SECR P Class 0-6-0T in OO Gauge from Hattons

Hattons Dave

I received my Bluebell yesterday and was quite taken by how small it is. Gave it a run in today 15mins in each direction as stated in the pamphlet. Followed by a gentle saunter with 2 Maunsells. Reeally does look quite diminutive but at home at the same time. No issues either. Lovely little loco. Top marks to Hattons. 

• Like 3

OK, today I have managed to give my P Class a run, I gave it 30 minutes in each direction on the rolling road on DC after putting a small dab of oil on each axle bearing and on the coupling rods.

The only thing that needed "tweaking" was that I noticed that the back scratcher pick-ups lost contact at the extremity of the axle side play; so using Neil B's post (#834) showing the chassis base plate removed I gave the 8 contacts a bit of a bend. Be very careful disconnecting the brake stretchers from the hangers as they are delicate & could easily get broken, also watch the front set as they are above the sanding pipes.

Here are a couple of photos of the underneath after the work was done, the first is a general view: -

post-3433-0-92051600-1522439205_thumb.jpg

This one shows the pick-ups, the little phosphor bronze just below the springs: -

post-3433-0-77620500-1522439215_thumb.jpg

Lastly the front brake stretcher with the sand pipes: -

post-3433-0-48242500-1522439225_thumb.jpg

The last thing I noticed was that the left-hand middle & the right-hand bottom lamp brackets aren't on straight, I noticed someone else found one detached completely, but a tweak with some tweezers and a spot of glue will put them right: -

post-3433-0-31536900-1522439235_thumb.jpg

Otherwise I am very happy with the build quality, it does put some of the mainstream suppliers to shame. I was especially impressed with the method of getting the electricity from the base plate to the circuit board above, so many times I have taken the base plate off a locomotive to adjust the pick-ups only to find that there are a pair of wires soldered to the pick-ups that are too short and you can only get the base plate around 10mm from the locomotive.

I have also fitted a Gaugemaster DCC28 (now sadly discontinued) to the loco and it runs beautifully. :sungum: :sungum:

Well done Hattons, excellent job, looking forward to the Barclay arriving next month.

• Like 2

...I was especially impressed with the method of getting the electricity from the base plate to the circuit board above, so many times I have taken the base plate off a locomotive to adjust the pick-ups only to find that there are a pair of wires soldered to the pick-ups that are too short and you can only get the base plate around 10mm from the locomotive...

Hornby have been using this method of sprung plungers onto the pick up strips on their more recent steam releases, and I would suggest 'modified rapture' as compared to solidly reliable soldered wire connections. The problem is that the contacting surfaces are not subject to any wiping action to maintain clean metal to metal contact, and are in an oil vapour environment. In time this may lead to intermittent loss of contact. I have already soldered on replacement wire connections on a friend's J50 which was ignoring DCC commands, and that fixed the trouble instantly.

Hattons may well be using a different spring plunger design, different contacting metals spec. for a significantly better performance,so this may not apply. But 'modified rapture', keep it in mind as a potentioal cause if the model should start to be a little less reliable after some time in service.

• RMweb Gold

OK, today I have managed to give my P Class a run, I gave it 30 minutes in each direction on the rolling road on DC after putting a small dab of oil on each axle bearing and on the coupling rods.

The only thing that needed "tweaking" was that I noticed that the back scratcher pick-ups lost contact at the extremity of the axle side play; so using Neil B's post (#834) showing the chassis base plate removed I gave the 8 contacts a bit of a bend. Be very careful disconnecting the brake stretchers from the hangers as they are delicate & could easily get broken, also watch the front set as they are above the sanding pipes.

Here are a couple of photos of the underneath after the work was done, the first is a general view: -

attachicon.gifIMGP3349.JPG

This one shows the pick-ups, the little phosphor bronze just below the springs: -

attachicon.gifIMGP3353.JPG

Lastly the front brake stretcher with the sand pipes: -

attachicon.gifIMGP3356.JPG

The last thing I noticed was that the left-hand middle & the right-hand bottom lamp brackets aren't on straight, I noticed someone else found one detached completely, but a tweak with some tweezers and a spot of glue will put them right: -

attachicon.gifIMGP3357.JPG

Otherwise I am very happy with the build quality, it does put some of the mainstream suppliers to shame. I was especially impressed with the method of getting the electricity from the base plate to the circuit board above, so many times I have taken the base plate off a locomotive to adjust the pick-ups only to find that there are a pair of wires soldered to the pick-ups that are too short and you can only get the base plate around 10mm from the locomotive.

