SECR P Class 0-6-0T in OO Gauge from Hattons

Hattons Dave

Well done, indeed, to Hattons

This was a great choice - an attractive prototype catering for pre-Grouping, Grouping, industrial users, BR and preservation.  

I hope that Hattons can continue to find such subjects, both in the field of locos and of rolling stock.

That said, there are still some notable omissions in the coverage of 0-6-0 goods engines - thought the gaps are closing - GNR, NER, LNWR and LB&SCR spring to mind.

You are not suggesting LNWR "radial" 2-4-2s and "Cauliflowers" or Midland 2Fs are you ?

Hi Phil,

1. There are some subtle differences between the two versions. 178 features short cab and tanks, plain rear cab windows and a single row of rivets on the smokebox. 753 has the tall cab and tanks, bars over the rear cab windows and two rows of rivets on the smokebox.

They are both supplied with stepped buffers pre-fitted but also include bottle buffers in the detailing pack for those wanting to fit them.

2. We're working on a few projects at the moment, as soon as we're ready to announce we'll make sure you know about it.

Cheers,

Dave

Is the next project another steam locomotive type?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well done, indeed, to Hattons

This was a great choice - an attractive prototype catering for pre-Grouping, Grouping, industrial users, BR and preservation.

I hope that Hattons can continue to find such subjects, both in the field of locos and of rolling stock.

That said, there are still some notable omissions in the coverage of 0-6-0 goods engines - thought the gaps are closing - GNR, NER, LNWR and LB&SCR spring to mind.

Cough.. L&Y cough... Edited by adb968008

Hi Phil,

1. There are some subtle differences between the two versions. 178 features short cab and tanks, plain rear cab windows and a single row of rivets on the smokebox. 753 has the tall cab and tanks, bars over the rear cab windows and two rows of rivets on the smokebox.

They are both supplied with stepped buffers pre-fitted but also include bottle buffers in the detailing pack for those wanting to fit them.

2. We're working on a few projects at the moment, as soon as we're ready to announce we'll make sure you know about it.

Cheers,

Dave

I'm considering buying 753 and adding the bottle buffers; if you don't mind me asking, what is the process of replacing them? Do they simply pop off or is it more complicated?

Thanks.

• Like 1

OK, what I will do is put an SECR P at each end of my SECR birdcage stock and then a Beilhack snowplow on each end of that train. It should make an impressive sight!

Ok, just heard that only one of my pair of Beilhacks in coming right away so the awesome train with Ps, ploughs and birdcages will only have one plough.

It should still be impressive though....

I'm considering buying 753 and adding the bottle buffers; if you don't mind me asking, what is the process of replacing them? Do they simply pop off or is it more complicated?

Thanks.

I intend to do the same, but if they are like other locos, you should be able to ease them gently off with a pair of thin nosed pliers. Wrap the shank in a couple of layers of tissue to avoid the pliers adding teeth marks.

Decidedly no apologies needed - those are some gorgeous photos of an absolutely stunning model. I'd be delighted to own something that beautiful in 0 scale, but to have all that lining so neatly done in 4mm is nothing short of miraculous!

On the other hand, I'm now even more impatiently awaiting the postman, but I suspect I will be waiting until Monday! I wonder how close a match the SE&CR green is to the Hornby/Bachmann interpretation of same?

Edited by Skinnylinny

No, N.E.R J27 needs to be done.

No, what you call a "J21"!

A parcel arrived at work today and I'm now going to sit here drooling until I get home and get her run in. Apologies for the poor photos.

Stunning.

I know I'm biased, but surely Hattons have saved the best 'til last.

Hackneyed phrasing to say the model is a "tour de force", but really, it is.

Well done Hattons.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The buffers are not stuck in, but are a tight fit. They need a bit of wiggling to get them free.

post-6821-0-38643000-1526644365_thumb.jpg

The original style are a friction fit, these were just pushed in.

post-6821-0-99665100-1526644363_thumb.jpg

With pipes and couplings fitted, and unwanted lamp irons removed (holes will be filled later).

post-6821-0-62113000-1526644362_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

How about both the J21 & J27, both have preserved examples so they could make botg and I'd actually buy two as I'm planning to do a layout of the BR(NE) Region once the T.M.C G5 is released.

Don't mind me, I have odd tastes, I was planning to model something of the NE before it took to painting goods/mineral engines black!

So, I'd go for a J25 (P1) too!

Both stalwarts of the region, however, and pretty important classes.

Don't mind me, I have odd tastes, I was planning to model something of the NE before it took to painting goods/mineral engines black!

So, I'd go for a J25 (P1) too!

Both stalwarts of the region, however, and pretty important classes.

