union mills

mr b

• 1 month later...

More top work from Colin! One of my Christmas presents, a Union Mills D16/3, arrived after being bashed in the Christmas post with damage to the tender. A quick call to Colin yesterday and a replacement tender body arrived today!

Wish all customer service was this efficient!

• 7 months later...

Has it really been quiet on the UM thread for this long?

I heard a couple of months ago that UM's next loco was to be a GWR "Dean Goods".

I note on the N Gauge Forum it has been reported that Colin Heard has confirmed the locos should be available from the end of September in two liveries, early BR Black and GW Green. This will be his first GW loco and I suspect will be extremely popular. Price apparently £72 plus £3 P&P and pre-orders now being taken.

Not one for me as an LNER modeller and no personal connection other than being a customer of many years but I thought it may be of interest..

Roy

I keep telling myself that I should have at least one Union Mills loco because of the fantastic running qualities. But every time I think of doing it the low detail puts me off. The astonishingly high detail levels of the latest N gauge loco from Farish and Dapol are now dating the UM range in my view. Maybe the Dean Goods will have a few more details because I could really do with one for my layout.

You should deifinitely get a Union Mills loco - if for no other reason than they are such classics.

The box they come in, and weight of the loco itself, the products just ooze charm, tradition, substance, integrity and craftsmanship. And you can just pick up the phone to the very nice gent that made it if you have any queries.

The lack of detail is more than made-up for by the above - and is nothing that can't be remedied by the purchase of a few detailing packs and a couple of hours at the modelling desk :)

Edited by Southernboy
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Looking at the enlarged photo, it is a very nicely executed model, the tender in particular looks in correct proportion which is an excellent achievement for such a tiny model as it undoubtedly is. Certainly a better look than the Peco Collett with the large (and rarely paired) tender it uses,

Roy

Alex,

That looks grand. What's the cab backhead look like ? I know nothing much about Union Mills - there doesn't seem to be any website presence for them. I'm seriously tempted by that - looks cracking.

Lasted till after 1956 so who's to say one wouldn't have meandered down the Wye Valley.

Now if Union Mills would do a 2251 with a 3000 gallon tender.

Excellent looking layout too.

Matt W

Now if Union Mills would do a 2251 with a 3000 gallon tender.

UM normally do tender-driven models as was the Peco 2251. If you had a Peco 2251, you could always try and buy a UM 3000 gallon tender to go behind it.

Although there's not really been any fidelity improvements in Union Mills output for many years, both Farish and Dapol could learn something from the neater and less obtrusive coupling rod fittings on the UM model rather than the huge hex bolts and screws they both use.

G.

• RMweb Premium

Very impressed, ordered Tuesday 11:15 by phone, arrived in Wednesday post and on test track running in that evening. Cracking service, lovely little model (Dean Goods) that just needs a little detailing (as I got 2 I'll put etched plates on both).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I can't be the first person to mention the Dukedog surely? I picked up a second hand one at Bristol MRE and must say it is the best UM loco I have come across. Slow running is now excellent, loco has bogie pickup as well as drivers and the outside frame and rods look great. A bit wide for some layouts but my clearances were based around Minitrix 9Fs. Very pleased with this loco.

Very tempted myself Elvinley - your reports of such good running are very encouraging. I can sort of justify one on my Tintern layout.

Any pics of the Dukedog on your layout (which I have much admired)?

Kind regards

Matt W

Ian

Thanks.

THat looks the dogs -(should that be dukes) proverbials..

If it was light enough for the Cambrian I'm sure it would've been ok on the Wye Valley.

Kind regards

Matt

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...