NEM Pockets for kits

sjrixon

Probably not the best answer that you will get, but I bought a largish packet of Dapol NEM tension locks that included the NEM pocket.  Whenever I do a kit (which isn't hugely frequently, I admit) I stick one on each end and replace the tension lock with a Kadee.  Sometimes I have to muck about sticking bits of scrap onto the wagon or coach first to make a reasonable place to put the Dapol coupling.  So far it has worked for me.

• RMweb Gold

Parkside used to sell the pockets for their kits. Now they have been absorbed by Peco, anyone know where I can get some? I've kits needing couplings.

Cheers

Peco stockists, presumably, though they won't necessarily get everything back out in one go. Some retailers may still have some in Parkside packs in stock.

If you can't find any, try ringing Peco on 01297 21542, ask for their Technical Advice Bureau.

In the meantime, depending on what couplers you use, are NEM mounts a must-have?

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Noit much help to the original poster but my not very near local model shop still has stocks of the original mounts have you tried your local model shop! I can't see them being such hot stock to be sold out everywhere!

Mounts ? Pockets ?

Aren't the things made up of three items...1 .the mounts that fix to the wagon floor, 2 the pockets that fit in the dove tail on the mount and 3 the coupling which clips in the pocket?

Edited by Graham456

• RMweb Gold

Model shop? Chance would be a fine thing!

I was searching for the wrong thing.. This is what I've been using.

https://railsofsheffield.com/mounting-blocks-for-Bachmann-36-027-mk2-couplings-nem-shaft-cranked-with-pocket-x10-pa34-parkside-dundas-JJJA18791.aspx

Then these just plug in.. All lines up nicely and even a little play if they are not perfect.

https://railsofsheffield.com/mk2-couplings-nem-shaft-cranked-with-pocket-x10--JJJA5277.aspx

But that's about £10 per 5 wagons. But no stock!

Edited by sjrixon

Model shop? Chance would be a fine thing!

I was searching for the wrong thing.. This is what I've been using

/quote]

Yes that's the things I have been useing too

Why where do you live ? My nearest model shop eather a fifty mile round trip ! Burnham on sea or Exeter a seventy mile round trip but if I need something that's what I have to do,because I am of the type that likes to get my mits on things befour I buy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Noit much help to the original poster but my not very near local model shop still has stocks of the original mounts have you tried your local model shop! I can't see them being such hot stock to be sold out everywhere!

Mounts ? Pockets ?

Aren't the things made up of three items...1 .the mounts that fix to the wagon floor, 2 the pockets that fit in the dove tail on the mount and 3 the coupling which clips in the pocket?

What Parkside do is just the mount, the pocket is included with Bachmann couplers.

John

The NEM 362 standard only covers the size and location of the pocket, and the swallowtail which fits in the pocket.  How the pocket is attached to the item of stock, and what kind of actual coupling is on the other end of swallowtail clip, are both outside the scope of the standard.  Hence Dapol's method of mounting the pocket is very different to Bachmann's (at least on the Dapol wagons I have - or it was before I converted them to Kadee whisker couplings), not to mention fixed NEM pockets on some locomotives, and on close-coupling units.  Then there are multiple subtle - and some not-so-subtle - variations on tension lock couplings with NEM swallowtails (eg the Hornby large NEM TLC), plus Kadee knuckle couplings, and Hornby/Roco close couplings.  Those couplings all comply with the NEM 362 standard, but many of them (even some the TLCs) are not interoperable.

Edited by ejstubbs

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have been round this loop yesterday. I need some NEM pockets/mounts for wagons I am building. I have loads of the mounting blocks and loads of couplings with fish-tails, I just need the actual socket with the triangular head on it.

My local model shop couldn't help. As we were near to Beer, I popped into the PECO shop and they don't do them. All I can find is the Hornby X6354 but everybody is out of stock.

So it looks as if my only option is to make some suitable sized tube from styrene sheet and just fix this to the wagon. Has anyone done this successfully? I think the internal dimension of the tube is 3.2mm X 1.75mm. the advantage with the ready-made fishtail is that they are flexible, if I make them myself they are likely to be rigid. But I do have gentle curves so it might not matter.

Any advice?

Ian C

Dart castings do an etched brass fold over pocket  for coaches and you can also get brass channel  from sources that will also make them if closed off with some cover on the open side.The advantage of these is that you can make a drop mounting easily .

IMG_1774.jpeg

IMG_1776.jpeg

Edited by friscopete

• RMweb Gold

I've used PA34 mounts which I assume will be available from Peco under the Ratio Parkside banner eventually when they get around to producing another batch.  In conjunction with Bachmann's NEMs (short, long, straight, cranked) which come complete with pockets but are,another wobbly supply situation, they provide a flexible and easily adjusted mount for the couplings, with a degree of adjustment available in terms of position on the wagon floor and height above the rail, the latter achieved by trimming the top of the coupling or packing it.

But these things are produced in batches, that's the 21st century for you.  It is convenient for the manufacturers, who are absolved by it of the need to maintain warehouses and supplies of spares with a suitable restocking and distribution network.  So the best advice is to buy them, both the couplings and the mounts, when they are available and not wait until you need them; you need to keep a stock of them on hand, and in quantities of at least twice what you reckon yo

That may be the best advice, but it is of no use to anyone who does not have them to hand (me included) and has a loco or vehicle waiting for them.  I find that NEM couplings are a comestible that needs replacement as the the hooks tend to part company with the rest of the thing and are impossible to re-attach.  The bit I call the 'waggler' is delicate and intolerant of mishandling as well.  I usually find that a packet of couplings is used up much more quickly than I thought it would be as I replace hookless couplings and weak wagglers, but of course not quickly enough to prevent my being caught out by the next round of unavailability.  For instance, at the present time, I have a few short cranked Bachmanns but no straights and only one (what's the point of that, a vehicle needs two) long cranked, and apparently no chance of getting any either for now.  One has to play the long game, or perhaps the short game, or perhaps the straight game, or perhaps the cranked game, or perhaps the short cranked game, or...

Milliput can be used to insert the coupling waggler v pieces into, thus forming a dovetail, if there is no viable alternative handy.  A little oil on the 'put will prevent the top of the coupling pocket sticking to it while it goes off.