SECR P Class 0-6-0T in OO Gauge from Hattons

Hattons Dave

The Easter Bunny hopped down the lane earlier than expected and delivered an exquisite little present.

Displayed on arrival at Padstow Far Far West....

attachicon.gif2018-03-30 Arrival at Padstow West C1.jpg

I haven't thought much about a decoder for this little gem. Will need to find a decoder with keep alive as I haven't been that good at track cleaning and maintenance lately.  And the layout is in US mode at the moment representing Avon Yard in Contra Costa County on the line to east to Stockton. (Notice the appropriation of English place names in California.)

Ruddy Americans.  You'd have thought they'd know how to secure a load properly!

• RMweb Gold

My Canute Road Quay layout http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/114980-canute-road-quay/?p=3108235 has been temporary relocated further to the South East since the arrival of these lovely models.

I will post a review on my blog www.grahammuz.com later this week.

post-243-0-75201800-1522577770_thumb.jpeg
post-243-0-39859200-1522577784_thumb.jpeg
post-243-0-82365100-1522577796_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 18

Looking forward to seeing my 2 next week.

I wonder who will be the first to lay a circle of track on top of a Loo seat and have this little loco running around on it as subtle joke at an exhibition.

Many years ago, someone put a circle of N-gauge track onto a lavatory seat and called it the Loo Branch. There is nothing new under the bum Sun. :D

• Like 1

I've not handled either comparison locos so yes, it looks impressively small but there's still no yardstick...

How about comparing with a Hornby Sentinel?  Or a Bachmann Wickham Trolley?  :jester:

I don,t have either of those, but as a yard stick, what about the venerable Hornby (ex Dapol) LMS pug? (Or a Garrett?)

post-15098-0-64695100-1522602055_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Oh gawd I'm trying to resist I'm trying to resist bad Shakespeare puns ;)

Do you mean something like, "To B4 or not to B4.  that is the question!" ??  :jester: 

I'd never stoop so low as to come out with that ... ;)

• RMweb Gold

I'd never stoop so low as to come out with that ... ;)

Nor would I.

Do you mean something like, "To B4 or not to B4.  that is the question!" ??  :jester:

To P4 or not P4 the B4 before the P, that is one question.

Edited by Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

I would like to apologise for lowering the tone of this august thread - in April. I would like to - but am not going to. So there.

That would only happen if it was 'To P or not to P, that is the question', ohh damn . . .

That would only happen if it was 'To P or not to P, that is the question', ohh damn . . .

Suddenly everyone's taking the P :)

My tiny little representation of the locomotive thus designated turned up last week in it's No.325 Southern Green guise, what a lovely little runner, nice 'n slow after running in. Trundles round Tillingham a treat; nice one Hattons.

I'll add a photo of my own Bluebell posed on my embryonic new layout. Temporary power to a straight of track revealed faultless performance so far. Trains will hopefully be running properly by the time 178 arrives!

Social media and this thread would have me believe that Bluebell has been the most popular, followed by the SR liveried examples. I'm sure that the BR versions are selling well too. I felt that Pioneer II and Pride of Sussex were particularly risky and make me wonder if the batch is split equally between liveries?

post-7423-0-51954000-1522702215.jpg

Its been a very pleasant thread to be part of these past few months - lots of photos of model and prototype and lots of positivity and humour! Thanks everyone.

Edited by Torn-on-the-platform
  • Like 9

I intended to post this last night, but internet issues prevented me. Having wasted so much time put so much effort into the 'Macbeth' rendition, I really wanted to post it!

A P, a P, my King Class for a P.

Stepney - Act 1, Scene 1

Steam and Whistles. enter three WAINWRIGHT P's.

Bluebell: When shall we P's meet again?

At Grinstead, Horsted or in Tenterden?

Primrose: When the Branch Line Gala's done - when 813 'as gone an' done one.

178: That will be 'ere the set of sun.

Bluebell: Where the place?

Primrose: At Horsted Keynes.

178: There to meet with Stepney.

Bluebell: I come, dear Sharpthorne!

Primrose: Foreman Calls.

178: Anon.

All: Steam is smoke and smoke is steam, head down the line from Horsted Keynes.

