Surprise Level crossings

Extending the subject of "surprise" level crossings to other locations, there is this one at Amlwch in North Wales

post-14569-0-82440200-1507286277.jpg

Located on the private line connecting Amlwch Station with the Associated Octel Works, it was originally worked by their own locomotives but latterly BR locos worked right through to the factory gates.  Here 25285 is returning from the works with an outgoing train. The lorry was used by the Associated Octel workers who operated the gates.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

The location to day is a little different as tesco is on the site.

Marc

I reckon there's a pretty high proportion of my 1970s pictures to which I could append one of two comments. Either "The site is now a retail park" or "This view is now blocked by trees"

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Another point of building's close proximity to rails is in Glo'ster, where a tramway meandered from the docks by The Whitesmith's Pub, horse-drawn originally.

and not forgetting Welshpool where the line ran ''Indian'' style through the houses from Raven Square to the main station 

Just my two penn'orth, bound to be many more of course.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

One or two more from my Flikr faves:

The classic location:

21568402576_44bea2bf7b_c.jpgRD9336a (1963/07 - 8).  Church Street Level Crossing, Welshpool. by Ron Fisher, on Flickr

One from Germany: 

https://flic.kr/p/XXajP7

A Deltic in the High Street - surely a surreal dream.

36383316932_2449c21bd4_c.jpgECML diversion by Kevin Lane, on Flickr

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 8

One or two more from my Flikr faves:

The classic location:

21568402576_44bea2bf7b_c.jpgRD9336a (1963/07 - 8).  Church Street Level Crossing, Welshpool. by Ron Fisher, on Flickr

One from Germany: 

https://flic.kr/p/XXajP7

A Deltic in the High Street - surely a surreal dream.

36383316932_2449c21bd4_c.jpgECML diversion by Kevin Lane, on Flickr

Lincoln High Street (ex GN & GE joint lines)

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

It's one of my pictures and you can find it on Flikr:

OCT 74B Shunter crossing Dowlais High Street, September 1974 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

It's my most popular picture by a considerable margin and it's just appeared in the Journal of the Monmouthshire Railway Society.

Marc, you're welcome to a copy; I'll send you a PM later

Andy,  are you aware of the attached photo by Ian Wright which appears on the title page of the publication shown?

It makes a fascinating contrast with your own image.

post-17823-0-49455300-1523257504_thumb.jpg

Details are "On 3rd Aug 1948 GKN No 11 GOWER Avonside 1521 of 1907.......", noting the unusual lattice signal post.

This is a great little collection of interesting images, published in 1995 and well worth tracking down.

Tony

• Like 2

Many years ago I remember regularly crossing a little used ungated level crossing in Allerton-by-water near Leeds and one day to my surprise I saw a class 11 shunter idling away at one side of the crossing, sat there between a row of houses and a working mens club. At the other side of the road the line disappeared around a corner between the back gardens of more houses. The line was quite heaverly over grown in either direction even back in the late 80s. I have since found out the class 11 I saw was 12099, which is now preserved on the Severn Valley Railway.

The line served the open cast loading point at Bowers Row. There is a photo of 56083 wading through the weeds on September 17th 1987 with a full run of MGR wagons.

For those interested, "The Leeds,Castleford and Pontefract Junction Railway-The Ledston Branch" by the late Ron Rockett.

Many years ago I remember regularly crossing a little used ungated level crossing in Allerton-by-water near Leeds and one day to my surprise I saw a class 11 shunter idling away at one side of the crossing, sat there between a row of houses and a working mens club. At the other side of the road the line disappeared around a corner between the back gardens of more houses. The line was quite heaverly over grown in either direction even back in the late 80s. I have since found out the class 11 I saw was 12099, which is now preserved on the Severn Valley Railway.

The line served the open cast loading point at Bowers Row. There is a photo of 56083 wading through the weeds on September 17th 1987 with a full run of MGR wagons.

For those interested, "The Leeds,Castleford and Pontefract Junction Railway-The Ledston Branch" by the late Ron Rockett.

• Informative/Useful 1

Sorry for the double post. I have just discovered a new toy. Te link to the National Library of Scotland collection of maps. Ow all I need is a photo of the trains serving the tar and bricquette works in Loscoe West Yorkshire. I ain't holding my breath.

I've got one more picture that maintains the theme:

10419695175_13e5ec89c3_c.jpgAPR 74 04. 45111 Grenadier Guardsman at Holman Bros works Camborne, April 16 1974 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

I always think that great lumbering Peak looks so wrong here; it really ought to be a Class 22.

Lots more information and photos here

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/roskear.html

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Andy,  are you aware of the attached photo by Ian Wright which appears on the title page of the publication shown?

