SECR P Class 0-6-0T in OO Gauge from Hattons

Hattons Dave

I have had mine for a little while, giving it some running time on other peoples layouts as I don't live with my layout, pretty happy runs nicely, had a small issue where the pickups were not touching the backs of the wheels when going round corners, so I have tweaked those and runs nicely.

I have done a little review of the model, knowing this particular one reasonably well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uOUU__xY5Y

• Like 7

Oh gosh! Very nice indeed. I hope they arrive at the same time as the Barclays, to save on postage. Every little helps!

I have three of the ones which have already appeared and they deserve all the superlatives. It would have been nice if the domes had been plated, like Hornby’s H Class, but then that cries out for the safety valve mounting to be plated as well.

The couplings are a bit clumsy but removing one and replacing the other with a Bachmann one couldn’t be simpler.

My grey Bachmann C Class isn’t lonely any more. :)

• Like 2

From the Hattons' best selling list it looks like the sales of the P class are in the following order:1) Bluebell2) BR black cycling lion3) BR black late crest4) Southern Railway lined Maunsell green5) Pride of Sussex.

Yesterday pride of Sussex was just ahead of the SR one. Not much between the private owner and versions outside Bluebell and BR

Has anyone tried to fit the ModelU crew into the cab of their P class yet?

My crew has not yet been painted but am looking ahead to this task.

Found the instructions with a vague method of fitting the crew through the side door. Unfortunately my SR Sunshine 1558 appears to have the cab doors either painted or glued in place. As it appears the cab roof is also glued on this may prove a bit of a problem.

Edited by autocoach
  • Like 3

Following advice on this thread (and from Digitrains in Lincoln) I today fitted a Digitrax DZ126IN decoder. Ran sweetly. I then tweeted the cvs to those recommended by Digitrax for a quote Road Switcher. CV02 to 048, CV06 to 048 and CV05 to 098. Running now superb.

It is well documented that the Southern Railway modified some Birdcage Brake Thirds to run independently (not just as 3 car set) The P Class may not be documented as heading one of these singletons but it does on my railway!

post-4181-0-23695600-1522868874_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8

So the P was delivered to some customers in Australia yesterday. Has anyone in North America got theirs yet?

Cheers,

David

Edited to resemble the English language. I’m getting anxious.

Edited by davknigh
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It is well documented that the Southern Railway modified some Birdcage Brake Thirds to run independently (not just as 3 car set) The P Class may not be documented as heading one of these singletons but it does on my railway!

Excellent, been looking for an excuse to get a Birdcage 3rd, admittedly it will be running with my late BR P in ex LSWR territory ;)

Can you point me in the direction of one of these conversations online or in print?

TIA

• Like 2

Yesterday pride of Sussex was just ahead of the SR one. Not much between the private owner and versions outside Bluebell and BR

Bluebell is pretty and deserves to lead the pack, but it might be a slugfest when the Jolly Green SE&CR ones come off the boat next month.....

Excellent, been looking for an excuse to get a Birdcage 3rd, admittedly it will be running with my late BR P in ex LSWR territory ;)

Can you point me in the direction of one of these conversations online or in print?

TIA

One source is this site ie RMWeb under SECR Birdcage coaches. Over 35 pages though. I did start to scan but gave up on page 4!
  • Like 1

Ok P class with coaches pics.

First up, the BR black P chased off a BR black H to pull maroon birdcage

post-15098-0-70810800-1522878690_thumb.jpg

Next up, an SECR grey P chased off an SECR H class to pull SECR birdcage stock:

post-15098-0-37494400-1522878475_thumb.jpg

And finally Bluebell chased off Birch Grove to pull a Maunsall ex LSWR rebuild 320 and a PMV van

post-15098-0-29563100-1522878841_thumb.jpg

Do not under estimate the power of the P.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Found the instructions with a vague method of fitting the crew through the side door. Unfortunately my SR Sunshine 1558 appears to have the cab doors either painted or glued in place. As it appears the cab roof is also glued on this may prove a bit of a problem.

Just fitted my crew. A fiddly job but managed with a pair of reverse tweezers. Trick is to post the figure through the cab opening and then position - they dont fit through the "door space". The doors can be removed with care - they are glued in place. 