Exeunt 

Act 1, Scene 3

Steam. Enter the three WAINWRIGHT P's.

Bluebell: Where hast thou been, Sister?

Primrose: Killing Pheasants.

178: Sister, where thou?

Bluebell: A Maunsell U had coal in her tender

And shovelled, and shovelled and shovelled.

"Give me" quoth I:

"Aroint thee, P!", the Coal-fed mogul cries.

Her shedmate's to East Grinstead gone, loco o' the Wealden Rambler:

But light engine I will thither approach, and like a 1400 without an autocoach

I'll do, I'll do and I'll do.

Primrose: I'll give thee a fireman.

Bluebell: Thou'rt kind.

178: And I another.

Bluebell: And I myself have the driver.

And via the blower air will flow,

To draw the fire up, you know.

I the single line tablet.

I will drain the S15 dry as hay:

Steam shall neither night nor day,

Hang upon his cylinder cocks;

He shall live a loco, a c**k:

Weary se'nnights nine times nine

Shall he dwindle, cutting and bank:

Though his wheels cannot be lost,

yet they shall be tempest-toss'd.

Look what I have.

Primrose: Show me, show me.

Bluebell: Here I have a porter's thumb

Lost as trackwards he did come.

Whistle within

178: A whistle, a whistle! Stepney doth come.

All: The Wainwright P's, buffer in buffer ( :O ),

Posters of the rail and land,

Thus do go about, about:

Thrice to thine and thrice to mine

And thrice again to make up nine.

Peace! The charm's wound up.

Enter STEPNEY and FENCHURCH

Stepney: So fair and foul a day I have not seen.

Fenchurch: How far'st it called to Grinstead? - What are these,

So green and so blue in their paintwork,

That look not like inhabitants o' the 'Brighton'

And yet are on't? Live you? or are you aught

That A1 may question? You seem to understand me,

By each at once her smokebox dart laying upon her smokebox door:

You should be engines, and yet your small size forbids me to interpret

That you are so.

Stepney: Speak if you can: what are you?

Bluebell: All hail, Stepney! Hail to thee, Thane of Horsted!

Primrose: All hail, Stepney! Hail to thee, Thane of Grinstead!

178: All hail, Stepney, thou shalt be King hereafter!

Fenchurch: Good sir, why do you start and seem to fear

Things that do sound so fair? I' the name of truth,

Are ye fantastical, or that indeed

Which outwardly ye show? My noble partner

You greet with present grace and great prediction

Of noble having and of Royal hope,

That he seems rapt withal; to me you speak not.

If you can look into the seeds of time,

And say which grain will grow and which will not,

Speak then to me, who neither beg nor fear

Your favours nor your hate.

BluebellHail!

Primrose: Hail!

178: Hail!

Bluebell: Lesser than Stepney, and greater.

Primrose: Not so happy, yet much happier.

178: Thou shalt get kings though thou be none: So all hail, Stepney and Fenchurch!

Bluebell: Fenchurch and Stepney, all hail!

Stepney: Stay, you imperfect speakers, tell me more:

By Waddon's death I know I am Thane of Horsted;

But how of Grinstead? The Thane of Grinstead lives, 

A prosperous Dukedog; and to be king

Stands not within the prospect of belief,

No more than to be Grinstead. Say from whence

You owe this strange intelligence, or why

Upon this blasted yard you stop our way

With such prophetic greeting? Speak, I charge you.

Wainwright P's vanish

Fenchurch: The Earth has bubbles, as the water has,

And these are of them. Whither they are vanish'd?

Stepney: Into the air; and what seemed corporal melted

As steam into the wind. Would they had stay'd!

Fenchurch: Were such things here as we do speak about?

Or have we been fired on the insane fuel

That takes all reason prisoner?

Stepney: Your pups shall be kings.

Fenchurch: You shall be king.

Stepney: And Thane of Grinstead too, went it not so?

Fenchurch: To the selfsame tune and words. Who's here?

Enter CAMELOT and BAXTER

Is that taking the P enough? :jester:

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

I'll add a photo of my own Bluebell posed on my embryonic new layout. Temporary power to a straight of track revealed faultless performance so far. Trains will hopefully be running properly by the time 178 arrives!

