Another Channel 5 Documentary series:- Paddington 24/7

phil-b259

• RMweb Premium

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere so a heads up for anyone who enjoys this sort of programme

In general (based on episode 1) it looks pretty much the same as the Kings Cross one last year and is produced for a non railway audience so don't expect it to get too technical

Its on every Monday at 21:00 with previous episodes available online (Episode 1 included the the day of the terrorist attack at London Bridge and a visit to Oxford to see the Kirov crane in action in the 9 day possession).

http://www.channel5.com/show/paddington-station-247/

https://www.my5.tv/paddington-station-247/season-1/episode-1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just a heads up - you remember that incident where a HST power car derailed upon departure a couple of moths ago - well Channel 5 are going to feature its recovery in Mondays programme.

People should also note that the trailer added to the end of episode 6 even had CCTV footage of the derailment actually happening!

It could thus make for interesting viewing for those versed in track maintenance

• RMweb Premium

Just a heads up - you remember that incident where a HST power car derailed upon departure a couple of moths ago - well Channel 5 are going to feature its recovery in Mondays programme.

People should also note that the trailer added to the end of episode 6 even had CCTV footage of the derailment actually happening!

It could thus make for interesting viewing for those versed in track maintenance

In one of the railway mags they say the derailment was blamed on rotten sleepers!

Sounds like Collett and his umbrella spike again. :jester:

Keith

Edited by melmerby

If that includes management "flapping" over reopening times, whilst seemingly being unable to coordinate the various activities (including the second RIO who lacked the ability to communicate under pressure) then I suppose it was very realistic..

Pardon me for being thick, but the engineering group insisted that both platforms 1 and 2 could not be open while they were repairing the timbers towards the buffer stops where the track had spread under the power car in platform 2; but as an emergency measure, could they have not stopped all trains into 1 and 2 short by say 2 or 3 carriage lengths?

Ok it would have meant passengers having to walk a bit further, but that is preferable to most than having to get out at Reading. 

I have not noticed a 2+9 HST filling the entire platform length at Paddington, so surely they wouldn't be fouling the throat when coming to a stand further away from the buffers. Or his the signalling now positioned differently to make this impossible, and if so - why?

The video footage of the power car derailing and lurching to the right as it bumped along the track was very disconcerting even though it was at a slow speed. 

Pardon me for being thick, but the engineering group insisted that both platforms 1 and 2 could not be open while they were repairing the timbers towards the buffer stops where the track had spread under the power car in platform 2; but as an emergency measure, could they have not stopped all trains into 1 and 2 short by say 2 or 3 carriage lengths?

Ok it would have meant passengers having to walk a bit further, but that is preferable to most than having to get out at Reading. 

I have not noticed a 2+9 HST filling the entire platform length at Paddington, so surely they wouldn't be fouling the throat when coming to a stand further away from the buffers. Or his the signalling now positioned differently to make this impossible, and if so - why?

The video footage of the power car derailing and lurching to the right as it bumped along the track was very disconcerting even though it was at a slow speed. 

Hi,

Whilst sensible on the face of it, there would be several issues with what you propose:

1) Whilst repairing sleepers, particularly the ones at Paddington, you have the possibility of making the track further along the platform more likely to spread (think of how easy it is to pull some rail from Peco sleepers when you take start taking sleepers off one end)

2) They would be little to no staff protection of a train coming into the platform other than derailing it again.

3) If they stopped 3 to 4 coach lengths back in Platform 2, the rear end would be sat over the track circuit that deadlocks 8003 crossover, which if you have come across it reverse would mean you would lock it up and effectively close platform 3 as well

4) Again, if they stopped 3 to 4 coach lengths back, the front of the train when departing would be in front of the signal, resulting in the fact that would never get the signal off (the platform starters are not fitted with standing forward controls), therefore you'd have to dispatch by passing the signal at danger with authority, which could cause even greater consequences

Simon

• RMweb Premium

I think this is one of the best fly on the wall documentaries there's been. Thoroughly enjoying it. I knew about the power car derailment and the spread of sleepers but its not until you see it actually happen that you realise it was actually quite dramatic with the power car tilting alarmingly as it came off track. One thing I wondered though, how did they alert driver to stop the train ? The power car was still coupled, did he sense there was something wrong, losing traction as it came off rails? How do you stop a train that's departing?