I have also fitted a Gaugemaster DCC28 (now sadly discontinued) to the loco and it runs beautifully. :sungum: :sungum:

Well done Hattons, excellent job, looking forward to the Barclay arriving next month.

You might just want to check your right lamp iron, attached to the smokebox.. it’s disorientated, I had to reattach mine, and someone else above already indicted there’s was missing.. yours may be loose, it seems not to be overly secure.

Hornby have been using this method of sprung plungers onto the pick up strips on their more recent steam releases, and I would suggest 'modified rapture' as compared to solidly reliable soldered wire connections. The problem is that the contacting surfaces are not subject to any wiping action to maintain clean metal to metal contact, and are in an oil vapour environment. In time this may lead to intermittent loss of contact. I have already soldered on replacement wire connections on a friend's J50 which was ignoring DCC commands, and that fixed the trouble instantly.

Hattons may well be using a different spring plunger design, different contacting metals spec. for a significantly better performance,so this may not apply. But 'modified rapture', keep it in mind as a potentioal cause if the model should start to be a little less reliable after some time in service.

Now you mention it I can see your point, I was just so pleased to be able to work on the base plate without the wires attached. I have a Hornby H class which hasn't been apart yet, but have not purchased anything else from them recently.

You might just want to check your right lamp iron, attached to the smokebox.. it’s disorientated, I had to reattach mine, and someone else above already indicted there’s was missing.. yours may be loose, it seems not to be overly secure.

Yes, middle left is on at a bit of a jaunty angle, but it is well secured, tried pulling it off with some tweezers and it wouldn't budge.

A question of those who got "Pioneer", what was in the accessories bag that came with the model?

TIA

Cheers,

David

Haven't opened the bag yet, but mine contains:

4x SR headcode discs

1x lamp

3x oil cans

2x coupling hooks/cosmetic screw couplings

2x steam heat pipes

...as per the instruction sheet, except I appear to have an extra disc, compared to the 3 specified on the sheet?

Edited by Invicta

Haven't opened the bag yet, but mine contains:

4x SR headcode discs

1x lamp

3x oil cans

2x coupling hooks/cosmetic screw couplings

2x steam heat pipes

...as per the instruction sheet, except I appear to have an extra disc, compared to the 3 specified on the sheet?

I got a bonus disc as well.`

• Like 1

Now you mention it I can see your point, I was just so pleased to be able to work on the base plate without the wires attached. I have a Hornby H class which hasn't been apart yet, but have not purchased anything else from them recently...

It's a major convenience for sure, and if it works reliably I'll stay with it. But as timetable operation is my principal reason for having a model railway, reliability is top priority. So the moment there is the hint of poor conduction, soldered connections go in. (For any interested, Bachmann's approach is to use a curved phosphor bronze wiper/spring as contacter to the pick up strips. These I don't trust at all, and solder wires on as soon as I am sure the mechanism is out of the 'infant mortaility' zone.

• Like 1

I've not handled either comparison locos so yes, it looks impressively small but there's still no yardstick...

How about comparing with a Hornby Sentinel?  Or a Bachmann Wickham Trolley?  :jester:

I have to say top marks to Hattons for these models. They are superb. I am very impressed with the finish, decoration and running qualities. The detailing externally and inside the cab is right up there with the best RTR.

For me, Bluebell 323 was pre-ordered purely on looks .... and I have no regrets! It is probably my most impressive 'Rule 1' purchase along with the H&P Peckett - maybe it is the blue colour that caught my eye in both cases. Looking forward to the Andrew Barclay ....

post-7266-0-47466500-1522504118_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

The Easter Bunny hopped down the lane earlier than expected and delivered an exquisite little present.

Displayed on arrival at Padstow Far Far West....

post-6958-0-13920400-1522521528_thumb.jpg

I haven't thought much about a decoder for this little gem. Will need to find a decoder with keep alive as I haven't been that good at track cleaning and maintenance lately.  And the layout is in US mode at the moment representing Avon Yard in Contra Costa County on the line to east to Stockton. (Notice the appropriation of English place names in California.)

Edited by autocoach
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

And the layout is in US mode at the moment representing Avon Yard in Contra Costa County on the line to east to Stockton. (Notice the appropriation of English place names in California.)

Yup - Costa Coffee is visible on many English high streets these days.

My drivers arrived today from Hatton's (yes, on Easter Sunday!), but the first P is still on its way. I doubt I'll get the driver and fireman painted to coincide with its arrival though. :)

• Like 3