I am busy painting the crews up at present. Of course, I have to wait for each colour to dry properly before doing the next one, but they are slowly starting to look human.

After running the test train with Bluebell hauling the engineering wagons (warwell, 2 x sturgeon A, ex-SECR 'dance hall' ballast brake), I decided it would look good on either a Maunsell lined olive set or the SECR birdcage set ... I chose the latter for the next posed shot.

40346194035_86e649c996_b.jpg
Hattons P Class with SECR Birdcage Set by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

• Like 12

While I had the body off fitting the decoder I fixed the crew in place with black mastic to the side of the cab. I did try to remove the doors but they were to well glued.

While I had the body off fitting the decoder I fixed the crew in place with black mastic to the side of the cab. I did try to remove the doors but they were to well glued.

Fortunately the body comes off nice and easily with only four screws; unlike some other manufacturers, we don't have to remove the couplings to get at any screws. 

I'm just looking at the Hatton's instruction sheet and their section on fitting sound; it appears that the running plate can be separated from the boiler and cab with just two screws (under the cab and smokebox, according to the instruction sheet), allowing access to the cab floor. I haven't tried this yet, but it may be the way to go.

Hi all,

Following on from the release of the first batch of our P Class 0-6-0T locomotives, we have now also received production samples for the two SECR green versions (H4-P-001 & 002). The complex lining and crest have taken a little longer to be reproduced but, as you can see, it has really been worth the wait.

As soon as production of both SECR green versions is completed we will then be able to provide a more accurate update regarding when we expect the models to arrive in the country.

Both versions are still available to order for £99 each at THIS page on our website.

Cheers,

Dave

That looks absolutely stunning! ...are my eyes deceiving me, or have you managed to line out the *back* of the tanks, where they stick out beyond the cab by a few mm? Picking out the lifting arm for the steam reverser in steel too, very nice! This will definitely be worth the wait! 

• Like 1

TIA

Try an internet search for 'Rule 1' - you'll find exactly what you want !

1555 is on its way back to Hattons for replacement, meanwhile 1558 has been employed on the local parcel service. :)

Edit: finally a loco that doesn't looked over-powered pulling my maunsell composite in a 1 carriage train. :P

post-29051-0-69298300-1522931696_thumb.jpg

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
  • Like 4

That looks absolutely stunning! ...are my eyes deceiving me, or have you managed to line out the *back* of the tanks, where they stick out beyond the cab by a few mm? Picking out the lifting arm for the steam reverser in steel too, very nice! This will definitely be worth the wait! 

Your power of observation is enviable. I had to blow the image up to 400% on a television screen before I could see that there was something there. I have been so busy admiring the fineness of the red and white lining either side of the light blue on the outside of the tanks on Bluebell that I didn’t notice the rear end of the side tanks. Making the reasonable assumption that the arrangement of the lining on 178 will be the same as on Bluebell although the colours are different, I took a look at the rear of the side tanks under a strong work lamp and with a magnifying glass. The tank end is blue with red lining. Outside the red lining is a border of the same very dark green as the border outside the red line on the tank side. The dark green on the tank end only goes up as far as the horizontal red lining and goes down to the bottom of the tank but it doesn’t go inwards; the short lengths of the horizontal border above and below the red lining are blue.

It isn’t quite the full panel on the real thing:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e4/SECR_P_class_323_Bluebell_at_Horsted_Keynes_%281%29.jpg

but it is amazing to have detail so fine that I had to go to such lengths to see it. Into the bargain, I am short sighted, which has the benefit of making my close vision good.

• Like 1

They really weren't kidding at Glasgow when they said they reckoned they were the first RTR manufacturer to have *fully* lined out the SE&CR livery (note: the Hornby H class has a simplification of the lining on its steam reverser).

I remain amazed that Hattons have managed to keep the price at £99 for a commission with that level of detail, plus extras in the detail pack, can you image how much Bachmann would charge for the same product...?

You just have to consider how much Rails are asking for their Bachmann sourced Caly 812 (admittedly thats got a tender too).  Or the similarly sized Terrier they're commissioning from Dapol.

Against those, the P is excellent value!

Edited by Hroth