nick_bastable

Thanks Nick.  We've a Shorty out here which David is using for a US loco - not sure how he calmed it down but it certainly doesn't run that fast.  I'll get him to have a look at this thread and see if he can post some of his video to it.

We'll be bringing most, if not all, our N6.5 stuff with us assuming we get over there next year.  In the meantime, 

this is one of  mine.  The write up on how I did it is linked from the 2mm website.

Cheers

Kevin

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Sithlord75 said:

Thanks Nick.  We've a Shorty out here which David is using for a US loco - not sure how he calmed it down but it certainly doesn't run that fast.  I'll get him to have a look at this thread and see if he can post some of his video to it.

We'll be bringing most, if not all, our N6.5 stuff with us assuming we get over there next year.  In the meantime, 

this is one of  mine.  The write up on how I did it is linked from the 2mm website.

Cheers

Kevin

I assume that's the Peco loco on a Marklin  chassis my own attempt at re-motoring one of those was a failure and put like to many things to one side as it was March and the deadline was looming. 

The postponement of the DJLC was understandable but given a severe change in personal circumstances due to the present worldwide situation  and assuming  it goes ahead as planned next year I'm not sure I will be in a position to attend.

I had undertook some experiments as Mark suggests with resistors although my test chassis worked on the bench it played dead on track another classic Nick failure.  Really need to strip the chassis down and check the pickups etc  although with Ripple stored  I worry setting it up would divert me from wiring the rebuilt home layout and getting something running. probably the answer to this is take my small  2mm pcb test / programming  track and duel gauge it 

Ripple may appear in public next year if it can.   I had intended  revisiting the project about December when things are hopefully clearer 

Nick B

No, it's my own design for the loco body which I got printed via Shapeways (however I now have a resin printer so will print a second when I can source a chassis) to go on a Marklin 2-6-0 chassis minus the front truck.  Carriages are also my own design to go on the Microtrains Nn3 boxcar chassis.

There is some of the Peco bodies around Down Here - I find them too clunky in the casting department.

Cheers

Kevin

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well after 19 months under wraps on top of the wardrobe a email from John Aldrick started a discussion. I had previously declared I would not attend the Derby bash although I had booked a room. Mrs B sat me down and gave me a sever B@llocking and told me I would attend. Board was retrieved from the wardrobe and the Black bag it had lived in removed, not to bad SG line running fine points working although the shorty appears to have given up the ghost ( matter to investigate ). The Stephens Tin hut wind-pump and water-tower recovered from Line No 20 added as have been manual point levers. Needs a good toning down and the shorty sorted although progress of a sort.20220209_165644.jpg.beba8a2f8a02daebc99daa5b7c299714.jpg

28393968_20220209_1656311.jpg.647f94328a94a57d9f4082be1e57196a.jpg

The magic triangle filled although still doubt it displays 2mm to the standard so many achieve

Nick B

Edited by nick_bastable
picture added
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

Glad to hear you and the layout will be going to Derby.  I'll be very keen to see it - especially as I don't think the dual gauge DJLC entry from down here is going to make it now with the various changes to time and circumstance.

• RMweb Premium

23 hours ago, Sithlord75 said:

Glad to hear you and the layout will be going to Derby.  I'll be very keen to see it - especially as I don't think the dual gauge DJLC entry from down here is going to make it now with the various changes to time and circumstance.

Kevin

bring a loco along if you've room in the cases,   even if it only poses on the layout  ( seems the wrong term for this )

Nick B

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

So Close Yet So Far

With the date looming I started making a few tweaks last month which was the beginnings of my woes, Matt paint refused to try anything but gloss,  the narrow gauge point tie bar parted company with the rail.  I calculated to fix this in time would result in the board been less than scenic so will operated as  a simple A to B.   Accepting this compromise, I powered up the rails, SG working fine the NG a total short which required me to rewire the bit that will be working   yet more time lost.

Then the saga of couplings which had been fine but now stuck and developed a strange growth (inadequate washing perhaps) resulting in forming DG a job I hate and replacing.     Today was almost the last straw when my MERG DCC unit refused to work do I waste the short remaining time working out what’s wrong in the end I hooked up a SPROG to a W11 laptop which worked but now my C Class refuses to play but will run on DC something to look at tomorrow.

Perhaps the 2mm Gods are trying to tell me something but I will hopefully make Derby  even if not in the long ago envisaged manor.  😫

• Friendly/supportive 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Sithlord75 said:

On the subject of guest locos, here is one which turned up over the DJ weekend.

IMG_3140.thumb.JPG.beaaa553672857ca0f330ee1e20c81cc.JPG

IMG_3144.thumb.JPG.748ce446736f90aa43e2061fcf70803c.JPG

Always welcome Kevin even if your loco is a bit of a beast compared to Camber, thanks again for your excellent company over the weekend

• 1 month later...