GWR building colours

dolydd

I wonder if anyone can suggest a source for something like the GWR colours Light Stone and Dark Stone (or similar) in acrylic. Precision Paints do these but as far as I can see they are only in enamel which I don't like working with. Since colours weather fairly quickly, a lighter shade of the colours would be perfectly acceptable.

Many thanks

I don't know of any specific matches offered but war games modelers have a huge range of high quality acrylics in a massive range of colours. Games Workshop, Vallejo and Reaper all offer very good paints and I am sure it would be possible to find decent matches from their ranges. I model post-nationalisation but I use Ushabti Bone and Rhinox Hide (both from Games Workshop) for WR chocolate and cream as applied to their buildings.

Maybe take swatches of the colours you want to match into your local Games Workshop store and have a rummage to see what comes closest.

• Like 2

I use Vallejo acrylics to mix all my colours for painting buildings.

GWR dark stone = Tan Earth (874)

GWR light stone mixed from 1 drop Dark Sand (847) + 1 drop Mud brown (037)

Because of the Photobucket problem I cannot post an image.  If I can find out how to post a pic later I will.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting thread. I currently use Vallejo 860 medium flesh and 929 light brown, which looks like this before weathering:

post-738-0-28742600-1505933346_thumb.jpg

However I wonder if it is too dark. It is a sort of halfway house between the SVR livery and the theory which favours lighter shades. For the latter, you could have a look at Al's post here (the footbridge), and the comments beneath it: 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/257/entry-19904-new-gwr-footbridge/

• Like 1

I believe the original GWR painting instructions called for paint to be mixed on site using just white lead and red oxide in specific proportions. I've never actually tried it but this was why light stone had a pinkish cast to it and dark stone was obviously just a darker version.

This is not a criticism of the choices above as colour is somewhat perceptive both actually and in photographic form but may be worth bearing in mind.

• RMweb Gold

Looks a better match than some preserved railways that I can think of, all be it some way. Possibly works well as a base for weathering an older building

Out of interest what bass colour did you paint on? If you’ve used a darker colour, a white primer should lighten up the light stone?

The Deathclaw brown isn't bad, but I'm not taken with Zandri dust:

attachicon.gifDSCN0484.JPG

Thanks, good to see it on a model. I agree that Zandri dust looks a little too brown there.

I'll try a second coat on one of the internal walls, but I think a better bet will be to try & find a different shade of 'layer' paint to represent stone #1 - 'Auric Armour Gold' looks worth a shot according to this online swatch:

http://www.bartswork...r_chart_636.png

Auric Armour gold is a metallic shade so probably won't be suitable.

Ungor Flesh or possibly Karak Stone might be OK. It is always hard to judge shades on a monitor. If you can visit a store, viewing them in person makes life a lot easier.

Jeff Smith makes a good point that the paint was hand mixed locally so would not have been entirely consistent, even when freshly applied.

• Like 1

I used Scorched brown (which is sadly discontinued) for WR chocolate and I was pretty happy with it. Games Workshop offer "Rhinox Hide" as the replacement but comparing the two it is clear that the new shade is a lot darker and less red than the old.

Here are swatches, new Rhinox Hide on the left, old Scorched brown on the right.

IMG_20170625_223727.jpg

Here is a WR signal box I painted in Ushabti Bone and Scorched brown.

post-887-0-42486700-1506379038_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Thanks Miss P. What a fantastic link.

I've now started to use the Vallejo paints suggested by ozthedog and am very happy with the colours he recommends. I'll post a piccy if I can work out how to do so. It's really transformed the pagoda, Ratio fencing and the Metcalfe station building.

Edited by dolydd