nick_bastable

• RMweb Premium

A quick update all the track is now ballasted and painted, after some cleaning up aided by Jims nifty cleaning gauge trains are once again running.  With the help of one of Mrs B beading jigs the hop garden vines have been formed ( super glue over thick cotton thread covered with foam scenic )  although forming the supporting frames and rigging was somewhat bothersome. Gluing these took quite sometime although I quite like the effect if a tad over-scale.  A cheeky bid on that site yielded a Lyddle end Oast house for under a £10 which gives the more typical round drying kiln.  Still lots to do but slowly coming together I even booked the hotel room.

Rough positioning looking about right to my mind and original plan  but lots more to do :o

Nick

Edited by nick_bastable
duplicate image
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

KESR terrier or Thomas :P

hows your entry going ?

Nick

:rolleyes: Thomas I guess :no:

Not good...Meeth is a dead parrot...About to be consigned to bubble wrap or the skip...when the candle extinguishes after flickering for so long it’s time to move on...maybe more on this tomorrow...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

After much deliberation the plan to have a flying Proscenium arch with lighting has been dropped on the bases that given Line No16 will need to be displayed on a table the arch would impede viewing by anyone standing.   Wood work has been painted including the fiddle area a suitable green as chosen by Mrs B.    Once done and dry the back scene has finally been added and trimmed to size and once again I find myself track testing and cleaning rail.

A rough layout has me doubting the barn as it dominates the scene to much and  possibly spoils and other wise fairly open and given the size spacious  look

20191216_153657_1.jpg.a13b26d95d724f9133bc29cbef90c68f.jpg

I invite thoughts as to which looks better 

Nick

Edited by nick_bastable
photo
  • Like 4

Could the barn and the oasthouse be swapped over?  That way the taller barn would hide more of the exit holes in the backscene and the oasthouse would be less dominant at the front than the barn.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 16/12/2019 at 17:25, Caley Jim said:

Could the barn and the oasthouse be swapped over?  That way the taller barn would hide more of the exit holes in the backscene and the oasthouse would be less dominant at the front than the barn.

Jim

Jim tried this and to be honest  I do not think so problem is the Oast as there is very little detail on the other side this was the best arrangement I came up with

still pondering and a  broken tie bar did not help today in other news  the track cleaner works very well

Nick

Edited by nick_bastable
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well who would have thought four months later we all find ourselves in the unknown ? During this time I went through severe doubts and came extremely close many times to given up  2mm modelling.    A long chat with Martin Allen at a  area group meet helped  and after obtaining permission from our host club  we began laying a   2mm Easitrac  loop within the hosts 4mm / N test track.   Threading some 7m of track helped  ease me into gentle modelling, alas the present situation means less than half  the   loop is down and may remain as such for sometime.   

Finally biting the bullet wiring was finished on Line No16 

20200331_165045.jpg.06c02c38d3874c6d30929ea170babc46.jpg

Basic scenic work was made and testing once again commenced

20200331_164703.jpg.3a7b349afc9a28515c097bd3ccf5c159.jpg

20200331_164641.jpg.96e1e11b85039f39019de7dfed599150.jpg

The unfinished grey triangle between the lines will when  built be  a water tower  ( as per Staple was on the EKR ).   The Oast house was rejected in the end in favour of a barn ,  still lots to do toning down and blending in.

In better news a exchange of mail via VAG has resulted in a Farish C class been converted to 2mm by Keith Armes ,  all axles included the tenders where retyred with 2mm rims  the coupling rods and pins replaced.  A  superb job which I fear puts the layout it will run on to shame However testing has shown it runs through the obligatory point and handles the joint gauge track without issues,

20200418_161132.jpg.2930a69953f32ed664ebfc5c9c372164.jpg

Finally a overview of the present state of play

20200418_161000.jpg.4000bc7743f3bd756224017423ee3b42.jpg

Nick B

Edited by nick_bastable
spelling
  • Like 15

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Been playing with the C Class  apologies for the shoddy camera works Mrs B can do loads of things well but evidently not camera work    sound on for this clip

MX658N18 chip supplied by YouChoos it took  longer to remove the coal load cover and add a bit of Kapton tape to convert.

Nick B

• Like 7

Naughty driver!  Didn't whistle when he started back in reverse, nor when he started to go forward again at the end! :nono:

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

Naughty driver!  Didn't whistle when he started back in reverse, nor when he started to go forward again at the end! :nono:

Jim

a careful look would show no Driver or fireman in the cab...................yet :wub:

Nick B

1 minute ago, nick_bastable said:

a careful look would show no Driver or fireman in the cab...................yet :wub:

Ah!  So it's a drone loco!  :jester:

Jim (windae picked)

• Funny 1

There's a theme here with Green locos. I much prefer this green loco than those green box shaped things. It would be good to see some more videos when the driver is back from his refresher course. I'm starting to rather like this idea of sound in locos nowadays. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 27/04/2020 at 23:36, richbrummitt said:

There's a theme here with Green locos. I much prefer this green loco than those green box shaped things. It would be good to see some more videos when the driver is back from his refresher course. I'm starting to rather like this idea of sound in locos nowadays. 

loco now boasts a driver and fireman 

Nick B

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Sithlord75 said:

Any shots of the N6.5 stuff Nick?  There's a DJLC entry being put together Down Here with dual gauge as well and I reckon David would be interested to compare notes.

Cheers

Kevin

Kevin

layouts packed away at the moment as with the postponement of this years event I lost momentum how ever have a few images which may help, indeed I considered ripping up parts but decided if I did the project was doomed and it was running if a little fast reliably.

DSC_4829.jpg.e234b571318806e573836d44a3f4d35a.jpg

20200331_164730.jpg.4770c89fb1a7cbd1e9526df4e7e95946.jpg

and a super fast NG train

have managed to slow  this a bit since then  but those shorty chassis are  super speeders

For the junction  between NG and standard track I opted to treat it like a crossover ( somewhere I found a real example of this however at the moment can not recall/find the url) 

Ask away if any more queries other than that been spending lock-down demolishing my failed home layout and building a MkIV  version

Nick B

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, nick_bastable said:

Kevin

layouts packed away at the moment as with the postponement of this years event I lost momentum how ever have a few images which may help, indeed I considered ripping up parts but decided if I did the project was doomed and it was running if a little fast reliably.

DSC_4829.jpg.e234b571318806e573836d44a3f4d35a.jpg

20200331_164730.jpg.4770c89fb1a7cbd1e9526df4e7e95946.jpg

and a super fast NG train

have managed to slow  this a bit since then  but those shorty chassis are  super speeders

For the junction  between NG and standard track I opted to treat it like a crossover ( somewhere I found a real example of this however at the moment can not recall/find the url) 

Ask away if any more queries other than that been spending lock-down demolishing my failed home layout and building a MkIV  version

Nick B

You could try a resistor to calm it down a bit.  I've tried a few and found that 600 or 900 ohm work well, depending on what sort of top speed you want. 

• Thanks 1