Ebay annoyances

Butler Henderson

Latest eBay genius, their calendar is wrong, it shows Sunday to be the 22nd March not 21st.  Messed up my listings which I wanted to be live from today Sun 21st Mar!image.png.904485d51fa7db3bd1f3269775e2a9df.png

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I submitted an offer on a Dapol wagon which was listed on eBay.uk at £9.50 buy-it-now post free or "Make Offer".    My offer of £8.50 was instantly declined.   For the sake of £1 difference I clicked buy-it-now and purchased for £9.50.   

It looks like my offer was received by the seller as an offer from USA via eBay.com of eight dollars and fifty cents, which would have been less than half the asking price on eBay.com having regard to the extra cost of shipping to USA.  I have to wonder why an offer which I submitted in Sterling from Scotland UK reached the seller in England UK as an offer in dollars from a buyer located in USA.866778342_Screenshot(1).png.57368d087b553588175656c21b2f3b33.png

Screenshot (2).png

Edited by cessna152towser
  • Friendly/supportive 1

If the seller wants £9.50 for their item, its heir prerogative to keep to a price of their choosing. Why should they sell it to you for less than they wants to !!

I have found that unknown to me that eBay alter their listing procedures and things like these creep in unnoticed.  The listing should be edited if he does not want to use it though, unless £9 is their minimum selling price, in the end its their decision

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I am selling a load of books, comics, magazines and assorted collectables that I no longer need.  I have to check the relistings daily as anything over £5.00 is likely to suddenly amended to Best Offer, with the minimum set at half the start price.  I set it myself if I think my start price might be optimistic, but only at 10-20% discount.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Automatically adding Best Offer to listing is a personal bug bear of mine too, one that is potentially illegal (morally at least).  They do send you a message through their diabolically bad messaging system to say that your item can now accept Best Offer's but only after they have done it and then you have to go through and turn the dratted things off again.

Watch out also for another Ebay wheeze, so called Smart Pricing, basically they automatically knock £1 off your BIN or start price every so often automatically if you have at the moment of listing, accidentally selected it without realising but I forecast this will become the default at some point and you have to turn it off when you list.

The Best Offer and Smart Pricing lowest thresholds mean an item could sell without you realising and not even cover the cost of postage and fees!!

Edited by John M Upton
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

50 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Automatically adding Best Offer to listing is a personal bug bear of mine too, one that is potentially illegal (morally at least).  They do send you a message through their diabolically bad messaging system to say that your item can now accept Best Offer's but only after they have done it and then you have to go through and turn the dratted things off again.

Watch out also for another Ebay wheeze, so called Smart Pricing, basically they automatically knock £1 off your BIN or start price every so often automatically if you have at the moment of listing, accidentally selected it without realising but I forecast this will become the default at some point and you have to turn it off when you list.

The Best Offer and Smart Pricing lowest thresholds mean an item could sell without you realising and not even cover the cost of postage and fees!!

I am one of those who does like to find bargains, but on the rare occasions I do make an offer usually its for auction items and for more than the starting price. On the other hand I dont try and steal items by knocking folk down.

The other week I made an offer that was rejected, I forgot about it and the winning bid was for less than I offered, it was actually worth loosing the bid to think the seller missed out.

7 hours ago, hayfield said:

The other week I made an offer that was rejected, I forgot about it and the winning bid was for less than I offered, it was actually worth loosing the bid to think the seller missed out.

This has happened to me as a seller. I was selling a Farish HEA hopper in Mainline blue with deeply unconvincing graffiti. I was asking for about £7, I think. Someone offered me about £8.50 but I thought it would probably fetch more (it's certainly not a rarity, but it was the only example of that particular model on eBay at that time) so I turned it down. In the end, it only got one bid and sold at the starting price.

As with most other things that happen on eBay, you just take it as it comes and move on.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

It looks like Ebay are trying to find their way around my armada of adblockers.  A couple of totally irrelevant banner adverts crept through this evening.  A few adjustments soon saw them off but it was annoying.

9 hours ago, John M Upton said:

It looks like Ebay are trying to find their way around my armada of adblockers.  A couple of totally irrelevant banner adverts crept through this evening.  A few adjustments soon saw them off but it was annoying.

Given they often reduce their sellers fees any additional income is beneficial. I just ignore the adverts but accept they help keep my costs down

• RMweb Premium

I posted three days ago about eBay.co.uk defaulting to ebay.com when I submitted an offer.

It is happening often these days that my eBay.co.uk migrates to e.Bay.com without any prompting on my part.

I was just checking my eBay Nectar points and noticed a recent £11 purchase was awarded nul points.     There is an explanator that the item was purchased from a site outside of e.Bay.co.uk and therefore did not qualify for Nectar points.   As far as I was aware I had purchased on eBay.co.uk and the item does indeed show on my purchase history.   Luckily only an £11 purchase so only eleven points lost, but I would have been annoyed if this had been a major purchase or an item purchased on a multiple points offer.

Edited by cessna152towser
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I have two dilemmas with Ebay sellers on the go at the moment, opinions invited!!

Case No 1:  Looking at a book, only available second hand but two copies listed in the UK on Ebay.  One is £20 including postage (actually it is £20.99, it went up by 99p overnight!) but the sellers reputation (World of Books) is appalling.  The other copy is £30 including postage and the seller looks much more reputable, 100% glowing feedback.  Do I spend that extra tenner and head off potential hassle?

