union mills

mr b

hi, just a mention, owners of Peco Jubilee's can re-motor their loco as Union Mills can supply a complete tender drive, though you'll need to tell them its for the Peco loco, at around £28

• 4 weeks later...

So pleased to have discovered Union Mills here on RMweb... especially as the 2F, 58153 regularly travelled from Burton, Via Swadlincote onto the Glenfield line as these older locomotives were the only ones which could easily get through the Glenfield Tunnel when accessing the yard at Leicester West Bridge. Means I can actually build a model in a much smaller space and acheive a very long term goal (now 10 years and counting) of building a model of Swadlincote Station. :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I don't know if Colin is around at the moment, I spoke to him about a month ago. I asked about new locos and he said that he hadn't decided anything for this year and therefore as and when he does it is likely to be the back end of 2012 (at the earliest) before we see anything.

Best wishes,

Alastair

Edited by A Murphy

• 5 months later...

So pleased to have discovered Union Mills here on RMweb... especially as the 2F, 58153 regularly travelled from Burton, Via Swadlincote onto the Glenfield line as these older locomotives were the only ones which could easily get through the Glenfield Tunnel when accessing the yard at Leicester West Bridge. Means I can actually build a model in a much smaller space and acheive a very long term goal (now 10 years and counting) of building a model of Swadlincote Station. :D

Can't thank Union Mills enough - same here, i'd have no chance of having a North Eastern Railway layout and would have always been a pipe-dream, but now I have the J25, J27 and D20 available in RTR that just need a repaint!

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just received my second J11 from Colin at Union Mills. His next model will be an Adams '395' class 0-6-0 in Southern and BR black liveries,

Cheers all, no connection, just a delighted customer,

Alastair

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just received my second J11 from Colin at Union Mills. His next model will be an Adams '395' class 0-6-0 in Southern and BR black liveries,

Cheers all, no connection, just a delighted customer,

Alastair

I just ordered two more locos from Colin and I asked about the Adams '0395' 0-6-0. He's aiming for a November, 2012, release date and his model will have the sloping smokebox front and square cab windows. A picture of a prototype with those features can be seen here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LSWR_395_class, (along with a picture of one with the flat smokebox and round windows for comparison.)

Matt

• 6 months later...

Just an update about the Adams for anyone interested.  This might be old news but I hadn't seen anything posted here (or elsewhere for that matter).

The Adams 0395 is currently available for purchase from Colin Heard at Union Mills for £69 plus p+p.  I emailed Colin (colin.h@manx.net) and ordered one today.  I will post a picture of it here once I receive it.

(usual disclaimer - no connection to UM or Colin, just a very happy customer).

Matt

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

What an inspired choice! With the mainstream manufacturers bringing out larger locos for the Southern and coaching stock, modelling the SR/BR(S) in N has become a lot more tempting. All that was lacking was a suitable small goods loco.

Perhaps we should start a new thread to highlight this release?

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

That's a lovely loco, and thanks for the pictures.

I believe that under the LSWR goods locomotives were painted in holly green, and after grouping the Southern Railway painted goods locomotives black. But I don't imagine this would have happened on the stroke of midnight ... how many years after grouping on 1 January 1923 do people think some examples of these locomotives would have survived before overhaul / repainting? Two or three years?

I'd quite like one - but would love to have an excuse to re-livery in holly green (because my layout covers from grouping to 1937 btw)

Edited by Southernboy

• 2 weeks later...

I agree.

Not my region but a lovely little loco.

I have shortened this wire on a number of my UM locos and it makes a massive difference.

Good to see that this is now how they are supplied.

Roy

• 1 month later...

It is usually this time of year we start to hear rumblings about what Colin Heard is planning for his next model.

Does anyone know if anything is decided yet (or indeed if there is to be a release this year?).

Roy

• 2 weeks later...

Spoke to him yesterday when I ordered a Southern 700 and he said that the next one would be 'something LMS'....  I was pushing for more Southern!

Darn it!

I was hoping for "something LNER" (A D34 Glen for example).

Never mind, maybe next year,,,

Cheers

Roy

I've just taken delivery of a tender drive unit from Union Mills for a 009 tender loco scratchbuilding project.  Being a slightly different project, Colin was quite helpful in advising me on what he could offer. I posted him a cheque late last week and I received my chassis today - great service.

Does anyone have any photos of their chassis after DCC conversion? I'd be interested to see any slightly different approaches to the one in the DCC fitting guide.

• 3 months later...

Spoke to him yesterday when I ordered a Southern 700 and he said that the next one would be 'something LMS'....  I was pushing for more Southern!

Just curious. Has anyone spoken to Colin Heard lately - is there any more news of a new loco this year, or has he decided not to? 

I know I could phone him but saves hassling him if somebody else has already asked and can say.

Thanks in anticipation.

Roy

Just to show the effect of replacing the UM tender on the D20 and J25 with the smaller UM Midland tender then adding coal rails (in my case not very well as I'm ham-fisted).

post-13358-0-88992400-1382367291_thumb.jpg

Posed on Furtwangen Ost.

post-13358-0-49201100-1382367352_thumb.jpg

The lower picture was taken on my Hawthorn Dene layout (under construction).  The J25 is off for chipping.

All the very best

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

UM's next model (to be released this November pursuant to UM's August price list) will be a LNWR "Prince of Wales" 4-6-0 in a choice of 4 liveries.  I don't know what those liveries are going to be.

From what I've been able to find on the net, the last four of these locos were withdraw in January of 1949 and they never received their allocated BR numbers before withdrawl.

So... here is a question for someone more knowledgeable than me about these locos (which means anyone, frankly!): Did any of those last 4 receive BRITISH RAILWAYS lettering, or did they retain their LMS livery to the very end?  (My undstanding is the "cycling lion" emblem didn't appear until 1950, so if true that livery would be wrong for these locos.)

Colin has issued his Q2 0-8-0 in BR early emblem livery even though they were all withdrawn by 1937 and a D11 in BR green (I've got one, even though those engines never wore BR green) so as much as like him and his models, his liveries are not always correct.

Anyone?  Thanks!

Matt

I've started putting the extra lining on mine. Modelmaster BR mixed traffic matches fairly well. Much left to do beyond that - did all these locos have boiler bands ? Will then etch some name and number plates, paint the whistle in brass, fit pipes and fix the wire etc

post-6740-0-61045900-1382614129_thumb.jpg

• Like 2