely finished livery on an already fantastic model
  • Whilst this livery is unique, it is based on the popular SECR livery which is already a proven seller
  • Prototype at a world famous railway, which was running at the time of release
  • Seems to have been popular amongst the Thomas contingent on Twitter

I'm sure people with more industry knowledge than I could add in several more points as to why it sold well, and commands a high second hand price. The model seems to be pretty robust as well, so even well used loco would likely still look great if sold second hand.

The other original model that sold well was the Olive green livery. I was a bit surprised to see them produce two ROD liveries and not a further southern Olive, aside from the tie in with the Hattons warwells. Olive seems to always be a fast selling livery. I have probably said before on the other P class thread but, I would be in the market for an Olive Green A27 as this is the planned livery for No.27 when it is outshopped from its current overhaul (unless plans have changed).

I wonder if 323 in early Bluebell black may also come in a future batch, to complement Primrose in this condition. Alternatively, it appeared in a similar livery but with Yellow lettering and red connecting rods.

If you haven't seen James Pegg's lined SR black, it can be found here: 

Hattons have done well to cover so many liveries already. Hopefully the market can sustain a plethora of further releases!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I'm hoping for another olive model as I'm after one. I would also buy a SECR goods green model that I don't think has been done yet. Toying with rebranding a ROD one as the livery looks very similar based on the pictures from the bluebell website. A rerun or SECR grey would also be on my shopping list. 

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

I sent my Class P away earlier this week to Digitrains for sound fitting.  

Second rather silly clip (poor quality- with phone) but it has something else inside as well as sound...

All the very best

Les

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

I just stumbled across this Flickr picture of the real life Pride Of Sussex on the  James Hodson & Sons Robertsbridge Flour Mill branch in the 60s.

And I found this one as well by Gordon Edgar  (of course!) from 1970

See mine on Page 9. Well, my dad's photo really.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Its suggested that 5027 was repainted into SE&CR grey in 1916 when it was repatriated following a bump in France. 

Not sure on 753. 

Rob. 

On 20/06/2021 at 15:51, Georgeconna said:

Would EFE take this yoke on at some stage I wonder?

I think there is still scope for hattons to produce more before hand. Even if just bundled with their genesis coaches. Secr goods green hasn't been covered yet. Another olive model should be a sure seller and another bluebell would be a win. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Mr chapman said:

I think there is still scope for hattons to produce more before hand. Even if just bundled with their genesis coaches. Secr goods green hasn't been covered yet. Another olive model should be a sure seller and another bluebell would be a win. 

I got two , Bluebell and BR Crested one. I have a soft spot for Bluebell to remember a fab day out with my Dad in 2016 on the BB Railway itself and the loco was in Steam in Horsted Keynes in the Bright sunshine! She looked Lovely!

IMG_5381[1].jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Mr chapman said:

I raised the question of a re-run when I rang to order one of mine earlier this year. 

I was told that Hattons tended not to do re-runs. Essentially when they go, they go. 

I am therefore not holding my breath, much as I would like another. 

Rob. 

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

I was told that Hattons tended not to do re-runs. Essentially when they go, they go. 

That’s a shame as I would’ve liked the late crest version. I missed out first time round. Guess it’s back to trawling through eBay in the hope of picking one up. 

Big James

Edited by Big James

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Big James said:

That’s a shame as I would’ve liked the late crest version. I missed out first time round. Guess it’s back to trawling through eBay in the hope of picking one up. 

Big James

The early crest version is still available and at a 'bargain' price of £84, 

https://www.hattons.co.uk/375593/hattons_originals_h4_p_016_secr_p_class_0_6_0t_31556_in_br_black_with_early_emblem/stockdetail.aspx

and ripe for conversion with a replacement crest?

all the best,

Keith

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

1 hour ago, tractionman said:

conversion with a replacement crest?

It would need a renumber too, as 31556 didn't gain a late crest.  The following link shows her working at Hodson's Mill in 1967, still with the early crest.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/93456400@N04/14768728309

Hattons published a list showing which body variations applied to each of their first twelve releases:

https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/mediaimages/PDetailMatrix.jpg

Hope that's of use.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 22/06/2021 at 04:39, Mr chapman said:

By SECR goods green, do you mean the short lived green livery applied during WW1 and depicted by 323 at the Bluebell? Am about to acquire a ROD P which I want to repaint into that green - as soon as I can find out what shade to use! Fox have suitable transfers. So nearly there apart from the very fiddly masking and spraying job ahead!

On 31/01/2022 at 16:28, stephennicholson said:

By SECR goods green, do you mean the short lived green livery applied during WW1 and depicted by 323 at the Bluebell? Am about to acquire a ROD P which I want to repaint into that green - as soon as I can find out what shade to use! Fox have suitable transfers. So nearly there apart from the very fiddly masking and spraying job ahead!

That's it exactly. I think the ROD Green might be alright. Just a case of stripping the lettering and renumbering it? 

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, stephennicholson said:

Thanks, it would be good if its that straight forward, but struggling to find any reference to confirm.

Paraphrased from an old BRM series on pregrouping liveries:

From 2015 repainted in unvarnished olive or 'sage' green with large yellow numbers and SECR. SECR painted letters replaced with a small cast plate after complaints from signalmen.  

Separately I have seen the ROD livery also described as unvarnished olive. So I am going to take the path of least resistance and just replace the numbers, the only remaining decision will be on how SECR is represented - but probably I will do the earlier version given thats supplied with the Fox transfers.

Edited by stephennicholson

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...