SSA wagon differences

faa77

There's a rather larger number of various green/blue SSA scrap metal wagons: 33-430, 33-431, 33-431A, 33-434, 33-435, 33-436 to name a few.

Besides 435 being weathered and 431A a slightly different design what is the difference? What I'm really asking is: are they all of the same tooling quality? Or, like the Class 37 loco, is there an earlier tooling which is inferior to a later release?

There's a rather larger number of various green/blue SSA scrap metal wagons: 33-430, 33-431, 33-431A, 33-434, 33-435, 33-436 to name a few.

Besides 435 being weathered and 431A a slightly different design what is the difference? What I'm really asking is: are they all of the same tooling quality? Or, like the Class 37 loco, is there an earlier tooling which is inferior to a later release?

Try this for a starting place - Bachmannn's list of past products (Up to date to 2012 when they stopped updating it)

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/pdfs/branchline_products_by_item_no_rev11.pdf

Bachmann SSA wagons have been available for around 10 years. Some older Bachmann wagons did not have NEM coupling pockets when first introduced. The pockets were added with later releases. TTA tank wagons for example.

May be worth checking if you are buying secondhand.

Mal

Bachmann SSA wagons have been available for around 10 years. Some older Bachmann wagons did not have NEM coupling pockets when first introduced. The pockets were added with later releases. TTA tank wagons for example.

May be worth checking if you are buying secondhand.

Mal

Even longer than that Mal, I posted some of these I sold on eBay in 2002/3 !

Kernow have had a ltd edition EWS one on their website forever but it doesn't ever seem to come to fruition, probably as it will have the original body not the one EWS rebuilt on them.

As far as I'm aware they are all the same tooling, it was one of the first modern wagons from Bachmann. They are all in the Barclay blue colour with weathered versions and a couple had the SR lettering blacked out which adds a little variety. Several running numbers produced over the years including the transrail grey painted one. They are worth looking out for at shows as you'll pick them up for £10. The best I had a number of years back were £5 each from Cheltenham model centre.

Hope you find some ok

Thanks

As far as I'm aware they are all the same tooling

There is a slight tooling variation as some of the Bachmann releases have been in as built condition so don't have the angled plates on the ribs that were added to stop scrap accumulating, 33-431 for example. From memory this is how the model first appeared with the angled plates coming on later releases. There may have been a subsequent release without the plates I think.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if these wagons have NEM coupling pockets?

It's difficult to tell from photos. As they have been around for many years I wonder if, perhaps, only recent releases have the pockets.

Thanks,

Mal

• 11 months later...