Honestly the NE is probabky my favorite part of the L.N.E.R due to its coastal routes and heavy goods industry, it kinda drew me in.

• RMweb Gold

My 178 arrived today, so I ran it in, chipped it (ZN6D), installed Kadee 20s at both ends, and ran it with my SECR birdcage set. Absolutely beautiful.

• Like 2

178 just arrived.  I'm so pleased with it!

At the moment, its just getting some fresh air, I might give it a light run around a circle of track to stretch its legs, but I won't be chipping it until the wonder of how "perfect" it is has dissipated. (To put that in context, my Hornby H&P is still waiting too...)

At least, the increasing cost of even small locos has discouraged me from buying more than one, unlike when Hornby brought out the Sentinels...

• RMweb Gold

Mine arrived, one ran perfect the other had a tight spot, a few minutes running in and both running beautifully.

The SECR livery is superb. Well done Dave and the team and thank you.

One buffer was loose in the box but secured with a drop of liquid glue so no drama there.

Edited by PaulRhB

A beautiful model turned up in the recycling today.

post-21364-0-10300000-1526761400.jpg

post-21364-0-18243900-1526761202.jpg

Complete with Oil can. I read that on the original specification, but thought, no, that must be a misprunt. It isn't !!!

Photo taken through accessory bag.

post-21364-0-75586600-1526761655.jpg

A brilliant model. I've run it in in both directions. Superb in every respect. Thank you Hattons. Christmas present now received  :dance_mini:

I'll add some more pics on my Layout topic here over the weekend: 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/133643-canterbury-road-mk2-southern-railway-brs/

In an earlier post I burbled on about where these locomotives were allocated. I've attached what I've found out from various books I have. Usual disclaimers apply.

P Class Locomotive allocation (2).pdf

• Like 2

Mine arrived on Friday morning.

Checked over and made sure it was working, then chipped straight away, checked again, and put into the stock box to take with NO PLACE to MRX at Manchester - it arrived about half an hour before departure.

After setting up- dead.   Checked by Jeremy at Digitrains first thing Saturday morning to discover I'd put the wrong address in when I set it up :whistle: .  Corrected and taken back to the layout and given 30 mins each way on the wheel cleaner acting as a rolling road.

The loco performed faultlessly all weekend.

post-13358-0-07365500-1526887702_thumb.jpg

Pic shows it arriving from Beamish on the heritage passenger train.  I swapped the couplings with those on another loco that was left at home for the weekend.

https://youtu.be/cXjsqcvh56g

Short video of loco having been borrowed by the Opencast Executive, taking a cut of wagons from the screens to Beamish.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 7

Thanks to all who have posted such clear pictures of the fully lined SE&CR Ps.

To put the fineness of this work, and that of Hornby's H, in context, it seems that Bachmann has, for the foreseeable future at least, ruled out the possibility of re-introducing its C Class in the fully lined livery.

I am given to understand that such a re-run is thought to be too difficult, as it was very labour-intensive and led to a high rejection rate, and that any re-run would result in a very significantly more expensive model, compared to the previous price and the price of the current, plainer, versions.

It must be said that there is more to the application of this livery to a tender locomotive such as the C, but, even so, it does make Hatton's superb application of this livery on a £99 model all the more impressive.  I suspect we have been spoilt here. 

Bachmann's conclusions do not bode well for a fully-lined model of the SE&CR D Class, although many here hope and half-expect such a model as the logical next SE&CR release. Fortunately, SE Finecast still produce the D, the C and several other SE&CR types, and produce lining transfers to suit.

Well done again, Hattons.

Collected mine today from the Postal Sorting Depot, and what a beauty it is!  Clear transfers, superb paintwork, seems a pity to have to get it to a 'working engine' finish!

• Like 2

Collected mine today from the Postal Sorting Depot, and what a beauty it is!  Clear transfers, superb paintwork, seems a pity to have to get it to a 'working engine' finish!

Yep, swopping-in the older style buffers (thanks again to Hattons for that) is one thing, trimming off those rivets on the smoke-box wrapper, is quite another ....

• Like 1

I know it would be a big ask, but it's a same the earlier buffers aren't lined.

When were they replaced? I ask as I intend to order 178 on Friday when I can actually afford the thing...

I know it would be a big ask, but it's a same the earlier buffers aren't lined.

When were they replaced? I ask as I intend to order 178 on Friday when I can actually afford the thing...

The buffers fitted in preservation are Post-Grouping, as are the smokebox wrapper snap-head rivets. Not sure of exactly when, because the changes are outside my period of interest, but someone here will surely know.

Not a lot of work to undertake, and within the capabilities of most modellers, I'm sure.