Another Channel 5 Documentary series:- Paddington 24/7

phil-b259

But isn't the train manager on the train? How would he have known the rear power car was off the rails , unless he was in the adjoining TGS

He was in the TGS, they have to be at the rear door on departure from Paddington.

The mark 3 coaches have droplight door windows so the TMs get a good view of the platform train interface (PTI) unlike modern trains.

You can see the TM and dispatcher wave to each other as the train departs, the dispatcher then raises both hands above his head and the TM can be seen disappearing into the TGS to hit the button.

But bear in mind that the normal formation of GWR HSTs is First Class at the buffers at Paddington, therefore TGS at the front on departure. If this train had been this way round, with the curvature at Paddington, the TM would probably have been unaware that the rear PC had detailed, and may not have seen handsignals from the platform staff.  

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

According to the Radio Times there is a new series (number 3) of this starting next Monday

It on Monday 26th @ 21:00 Channel 5 (UK)

Keith

Trailer on C5s Facebook page (no need to log in to view)

https://www.facebook.com/channel5uk/?hc_ref=ARRgMctbRQVhGneESnMQ0S0C4OnqNYNfDPMLIOCrZOFuOVgqtCmfdOq-zXa4F2-WbN4&fref=nf&__xts__[0]=68.AI%40be59589b404ee0b98906845d9a560fe5&__tn__=-RH-R&ft[tn]=kC-R-RH-R-R&ft[qid]=6536464223282354444&ft[mf_story_key]=-3748395187721170948&ft[is_sponsored]=1&ft[ei]=AI%40be59589b404ee0b98906845d9a560fe5&ft[top_level_post_id]=1860821977270977&ft[page_id]=155538241132701&ft[src]=10&ft[page_insights][155538241132701][role]=1&ft[page_insights][155538241132701][page_id]=155538241132701&ft[page_insights][155538241132701][post_context][story_fbid]=1860821977270977&ft[page_insights][155538241132701][post_context][publish_time]=1521729000&ft[page_insights][155538241132701][post_context][story_name]=EntVideoCreationStory&ft[page_insights][155538241132701][post_context][object_fbtype]=1&ft[page_insights][155538241132701][actor_id]=155538241132701&ft[page_insights][155538241132701][psn]=EntVideoCreationStory&ft[page_insights][155538241132701][sl]=5&ft[page_insights][155538241132701][targets][0][page_id]=155538241132701&ft[page_insights][155538241132701][targets][0][actor_id]=155538241132701&ft[page_insights][155538241132701][targets][0][role]=1&ft[page_insights][155538241132701][targets][0][post_id]=1860821977270977&ft[page_insights][155538241132701][targets][0][share_id]=0&ft[fbfeed_location]=1&ft[insertion_position]=51&ft[ordinal_position]=61%3A5&__md__=1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Did anybody watch tonight's (April 2nd) episode?

I was puzzled by the bridge strike bit.

The NR guy checked the lorry's height marking in the cab and said "It's three metres ten" (which to me is 3.10 metres).

He then checked the bridge and said "It's three metres eight"( which to me is 3.08 metres), saying that's why he struck the bridge, but the bridge was marked 3.8m which in words is "three metres eighty"!

I played it through three times in case I had misheard but I hadn't.

See bridge here:

https://goo.gl/maps/xCZwSJFzjdJ2

Would somebody like to do the conversion? I don't get correlation between the two height markings

Something definitely not right there.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

I thought last weeks episode showing the Beast from the East and it’s effects was very good. Last nights not so enjoyable, we did seem to go from one issue to another . You do wonder if anyone is being put off train travel because it always seems to be in crisis. Hadn’t picked up on the bridge issue 3.8m v 3.10 , but the driver was booked by the police so. They must have checked it. Interesting detail on the Gotcha boxes .

Edited by Legend

• RMweb Gold

Did anybody watch tonight's (April 2nd) episode?

I was puzzled by the bridge strike bit.

The NR guy checked the lorry's height marking in the cab and said "It's three metres ten" (which to me is 3.10 metres).

He then checked the bridge and said "It's three metres eight"( which to me is 3.08 metres), saying that's why he struck the bridge, but the bridge was marked 3.8m which in words is "three metres eighty"!

