SECR P Class 0-6-0T in OO Gauge from Hattons

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

There's nothing wrong with a bit of fastidiousness in my opinion. I purchased a large pot of it from a model shop back in the 1970s and there's still a fair bit left.

I've even gone to the extent of ordering the correct pattern 'Brynllefrith' nameplates from Narrow Planet for my 'P'.

Will that fit on the sides of the tanks, CK?

You might have to shorten it to Bryn.

Rob.

• Like 1

My SECR 753 arrived yesterday. It had the customary running-in session on the rolling road ... half an hour in reverse and three hours forwards! Well, I forgot I had left it running, so it got a bit longer than usual. :D

It was only very slightly warm when I took it off the rollers and fitted a Bachmann 36-568 decoder. Running, as with Bluebell before, is superb.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

I've got an exciting announcement for you today. I can reveal that we will be releasing four more versions of our SECR P Class locomotives.

Based on the feedback we've received, we are producing further locomotives in SECR lined green and BR black with new running numbers and, for the first time, we are producing the two members of the class used by the Railway Operating Division in France during World War One, commemorating an important part of the history of the class.

The production samples have been approved and they are now en route to us, you can see photos of the production samples below.

The four new variants will be:

post-28458-0-07381700-1528361841_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-43638000-1528361852_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-17844000-1528361858_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-40971400-1528361863_thumb.jpg

A point to note is that 27 in SECR lined green will feature a new colour for the polished brass dome and safety valve. The new colour represents polished brass, which is halfway between our original release of P Classes 753 and 178; and Hornby's H Class.

All 4 of the new announcements, as well as the original releases, are available to order now for £99 on THIS page of our website.

The newly announced locomotives are all due to be in stock on Friday 17th August 2018.

Thank you to everyone who has shared their feedback and thoughts on the P Class' so far.

We'd love to hear your thoughts on these latest announcements.

Cheers,

Dave
  • Like 18

Oh no! More expense ;-))

Any chance of the SECR Maunsell green at some time? There is a photo in Bradley's SECR book of 178 carrying this livery.

P.S stuck an order in for SECR 27. This loco was used on the Sheppy light railway when new, unfortunately it arrived just after terrier 751 had left..... Being built in 1910, 27 only just got full Wainwright livery as the symplified version came along at the end of the year.

Edited by JSpencer

Oh no! More expense ;-))

My first reaction too! Dave has said that they have ordered plenty of stock and it seems that the original batch is still available, which cannot be due to lack of popularity. As with everything else, it depends what else is around demanding my money but the RoD looks as if it will be a tempting companion for Bachy’s new RoD.

The comment on the brasswork is interesting. Hatton’s is treating the dome and safety valve mounting in the same way. They have their heads screwed on all right. Whilst Hornby’s dome looked magnificent, it did rather jar with the safety valve mounting. Consistency of treatment is, in my humble opinion, important in a model.

• Like 3

Hatton's Dave,

Thanks for the new locos.

You ask for my (lack of) thoughts.  Well the obvious is some SECR matching wagons, preferably from Bachmann.

Good luck (and profits)

I’d agree with that up to a point. However, four wagons have been produced, which could be supplemented with other companies’ wagons to form a train. A brake van would be more welcome but I wouldn’t turn up my nose at more wagons.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I’d agree with that up to a point. However, four wagons have been produced, which could be supplemented with other companies’ wagons to form a train. A brake van would be more welcome but I wouldn’t turn up my nose at more wagons.

A suitable brake van is actually far more important than wagons as even in pre grouping times you would have seen 'rival' companies as well as private owner ones in freight workings - but brakevans always matched the loco owner.

Cambrian models produce kits for 2, 5, 7 plank, a van and a dancehall

Unfortunately the dance hall brake as represented by the Cambrian kit didn't come out until 1923, a bit late to go with most pre-war liveried SE&CR locos, I would have thought. Come on, Hattons, how about a proper pre-grouping brake van?

(There's even a 6-wheel 20 ton one that's been preserved that you can go and measure up, at the Kent and East Sussex Railway!)

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 1

Hatton's Dave,

Thanks for the new locos.

You ask for my (lack of) thoughts.  Well the obvious is some SECR matching wagons, preferably from Bachmann.

Good luck (and profits)

For me: Preferably from Accurascale.  Cheaper and Better than Baccy models.

• RMweb Premium

Canbrian models produce kits for 2, 5, 7 plank, a van and a dancehall

The Dancehall brake van didn't appear till the 1920s so is of little use to anyone with ornately lined out SECR locos (unless you are modelling a heritage railway of course)

For me: Preferably from Accurascale.  Cheaper and Better than Baccy models.

Re-liveried grouping era wagons are better than nothing but a pre-grouping RCH wagon is an open goal. Just think of the variety of liveries the same relatively cheap tooling could be used to produce. A lot of us seem to have got a taste for pre-grouping locomotives but I suspect more and more of us are starting to think, “Very nice but where are the trains?”

• RMweb Gold

........ which was a copy of a Midland Railway van which also spawned a series of four-wheelers which Bachmann have already made : half the work's already done !

Except the six-wheelers were significantly shorter, making adapting r-t-r tooling unlikely.

There's been a very good thread on here about constructing 6-wheel SECR brakes using the Parkside kit for the 4-wheel LMS van. 

John

Re-liveried grouping era wagons are better than nothing

No!

a pre-grouping RCH wagon is an open goal. Just think of the variety of liveries the same relatively cheap tooling could be used to produce.

Yes!

A lot of us seem to have got a taste for pre-grouping locomotives but I suspect more and more of us are starting to think, “Very nice but where are the trains?”

Quite!