Class 42 and 43 Warships working together

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I know several members of BR built class 42 Warships MU'ed together from time to time but I wonder if ever both BR built Class 42's and NBL Class 43's ever did?  As both builds were white diamond multiple unit fitted, in theory they could work together but in practise, did they ever?

Julian Sprott

I know several members of BR built class 42 Warships MU'ed together from time to time but I wonder if ever both BR built Class 42's and NBL Class 43's ever did?  As both builds were white diamond multiple unit fitted, in theory they could work together but in practise, did they ever?

Julian Sprott

Yes they did there's a shot of D861 and D868 working together on Padd - Penzance service on the Rail online photo site taken in 1970. 

Cheers Gareth

In the Rail Online picture 861 has no MU so it would be in tandem with the 2nd loco. Also the date is wrong as 868 was working on the Southern that weekend, or the 2nd loco isn't 868. I suspect this was more of a positioning move rather than anything else... 2C20 was the 17.10 Plymouth - Penzance local...

http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p634483962/h5c14a698#h5c14a698

Having a standard multi working system can be hit and miss even with blue star. I've seen two 40's coupled together and 2000hp went one way and 2000hp went the other followed by lots of four letter words

Edited by 25901
  • Like 1

In the Rail Online picture 861 has no MU so it would be in tandem with the 2nd loco. Also the date is wrong as 868 was working on the Southern that weekend, or the 2nd loco isn't 868. I suspect this was more of a positioning move rather than anything else... 2C20 was the 17.10 Plymouth - Penzance local...http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p634483962/h5c14a698#h5c14a698

D861 is one of NBL Warships that still had its MU in 1970 there is a photo of it at Exeter I've seen with the MU still in place one of only 3 Class 43 at this time.

Cheers Gareth

• RMweb Premium

One must exercise caution here.

There are many photos of two Warships leading a train and the WR authorities diagrammed 2 x 8xx on the better West of England expresses for a time. Some workings were definitely one of each: a 42 and a 43.

But unless it is possible to see mu pipes connected or an empty second cab beware. The "inside" engine may well have been in tandem (with its own crew driving) rather than in multiple (two locos driven as one by a single crew).

For modelling purposes it's ok to couple the two types together just as it is to couple most other types assuming each was individually driven. For the gathering of historical records and a precise representation of a given working - beware.

• RMweb Gold

If the Dec'70 date is correct I think it'll be D867 Phil.

I wonder if the date is correct. I thought D867 was the last MSYP Warship and became blue in September 1970.

Can see why someone might think D861, it was in a similar mess at the end of its MSYP existence

Funnily enough Nidge that's exactly what I dredged out of my grey cells over lunch!

Andy - if the number is wrong what is chance date might be too I wonder?

Cheers

Phil

Yes, am sure theres a discussion elsewhere about the correct ID of this loco - will look up tonight if no-one else gets there first!

Phil

I vaguely recall seeing in the "comments" section of this picture a correction by Martin Street,i.d.'ing the loco as Zenith.Couldn't see the comments section when I last looked...

Why stop at two Warships together?

19076602003_401633304d_c.jpgD860_D823_D819_Exeter_1A39_7-9-68 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Superb image Robert - would have sounded spectacular. I have memories of combinations with three on the front coming through Dawlish. In all these posts my fave, D826 seems conspicuously un photographed. A few images of Jupiter in Strath wood hydraulic books and of course in the Book of the Warships.

Best regards Matt Wood

Edited by D826