I think this is one of the best fly on the wall documentaries there's been. Thoroughly enjoying it. I knew about the power car derailment and the spread of sleepers but its not until you see it actually happen that you realise it was actually quite dramatic with the power car tilting alarmingly as it came off track. One thing I wondered though, how did they alert driver to stop the train ? The power car was still coupled, did he sense there was something wrong, losing traction as it came off rails? How do you stop a train that's departing?

The Train Manager would have given one buzz on the driver to Guard bell buzzer, on hearing that the driver shoves the brake handle straight to emergency.

• RMweb Premium

The Train Manager would have given one buzz on the driver to Guard bell buzzer, on hearing that the driver shoves the brake handle straight to emergency.

But isn't the train manager on the train? How would he have known the rear power car was off the rails , unless he was in the adjoining TGS

But isn't the train manager on the train? How would he have known the rear power car was off the rails , unless he was in the adjoining TGS

One of the platform staff could be seen raising both hands above his head. Either the train manager saw that or another member of platform staff who was able to alert the guard did.

Guest Midland Mole

I watched the part of the episode with the derailment in last night, and could not help feeling that once again they were trying to create disaster out of a minor incident.

I found it fascinating to see the power car suddenly move out of alignment and then gently, yes gently, start bouncing down the track.....at about 2mph. I doubt the passengers even felt anything.

At that speed it posed no danger to anyone on that platform, even if the platform had been busy and it certainly posed no risk to anyone on the train

And the narrator and staff kept saying things like "luckily no one was hurt", well you don't say. No one was hurt because nothing happened! :D

It's so normal now in TV for a minor and interesting incident to be blown up to almost disaster level in the script. Still, I enjoyed watching and think it was a pretty good programme. Might have to watch the others now on catch up.

Alex

I watched this programme on Monday night, and found most of it quite interesting. However, having just had my dinner perhaps they could choose more carefully as to when to show (if it must be shown at all) the part where the track gang were clearing the 'rubbish' from the track . . .

• RMweb Premium

I watched this programme on Monday night, and found most of it quite interesting. However, having just had my dinner perhaps they could choose more carefully as to when to show (if it must be shown at all) the part where the track gang were clearing the 'rubbish' from the track . . .

You weren't having "Sausage & Mash" were you?

It was well after the "watershed" wasn't it? :jester:

(Or was that a well in the track where the water was shed) :scratchhead:

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

I blame the stations for charging to use the loo. if they were free, passengers wouldn't feel the need to hold it in till they board the train. :angry:

Maybe the toilets could be locked out of use until the train leaves.

IMHO These days there shouldn't really be any trains that discharge waste onto the track.

Also it would be better at Paddington if there was a ditch running down the middle of the track to catch the effluent rather than mats where there was ballast (changed every three months) or nothing with the baulk track.

Keith

I watched the part of the episode with the derailment in last night, and could not help feeling that once again they were trying to create disaster out of a minor incident.

A derailment is a derailment, whether it be at 5mph or 125mph, it is still a major incident on the railway whatever happens as trains are not meant to come off the tracks!

Whether, it was made a bit OTT by the program is another matter, but it was not a minor incident.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

A derailment is a derailment, whether it be at 5mph or 125mph, it is still a major incident on the railway whatever happens as trains are not meant to come off the tracks!

Whether, it was made a bit OTT by the program is another matter, but it was not a minor incident.

Simon

I thought the footage was much more dramatic than id imagined from hearing it on news. Great nobody was hurt , but I wouldn't describe it as a minor incident. If it had tilted the other way it might have hit another train.

I was interested in the Mats , having seen the platforms at Glasgow Central, some time ago . I thought it was ballast compacted with oil, grease etc. Didn't realise it was an actual mat. Fortunately I think all Scotrail stock have tanks now and there is no effluent getting onto track. Really in this day and age we should be beyond that now . I note Scotrail HSTs will have effluent tanks fitted before entering service