de Winton 0-4-0VBT 'Gelli' from a Slater's 'Chaloner' kit

Quarryscapes

How much of the original kit is going to make it into the final build?

Curious of Calne

Good question... Tank, Bunker and Valve gear have been replaced altogether, Main frame has been hacked up to accept new ones, but the rest is pretty much as intended, a few new holes here and there for wiring and extra screws. I'll have spent more on new parts than I did on the kit in the first place by the time it's done, but the same was true of Red Damsel too! At least this time, the money hasn't mostly gone on rivets! 

• Like 1

Tank and bunker from i.Materialise. I grew tired of waiting (been over a month!) and yesterday ordered some tweaked designs from Hexa³ done on a Form 2. Today the i.M parts turned up. I think the Form 2 prints will end up on the model rather than these, we'll see which has the better finish. 

post-21854-0-62269400-1509476585_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just discovered this thread and am now following. Most interesting as I am considering buying this Slater's kit and making similar mods. Any updates on construction?

Nothing further to add yet, the new valve gear still needs purchasing which is having to wait as I've just been investing heavily in camera & extra lighting equipment for work, which should allow me to spend less of 'my' time working form home. All the parts I've designed are available on SHapeways hould you need them.

• 6 months later...

Over a year since anything was last done to Gelli, it's criminal I know...however progress has been made. This week I have had some free time, so out came the lathe and the machining of the crossheads and slidebars is now in progress. I still need to order the replacement valve gear mind, and some 1.5mm silver steel for the piston rods. 

BFI-P1050699.jpg

BFI-P1050693.jpg

BFI-P1050673.jpg

BFI-P1050685.jpg

BFI-P1050694.jpg

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Piston Rod No.1 has been united with a crosshead. It's formed of 1/16" silver steel with the end turned down to be a push fit in the crosshead and is secured with bearing retainer. The hole in the gland was drilled 1/16" which theoretically should have been a nice loose fit but no, I seem to have found undersized drill bits and its actually taken a lot of polishing to get the rod to slide through, and will no doubt take some more once there's a crosshead hanging off it, despite doing all I can to keep it concentric (It's sat in the lathe whilst the retainer cures!)

BFI-DSCF9406.jpg

BFI-DSCF9407.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

This is amazing work here. When you're talking about 3D-printed slidebars and rods being steel, do you mean actual steel? They can 3D print using actual metal, or have I misunderstood?

• Like 1

On 18/03/2019 at 10:06, Ruston said:

This is amazing work here. When you're talking about 3D-printed slidebars and rods being steel, do you mean actual steel? They can 3D print using actual metal, or have I misunderstood?

Yes, actual Stainless Steel, in powder form sintered together roughly with a laser and then injected with molten bronze to actually keep it together. It's a very strange material to work with, requires solid carbide tools. The slidebars ended up being trued with a grinding disc rather than the planned milling cutter simply to avoid the flutes catching on the edges of the slidebars and deflecting rather than cutting. 

The Brass items are lost wax cast the traditional way, but from 3D printed investments rather than hand carved or moulded ones. 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...