It makes a fascinating contrast with your own image.

attachicon.gifSth Wales Steam Portfolio.jpg

Details are "On 3rd Aug 1948 GKN No 11 GOWER Avonside 1521 of 1907.......", noting the unusual lattice signal post.

This is a great little collection of interesting images, published in 1995 and well worth tracking down.

Tony

Thanks Tony, I'll look out for it.

nice photos on that website. Pity I never ventured further west when I was at uni in the 70s!

If anyone was to run a Western propellng a single 16t wagon and a brake van on their layout, they would be told it never happened!

The picture showing the road of parked cars and an end of like industrial railway next to it,sums up what has happened over past 50 years. All those tin boxes just sitting there, cluttering up the road.Sorry if that sounds a bit political, but it is odd how some photos can capture something so well.

• MarcD changed the title to Surprise Level crossings

Not sure drinking outside in this pub would have been to safe. Its the entrance to White Swan yard in Great Yarmouth. I believe it was an interchange between the M&GNR and the GER. The pub still stands but the house has gone. 

Marc  

Wildswan.jpg

Edited by Furness Wagon
spelling
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 05/10/2017 at 21:45, tamperman36 said:

More impressive were the class 47 & 56 which waded through these weeds to the Bowers Row concentration point.

23 minutes ago, doilum said:

More impressive were the class 47 & 56 which waded through these weeds to the Bowers Row concentration point.

Wondered why I had a feeling of deja vu whilst writing this post. One day I will remember to check previous posts.......

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 05/10/2017 at 21:47, Furness Wagon said:

It surprising that I have never seen on modelled.

Although this is not yet finished, this is a flavour of where the branch from the chocolate factory emerges onto Callow Lane:

IMG_6893.jpg.48eb64c4b698abc1cb22143dccd915fb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
On 28/06/2019 at 09:38, Furness Wagon said:

Not sure drinking outside in this pub would have been to safe. Its the entrance to White Swan yard in Great Yarmouth. I believe it was an interchange between the M&GNR and the GER. The pub still stands but the house has gone. 

Marc  

Wildswan.jpg

Known locally as "The Hole in The Wall"

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 28/06/2019 at 09:38, Furness Wagon said:

Marc  

Another view from a slightly different angle here:

http://www.berneyarms.co.uk/html/yarmouth/rail/quay/quay_white_swan.htm

and here:

http://railthing.blogspot.com/2016/07/through-great-yarmouth-streets.html

and here:

https://www.eastanglianrailwayarchive.co.uk/Railways/Abandoned-Lines-and-Stations/i-JWptHKW

and in context with the quayside line:

https://www.eastanglianrailwayarchive.co.uk/Railways/Abandoned-Lines-and-Stations/i-Knhn5RW

Edited by Osgood
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Looked at the original and the pic with the pink houses, as has been notified it's not the same venue.

However take yourself to 86 High St  Caerharris you'll see the original two up two down cottage somewhat extended and what was the post office under the modern rendered exteriors. The biggest clue is the telephone pole positions. BT/PO were very keen for their line plant to remain in place for decades. So are fairly reliable pointers for accurately placing pictures in an area that may have changed it's appearance.

The trackbed now leads into Muriel Terrace, the aerial view on Google earth also shows the track of the alignment through the area as various structures have a railway sized gap between them for no apparent reason.

Sometimes tracing old railway routes is easy following twin lines of trees across farmland etc. Or the way the road geometry suddenly smooths into graceful curves etc when the highway took over the track bed.

In the Caerharris case you can trace the original mainline along Station Terrace and hedge lines to what is now the Brecon Mountain railway. There are a few clues obtained from projecting from the Caerharris crossing to indicate it also made it's way to the Brecon Railway site.

As the years pass some of the clues are removed by development but some remain in the shape of 1970s homes in the midst of Victorian villas. Exmouth Viaduct is a case local to me that I have been able to correct on a local website which placed the viaduct 300 yards too far into the town centre from its original foundations.

It can be interesting and informative to use Google Earth and its revelations to illustrate where a line once ran. Certainly helps initial surveys.

Edited by Sturminster_Newton
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 04/10/2017 at 20:21, LBRJ said:

I am a great fan of such "surprise" level crossings, so I just had to look at the scene at Caeharris as it is now.

I am pretty sure that the line went where the bins are - such is progress.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.7623795,-3.3458353,3a,75y,147.57h,87.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFxI_5ZACH3C52SIjFbWy-A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Yes indeed, if you swing that google image round to look at the other side of the road, you can see the stone wall in the foreground of the photo below, with a blue car parked right in front of the loco's location.

On 09/04/2018 at 08:06, Osgood said:

post-17823-0-49455300-1523257504_thumb.jpg

• Like 3