Revolution opens expressions of interest for an APT-E

Revolution Mike

• RMweb Gold

Revolution Trains announced the opening of expressions of interest in an N gauge model of the iconic APT-E at the International N Gauge Show (TINGS). Since Rapido Trains Inc produced their award-winning OO gauge model for the NRM we have been regularly asked if we would consider asking the NRM and Rapido if we could produce a model in N gauge.

APT-E-Production-Model.jpg

APT-E OO/4mm model by Locomotion/Rapido Trains Inc

We are delighted that we have an outline agreement with the NRM and Rapido to produce the APT-E in N gauge. This in turn would result in a substantial donation to the NRM.

Exact specifications and price will not be available until we start the serious design work, though we expect both the specification and price to be similar to the OO gauge model (price £225).

At this stage we are not asking for any money, just expressions of interest to establish whether there is sufficient demand to make the model.  If you are interested please complete our expression of interest form on our website at revolutiontrains.com/apt-e.

Thanks

Mike and Ben

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Done, for two - this allows a bit of rule one fun with a 6 car.  I wonder on a repaint into IC livery, with 150 vice 125 using large logo numbers on a leading vehicle of the second set implying even more in the fleet and the speed expected. I`ll get my coat at this point!

Thanks to all involved and I hope we can smash the target.

Robert  

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Once we can get a sense that there is a demand for this model then we can look at the engineering challenges that tilt presents.

The difficulty is not getting the model to tilt. It's getting the model to tilt and transfer power/signal through the couplers and navigate 12" radius curves. It may well be both possible and, more importantly, practical but we do not know yet.

Cheers

Ben A.

I've just added my name for 2, Yes tilting would be nice but will still buy them if not possible, Hopefully this will go ahead so would sound and additional coaches be viable?

I'm not into N gauge or even tried it yet, but can imagine how difficult it would be to make a N gauge version of Rapido's award winning APT-E (there in for some competition now), could I make a suggestion of why not put

a second decoder in PC-2 to run motor and lighting and use a 4 pole connection to supply power throughout and speaker if sound was an option,

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Put my name down for one, the OO version is excellent although I don't model in that size.

Tilting would be nice but I'd have one that doesn't tilt without any complaints. As long as it's got the right look and feel to it.

Hope this reaches it's target.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A quick update - after an initial surge of interest following the announcement we have got to roughly 30% of the level of interest that we would need to make this reality.  Of course until recently it hasn't hit any of the magazines or the N Gauge Journal - all of that plus Warley should help.

Ben and I were always of the view that the APT-E might be a slow burner and interest has probably been expressed more quickly than we initially thought so we are far from pessimistic about the chances of this happening!

We need to get some flyers done and hopefully the delivery of other forthcoming projects will help publicise this project.

Cheers, Mike

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

Mentioned in passing in another topic here this is the latest from Ben A, posted - now here with his permission - on the N Gauge Forum in early April:

Thanks to all those who came for a chat at York.  Our next show is the DEMU Showcase in June, then it's TINGS and Warley.

APT-E expressions of interest are now well over half way, and I just checked and we have had well over a couple of dozen over the weekend, which is great.

We always anticipated that this model would be a bit of a slow burner, but to be over half way at only six months in is surprising and encouraging.  If expressions continue at roughly this pace, we *could* be in a position to give this model the green light early in 2019.

As has been said above, I think both Mike and I are optimistic that the evident quality of the Pendolino will reassure anyone who had concerns, and we may see further uptake in both the APT-E and the Class 321/320 units.

I honestly feel these are exciting times to be an N gauge modeller.

Cheers

Ben A.

Understandably Ben and Mike have been concentrating on getting those Pendolino orders out, hence the delay here with this excellent update.

Regards, Gerry.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi there,

No real progress - expressions of interest are continuing to come in at a steady rate and we are getting there but we always thought that it would probably take a couple of years.

However, the numbers are encouraging enough that we have asked Rapido to do some scoping work around what the possibilities are around couplers/tilt etc.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

Hi there,

No real progress - expressions of interest are continuing to come in at a steady rate and we are getting there but we always thought that it would probably take a couple of years.

However, the numbers are encouraging enough that we have asked Rapido to do some scoping work around what the possibilities are around couplers/tilt etc.

Cheers

Ben A.

Thanks for your quick reply. 

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

Ben A posted on another forum today:

In answer to the question about the APT-E - this has now reached minimum numbers and once we have finalised the exact specification with Rapido we'll be opening the order book properly.

Cheers

Ben A.

Yay!

Regards, Gerry.

Now THAT'S what I like to hear! Count me in 100%. :good:

Of course when we took E-Train to the USA we did some test runs on the Pinetree & Western Railroad, so that'd fit very well on my N gauge American layout of the same road...........  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

We have been chatting to Rapido this weekend at Warley about the final specification for the APT-E as we now have enough expressions of interest to justify this.

BUT we can only actually get the project through tooling and to production if those expressions of interest turn into orders. We'll probably be opening the order book fairly soon and will advise when we do.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 5

• 1 year later...