Routing lights on 3 way points

I have installed 3 way points ( effectively operated by 2 surface mounted motors) my intention is to install routing lights visible from a control panel, as the routing to the 3 ways is dependant on the combination of the 2 point settings, I am not sure of the wiring circuit to achieve indication , i.e. One green, two reds.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Robert

• RMweb Gold

I have installed 3 way points ( effectively operated by 2 surface mounted motors) my intention is to install routing lights visible from a control panel, as the routing to the 3 ways is dependant on the combination of the 2 point settings, I am not sure of the wiring circuit to achieve indication , i.e. One green, two reds.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Robert

I have a number of Peco asymmetric 3 way points, each operated by two Peco solenoids but with only 3 buttons to push and three bi-colour LED lights showing for each; this gives simplicity of operation - there are always two red and one green light showing, but the circuit is complex, involving relays to switch frog polarity and diodes to change the LED's.

I had previously used two switches - one per motor, but it remains possible with that solution, to select the "illegal" route.

You can see what these look like on my Control Panel on my thread at:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115550-churminster-stowe-magna-southern-railway/?p=2454727

Although I helped develop the solution, the circuit diagram that I have is copyright and is not mine as I didn't draw it, but I could probably provide a copy if you PM me.

Hope this helps

Tony

• RMweb Gold

The diagram posted by Miss Prism above deals with frog polarity, whilst that mentioned by smokebox covers signals and / or control panel indication; in addition the solenoids or slow action motors will also need wiring and the diagram provided with the Peco 3-way asymetric point covers this.

All three of those options use 2 x 2-way switches and selection of the "illegal route" remains possible which is why I would suggest that getting down to three selection buttons plus a combination of relays and diodes is easiest from an operational perspective.

Tony