Buffer Stops

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Although the original post from 'Despatcher'concerned buffer stops at depots, you may find the attached photo's of interest, particularly from a modelling perspective. The photo's are of a buffer stop (or two!) on a disused siding at Sleaford West. The end buffer stop was originally provided with a lamp on a separate post to the "cess" side of the buffer stop. What is interesting in the last two photo's is the presence of a second buffer stop approximately a third of the way along the siding, and the track beyond being disconnected by the removal of a short section of rail. Presumably this was the most expedient way of shortening the siding rather than lifting the rest of the unused siding and relocating the original buffer stop.

If you are wondering, the photo's were taken as part of an official survey under controlled safety conditions (e.g. COSS and Lookout) as part of Sleaford resignalling project - didn't just wander of down the track!

I have a few other photo's of signals etc. in the area, if anyone is interested in seeing them let me know and I'll post them in the P.Way, Signalling and Infrastructure area.

Regards,

iands.attachicon.gifIMG_2343.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_2342.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_2366.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_2367.JPG

PHOTOS  

Yes, please.

Prototype photos always welcome.

Thanks,

Steve.

• RMweb Premium

PHOTOS  

Yes, please.

Prototype photos always welcome.

Thanks,

Steve.

Hi Steve (and everyone else of course),

As requested, a few photos of mechcanical (or semaphore if you prefer) signals at Sleaford West, and a photo of Sleaford West SB diagram. Not sure if the signals have been replaced with colourlights by now. If they have then these photos will be good historical record.

I also have a couple from Lincoln and a few from Gilberdyke I'll share in due course, once I've sorted the files out.

Regards, Ian.

post-32776-0-46206100-1509217328_thumb.jpgpost-32776-0-48706600-1509217371_thumb.jpgpost-32776-0-52366400-1509218261_thumb.jpgpost-32776-0-88780400-1509218284_thumb.jpgpost-32776-0-77544800-1509218301_thumb.jpgpost-32776-0-00937000-1509218325_thumb.jpgpost-32776-0-05428200-1509218346_thumb.jpgpost-32776-0-16590300-1509218366_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Ian,

Very useful photos with lots of detail clearly on view.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

No problem. As promised, a couple from Lincoln. Apologies for the qality of the photos. They were taken using an early digital camera that used 3.25" floppy discs as the recording medium.

The first is looking towards High St. SB and the station, the second looking towards East Holmes SB.

Regards, Ian.

P.S. I'm concious that my latest photos are moving away from the original post about buffers. I'll post the Gilberdyke photos in a new post.

post-32776-0-38496300-1509440924.jpgpost-32776-0-05683300-1509441029.jpg

• Like 1

.  Stops in sidings or yards would not have lamps.

My understanding is that if a siding with a bufferstop is directly accessible from a running line , i.e. not via a headshunt, then the bufferstop will have a red lamp, if that line is next to a running line, and the bufferstop red light could be confused with a signal, then the bufferstop lamp is white.

• 3 years later...

I’d like to ask for some buffer stop advice if I may (appreciate I’m reopening an old thread). I’m building a Peco sleeper built one for my club’s new exhibition layout set in the 1970s. I’ve built this one before for my cakebox entry two years ago, and this is what I finished it as but I get the feeling the buffer beam colours wouldn’t be realistic. Please can someone advise on the appropriate colours? 

E81FDC6F-335B-489D-B663-F33C94DB0989.jpeg

Edited by Liam

• RMweb Gold
On 19/10/2017 at 12:37, The Stationmaster said:

Don't forget that in the circumstances shown in the top photo in 'iands' post the buffer stop lamp should show a white light and not a red light (unless the LNER went its own way on such things).

Thanks for that timely reminder Mr  SM. As a previous perpetrator of said crime it’s not one I shall be repeating.... :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

Thanks for that timely reminder Mr  SM. As a previous perpetrator of said crime it’s not one I shall be repeating.... :lol:

If you do what you did for one of the Hornby Magazine photos then all you need to do is stable the Baby Deltic in the headshunt on the Gloucester side and rev up the engine sounds to distract people’s attention from the incorrect lamp... :D

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Liam said:

I’d like to ask for some buffer stop advice if I may (appreciate I’m reopening an old thread). I’m building a Peco sleeper built one for my club’s new exhibition layout set in the 1970s. I’ve built this one before for my cakebox entry two years ago, and this is what I finished it as but I get the feeling the buffer beam colours wouldn’t be realistic. Please can someone advise on the appropriate colours? 

E81FDC6F-335B-489D-B663-F33C94DB0989.jpeg

A quick google reveals many different combinations of red and white.... a prototype for everything! A bit of weathering on that will be fine... or alternatively weather it to obliteration! Many were so neglected....

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

A quick google reveals many different combinations of red and white.... a prototype for everything! A bit of weathering on that will be fine... or alternatively weather it to obliteration! Many were so neglected....

Thanks Phil, I’ll probably paint it with Phoenix Precision sleeper grime first then paint over the end sections with red to try and get the look of the paint peeling away. Hopefully another member with better weathering skills than me can then give it the right treatment! 

Edited by Liam

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Liam said:

Thanks Phil, I’ll probably paint it with Phoenix Precision sleeper grime first then paint over the end sections with red to try and get the look of the paint peeling away. Hopefully another member with better weathering skills than me can then give it the right treatment! 

Sleeper grime.... then take a brass brush to it when dry working in the direction of wood grain so underlying colour shows through like wood grain

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Informative/Useful 1