Social media and this thread would have me believe that Bluebell has been the most popular, followed by the SR liveried examples. I'm sure that the BR versions are selling well too. I felt that Pioneer II and Pride of Sussex were particularly risky and make me wonder if the batch is split equally between liveries?

attachicon.gifBluebell resize.jpg

Its been a very pleasant thread to be part of these past few months - lots of photos of model and prototype and lots of positivity and humour! Thanks everyone.

I think Hattons told us which P class locomotives were most popular last year. I like the goods train. It could be what you would see on the Bluebell railway.

• Like 1

Its good to be able to post praise every so often....

Got to say this loco has restored my slightly dented faith in Hattons (having spent an age trying to correctly correct B2Bs on a poorly running Garratt w/o totally dismantling it :scratchhead: and so far with mixed success - the cylinder adjacent ones are dreadful to get at let alone set)

I ordered one of these (31027) last wed pm received it on Saturday on normal delivery charge- ran it in Sun on my test loops,and it happily runs  fast or slow, without hesitation and with or without towing 10 bogie coaches (5x railroad Mk1s +4x LSWR +Bmann Inspection coach) - it does lack the weight for the 11th (Railroad) coach on my gentle uphill gradient even with a bit of demented wheelspin :jester: - but thats still no so bad for a small loco and possibly better than the prototype (I await correction from P fan[atic]s!! :jester:)

5 stars for service and 5 stars for the loco I shall be ordering at least another, and it augers well for the Barclay as well

• Like 4

I think Hattons told us which P class locomotives were most popular last year. I like the goods train. It could be what you would see on the Bluebell railway.

You can look at best sellers on Hattons Website too. Certain like the Bluebell and BR types remain on top (the SECR Wainwright ones not out yet) . However while the private owner ones were bottom of the list last year, they have been mixing it with the rest. Suggesting that demand outside the 3 colourful ones and BR, is fairly close between them. The only items beating half of the Ps, are various Oxford diecast JCBs.  Will the 47XX knock the P off the top spot????

Its good to be able to post praise every so often....

Got to say this loco has restored my slightly dented faith in Hattons (having spent an age trying to correctly correct B2Bs on a poorly running Garratt w/o totally dismantling it :scratchhead: and so far with mixed success - the cylinder adjacent ones are dreadful to get at let alone set)

I ordered one of these (31027) last wed pm received it on Saturday on normal delivery charge- ran it in Sun on my test loops,and it happily runs  fast or slow, without hesitation and with or without towing 10 bogie coaches (5x railroad Mk1s +4x LSWR +Bmann Inspection coach) - it does lack the weight for the 11th (Railroad) coach on my gentle uphill gradient even with a bit of demented wheelspin :jester: - but thats still no so bad for a small loco and possibly better than the prototype (I await correction from P fan[atic]s!! :jester:)

5 stars for service and 5 stars for the loco I shall be ordering at least another, and it augers well for the Barclay as well

The P is wiithout doubt their best commission yet. They clearly listenned to feedback from previous commissions and applied it aptly to their own. Just as Kernow's Bullied diesel is their best commission to date too. The P almost certainly has my vote for model of the year, and that is with B4's, Lord Nelson and Atlantics on the way (I will be very surprised if nothing delay's the Terrier a few months TBH). Looking away from southern, there is the Stirling single - so the best list is not going to be a push over.

........... it happily runs  fast or slow, without hesitation and with or without towing 10 bogie coaches (5x railroad Mk1s +4x LSWR +Bmann Inspection coach) - it does lack the weight for the 11th (Railroad) coach on my gentle uphill gradient even with a bit of demented wheelspin :jester:

AH ...... that's how to run them in, then .......

• RMweb Gold

I intended to post this last night, but internet issues prevented me. Having wasted so much time put so much effort into the 'Macbeth' rendition, I really wanted to post it!

A P, a P, my King Class for a P.

I enjoyed reading this fully as much as I have enjoyed looking at folk's photos of their new 'Ps'.

Well done, that was excellent.

I have the praise of the good Cap'n! I feel truly honoured, Sir.

Incidentally, did the VoRLR possess any terriers as well as its J72's and P's? I feel like doing another terrier livery thingy...