Revolution opens expressions of interest for an APT-E

Revolution Mike

23 hours ago, Roy L S said:

I think it was always recognised as being a "slow burn" and as far as I know it still awaits the necessary volume of orders before it can proceed further.

Except that goes against what Revolution posted just above, where (in Nov 2018) the order book was soon to open.  So perhaps an update by @Ben A would help.

• 1 year later...

Looking at the full update on the site, it would appear they've stepped aside to perhaps allow Rapido to do it on their own terms / branding rather than produce one for RevolutioN.

Of course that doesn't mean that Rapido have plans, but now they have entered the UK market formally maybe this stepping aside by RevolutioN is the natural thing to do in order to allow Rapido to help N gauge flourish by introducing more models.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

What a pity, I was SO looking forward to running an E-Train on the Gloucester Club's N gauge layout, and who cares if it's set in late 1939. :D

But maybe Mr. Schron's taken note, eh? ;)

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

As Ben said, it was cancelled because of the lack EOI’s rather than Rapido venturing into the UK market.  Ben also said that only 75% needed to make it viable had registered interest, so Ben rightly cancelled the project.

I know that the NRM had a big input regarding the OO scale version and maybe there was a similar thing with the N gauge version.  My thinking is when the second run of the OO version appears, maybe the N gauge one might be a realistic proposal.

10 hours ago, Mr_Tilt said:

What a pity, I was SO looking forward to running an E-Train on the Gloucester Club's N gauge layout, and who cares if it's set in late 1939. :D

But maybe Mr. Schron's taken note, eh? ;)

In 1939 is would have been a very advanced passenger train.

18 hours ago, rab said:

They should have gone for crowd funding :)

Crowd funding doesn't solve the lack of interest problem though.

The expressions of interest method is an easy way of measuring the market to see if sufficient demand is there to proceed further - whether through traditional methods of making a model or through crowd funding.

None of which says that there isn't sufficient market (there may or may not be), but rather highlights the difficulty in getting word out.

It is possible that a more established player, with a broader range of existing product to allow greater financial risk, combined with a larger retail network to have order product could decide that it is worth the risk.  Maybe.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, mdvle said:

Crowd funding doesn't solve the lack of interest problem though.

The expressions of interest method is an easy way of measuring the market to see if sufficient demand is there to proceed further - whether through traditional methods of making a model or through crowd funding.

None of which says that there isn't sufficient market (there may or may not be), but rather highlights the difficulty in getting word out.

It is possible that a more established player, with a broader range of existing product to allow greater financial risk, combined with a larger retail network to have order product could decide that it is worth the risk.  Maybe.

Sorry, on line humour not working again.

i was referring to the efforts of another 'manufacturer '.

• RMweb Gold

A real shame. I registered my interest only a week before the announcement so I can't help wondering if that precipitated a review. I didn't care if it tilted or not but I have always felt that the frontal design of the HST was boring. Maybe one day I will take a heated scalpel to the front window of my HST and push the bottom inward. Fill the gaps with some cardboard, repaint her and we're nearly there :)

Edited by AndrueC