I played it through three times in case I had misheard but I hadn't.

See bridge here:

https://goo.gl/maps/xCZwSJFzjdJ2

Would somebody like to do the conversion? I don't get correlation between the two height markings

Something definitely not right there.

Keith

Glad it wasn't just me...if I had a 3.1m vehicle I'd regard 3.8m as very passable...

Edited by Gilbert

• RMweb Gold

I thought last weeks episode showing the Beast from the East and it’s effects was very good. Last nights not so so enjoyable, we did seem to go from one issue to another . You do wonder if anyone is being put off train travel because it always seems to be in crisis. Hadn’t picked up on the bridge issue 3.8m v 3.10 , but the diver was booked by the police so. They must have checked it. Interesting detail on the Gotcha boxes .

If people are being put off, it just means that those of us who aren't have a better chance of getting a seat. :jester:

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

My inner pedant nearly had a heart attack last night when the subtitles came up with 'axel counter'. 

Axel Counter

A well known German mathematician? :jester:

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Count von axel, count two axels...

I can't understand why the absence of the loco for several hours in the morning introduced such a degree of panic amongst those preparing the sleeper for the following night - after all the coaches are still there and there was another 57 on the other end if they wanted ETH.  A bit symptomatic of the attitude of trying to find some drama in every episode and turning it into a crisis.  I do wonder though how many people will subscribe to the phone lottery during the ad breaks to win a weekend break on GWR, when they've spent the previous 40 minutes watching a range of the things that could go wrong. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The Radio Times reckons that tonight's episode is an hour-long, in depth examination of a points failure at Didcot (with some other engineering works for levity).

Now that's a programme for a very specific audience!

:O

I do find that the series does contain some more in depth railway goings on.

It had mentions of axle counters, track circuits, joining 98lb to 113lb rail and fishplates etc.

IMHO All rather technical for the casual viewer, but OK for those with some interest in the railways.

Keith

Should be described as a TV Hour with quite a few Ads and some train stuff in between. I have to Tape this and watch it skipping the ads though in future, Save me 20 mins I'd guess.

But you're missing the chance to win a trip of a lifetime on what seems to be the worst railway on the planet :)

Who's moved Didcot?

At least twice in last night's programme it was claimed to be 46 miles from Paddington which means it's now about halfway between Goring and Cholsey!

Maybe it's another consequence of the well planned and executed electrification scheme?

• RMweb Premium

SWMBO loves it ,I think she thinks it’s a Comedy programme, I love the way they make mountains out of molehills but like others have said this makes TV drama.

The episode made me wonder about today’s railways was the episode where and HST hit a branch causing some minor damage to the front of the loco , after several hours of delay managers arrived on the scene to inspect the damage they couldn’t persuade the driver to continue but as it turned out there was a spare driver on board the train because there are slight damage to the windscreen driver refused to go forward on the train after again hours of daylight reversed back I think it was the Newbury .

I recently read an article in a magazine which described how the driver of a castle class and on a run into Paddington when coal from a passing trains tender smashed the spectacle plate injuring the driver in the face, the fireman of the train looked after the driver whilst continuing into Paddington, so that he took control of the loco ,looked after the injured colleague , drove, and fired and completed the journey.

My son works on the railway and he will say is would you sign for it, that’s today’s world where everything as compensation attached to it.

SWMBO loves it ,I think she thinks it’s a Comedy programme, I love the way they make mountains out of molehills but like others have said this makes TV drama.

Some of the passengers make mountains out of molehills anyway!

In last week's episode a woman was shown twice in the opening sequence saying "This is sheer hell."

Later in the episode we found out what had caused her to say this.

Was it that she'd had to stand all the way from Penzance on a train ram jammed full of passengers, which had then been stopped in the middle of nowhere for eight hours with no air conditioning and no water?

No, the reason was...

Her ticket hadn't printed properly!

What amazed me was when the rail maintenance crew said that some of the rails in the platforms were 30 years old! It's no wonder they kept having problems with derailments and track circuits.

I wouldn't have thought that the rails, especially up to the stops, would have experienced much wear, given the low speed and generally gentle braking of the approaching train.