12 Wheel Pullmans + Bournemouth Belle train pack

kiltedsignaller

It does look good -- and Hattons have sent an email saying it will go up from £35 to £42 in the next day or so.

Paul

I might pre-order a Bournemouth Belle trainpack if they can keep a good price on that! UKP164 last time I looked.

... but isn't that 3rd or 4th quarter?

Rob

The first releases, Monaco and Car No.98, ex-Milan, were built for the Dover and Folkestone boat trains.

As far as I can tell Monaco spent most of its life on them. I recorded seeing it on a boat train close to withdrawal around 1960.

Car No.98 went to the South Western when it was rebuilt from the car Milan around 1947 and seems to have spent most of its time on the Bournemouth Belle until a new(er) set was made up which lead to its withdrawal around 1961.

A quick question without notice: were the 12-wheelers on the Bournemouth belle repanelled? I have not found a clear enough picture to tell whether they had matchboarded or smooth sides.

According to Antony Ford, of the 12-wheel Bournemouth Belle Cars of the 1950s: Rosalind, Sunbeam, Hibernia and Car Nos 6, 41, 47, 95, 96, 97, 98 and 294 were all given flush sides at some time during the early Fifties (exact dates not given but 1951/52 commonly quoted). Car No 7 may have remained panelled but was withdrawn early (1955). Topaz was an eight-wheeler.

Mine arrived this morning. must say that it looks superb, but it will have to wait until later for a run.

Couple of minor niggles. The gangways are shorter than on the 8 wheeled ones, meaning that it leaves a gap when close coupled, And they have supplied yet another different coupling type for close coupling, not a problem for me as I will be Kadee-ing it.

As for where did they run and when ? Mine will be going in my S.Devon Pullman/Devon Belle set.ohmy.gif

One question though. Will the 12w Brake be available seperatelyicon_question.gif

I have e-mailed Hornby on a couple of occaisions, but have not had a reply.

• RMweb Gold

I might pre-order a Bournemouth Belle trainpack if they can keep a good price on that! UKP164 last time I looked.

... but isn't that 3rd or 4th quarter?

Rob

According to an email I got from Honby today, the Bournemouth Belle Train Pack is in the April release schedule.

http://www.Hornby.com/new-releases/april-2010-new-releases,43,HPR.html

Really like the look of these 12 wheelers.

Might have to put a preserved special together although no idea what would be needed, everything seems to be a kitchen ! lol.

• RMweb Gold

So, I am thinking about making up a "preserved vintage" rake for specials, would a rake consist of just 12 wheelers or would 8 wheelers have been mixed in too?

I am thinking along the lines of getting the Bournemouth belle train pack plus coach pack, that would give a six rake so maybe only need a couple of extras to mix in. Would anyone know if the "Bournemouth Belle" coach name boards are removable?

Best price I have seen for the Train pack so far is about £153.

How similar are the new Hornby 12 wheelers to Pullmans used in Scotland by the LMS?

Unfortunately, they were very different beasts.

The ones built for the Caledonian Railway were constructed to be compatible with the existing stock: long buffers, concertina gangway bellows. They were purpose built for the services, mainly as restaurant cars, and had no toilet facilities. Interestingly, they were also the first British Pullmans to have oval windows in the doors.

• RMweb Premium
...and they have supplied yet another different coupling type for close coupling...

I just got one today, and the coupling is the European type, a 'loop and tooth' arrangement:

post-6714-127030530549_thumb.jpg

A few other shots:

post-6714-127030534103_thumb.jpg

post-6714-127030535434_thumb.jpg

post-6714-127030537152_thumb.jpg

post-6714-127030539207_thumb.jpg

post-6714-127030540679_thumb.jpg

post-6714-127030541717_thumb.jpg

From initial appearances it looks a good model, however I can't vouch for accuracy to prototype. I for one though will be looking at getting the further single coaches, and also the train and coach packs. Will anyone want a surplus Brittania? ;)

• Like 1