Case No 2:  Purchased a garden planting tidy tray type thing for SWMBO (made up for the number of Athearn Blue Box bargains that keep arriving at the door!!) and the seller had delivery listed for the end of the week, this was two weeks ago.  Now estimated delivery has moved twice, firstly to the end of April, now it is the end of May.    An inquiry to the seller resulted in a quite frankly gibberish auto reply message that made little if any sense and didn't answer the question.  Should I cut and run and request Ebay to get involved?  The sellers feedback isn't exactly glowing either...

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

I have two dilemmas with Ebay sellers on the go at the moment, opinions invited!!

Case No 2:  Purchased a garden planting tidy tray type thing for SWMBO (made up for the number of Athearn Blue Box bargains that keep arriving at the door!!) and the seller had delivery listed for the end of the week, this was two weeks ago.  Now estimated delivery has moved twice, firstly to the end of April, now it is the end of May.    An inquiry to the seller resulted in a quite frankly gibberish auto reply message that made little if any sense and didn't answer the question.  Should I cut and run and request Ebay to get involved?  The sellers feedback isn't exactly glowing either...

I would definitely cut and run. Seems like a case of the seller listing an item that he doesn't actually have.

• Agree 4

I’ve not had any problems with the few things I’ve had from World of Books.

The World of Books website...

https://www.worldofbooks.com/en-gb?

About them page...

https://www.worldofbooks.com/en-gb/about-us

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Links added...research done
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Sold an item to someone in Jersey who wasn't aware he lives in a tax haven and wouldn't co-operate in filling in the customs paperwork. So I relisted and ticked all the boxes to ensure I only got a UK mainland buyer and Ebay found me a buyer.....in Sweden (they've opened a technical query). Packlink doesn't recognise the zipcode the buyer uses in Sweden so won't progress to the next screen.

Looks like it will be listed for for a third time, but I've now been hit with this:

image.png.8b55ed05732558274c4a29a95610a948.png

Can't say I'm enjoying the experience.

Edited by cactustrain
  • Friendly/supportive 4

54 minutes ago, cactustrain said:

Sold an item to someone in Jersey who wasn't aware he lives in a tax haven and wouldn't co-operate in filling in the customs paperwork. So I relisted and ticked all the boxes to ensure I only got a UK mainland buyer and Ebay found me a buyer.....in Sweden (they've opened a technical query). Packlink doesn't recognise the zipcode the buyer uses in Sweden so won't progress to the next screen.

Looks like it will be listed for for a third time, but I've now been hit with this:

image.png.8b55ed05732558274c4a29a95610a948.png

Can't say I'm enjoying the experience.

I get that all the time. Normally just refreshing the page sorts it. If not shut the browser down and start again. Flaming annoying when youve just spent ages doing something. Hence i now copy it before clicking go.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 27/03/2021 at 14:50, John M Upton said:

Case No 1:  Looking at a book, only available second hand but two copies listed in the UK on Ebay.  One is £20 including postage (actually it is £20.99, it went up by 99p overnight!) but the sellers reputation (World of Books) is appalling.  The other copy is £30 including postage and the seller looks much more reputable, 100% glowing feedback.  Do I spend that extra tenner and head off potential hassle?

If W.o.B don't deliver parkup the 313 at Goring and nip around the corner to their warehouse.... :D

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, SGP said:

What's with eBay ditching Paypal? I thought they owned it. 

They sold it off in 2015, with a 5 year deal not to change anything with regards to using paypal as a payment source, Now that is up they are bringing payments in house.

Edited by Bucoops
  • Like 1

Using PayPal with eBay lately is getting a bit of a pain, as PayPal is requesting additional verification more often now.

Also more worrying is eBay's link with Hermes via Pack link. I have found Hermes is not a courier to be trusted. Twice I have had packets at other houses, both photos sent were of other peoples houses, not mine !! Despite me sending a photo of my front door Hermes still insisted they had delivered the packets to me. As it happens the second was my neighbours door, the first was in a completely different road, who's post code was nothing like mine, thankfully the owner brought it to my house. One of these deliveries was using Pak Link, both Hermes and eBay did not want to know. ( With the first parcel despite receiving an email with a photo from Hermes, their agent utterly refused it was from Hermes, as it was a Pak Link parcel !!!)

I try and avoid (like many others) sellers who use Hermes. However if an item is not delivered I will reclaim via eBay and will not accept photographic proof unless its to us with our at our open door. Far too many people are not receiving their items from Hermes, who have an awful customer services record with me and many others   

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
On 27/03/2021 at 14:50, John M Upton said:

My advice 

Case 1. Use the more reputable seller.

Case 2. Cancel purchase. File an item not sent to Ebay for a refund.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The Hermes courier that delivers to my work drove his van yesterday with the back doord open and left loads of parcels all over the road. Just when they were starting to improve, they find a new reason to avoid.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

The Hermes courier that delivers to my work drove his van yesterday with the back doord open and left loads of parcels all over the road. Just when they were starting to improve, they find a new reason to avoid.

In one way its very much down to the courier, many are excellent. Others sadly not fit for purpose

However the attitude of the company in my opinion is awful, do try and contact them when there is an issue. Apparently even harder to get any form of compensation. I understand either a northern police service and or  a trading standards are compiling complaints where theft is being claimed. I think they are on borrowed time, if not they should be.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1