Ebay annoyances

Butler Henderson

13 hours ago, petethemole said:

Well, it's sold as new, unopened....   The usual complaint is that sellers advertise locos etc as unopened when they have clearly opened them for photography!

Better sellers do say that they have opened packets to take photos. There is a clear difference from someone just taking a photo of the box, and someone trying to give an honest appraisal of the kits condition, both descriptively and photographic. And I think this increases both interest and the final price

To me unless I am buying from a retailer (and its not declared as old stock) it will be a new item. Simple phrases like factory sealed, un-started etc plus decent photo's of the contents will show its true condition. If the seller has been lazy or vague with the description, I will lower my valuation appropriately. Likewise if the seller has gone to some trouble to give an honest description, I would be more inclined to offer more.

I recently bought a part built DJH 1366 loco for £40 plus postage, from a quick check its missing one tank breather and the hand rail wire. I ended up paying slightly less than I thought it was worth, had I been aware only these two items were missing my maximum bit would have been higher, and perhaps I would have not won the lot as others may have bid even more. A photo of the box only brings doubt into the equation 

Going to have a moan about car parts sellers on ebay today. It's like pulling teeth, they just about all dropship from suppliers, few of them can actually seem to manage to get things delivered within their own specified time frame. 

I have one order since last thursday, and 5 since saturday in various stages of ineptitude. Of the 5 from Saturday, one turned up a day early without being marked dispatched (dropshipped from supplier). One turned up on time (from seller), one was sent by RM48 when I'd paid extra for express courier but at least it arrived, albeit late. I have been refunded the postage. One more was supposed to have been here Tuesday as well, still isn't here, not marked as dispatched, seller uncommunicative so case opened. One I expect to turn up today, though I'm not holding my breath. The remaining one from Thursday is also I expect being dropshipped, RM say they've got it on a 48hr service, and have had since Tuesday, but they don't expect to get it to me til Friday! 

Grrrrrrr! A job I was expecting to do Wednesday evening is now going to have to wait til next week, and the Mrs will be going to work on the train since her car is out of action pending delivery of bits. 

Not an eBay annoyances per say but certainly a bought through eBay annoyance. Bought a loco off eBay last weekend. Arrived yesterday well packed. Item was described as mint with a sealed detail packet and the usual "the photos form the description". It looked OK from the photos were there so put my bid in and won. Only trouble is i would describe said model as average to good. While it did have a sealed detail pack the loco was missing its marker lights on one end, the brake rigging had fallen off and in one case the mount was broken, the body was loose on chassis (it had been dcc fitted at some point) so I'm debating what to do. I don't really want to return it as i can sort it out with some work  it but if i know it had these faults i probably wouldn't have bid so high as the photos did not show any of the areas that were faulty. Should i just accept it and move on as thats life but not leave any feedback or should i say something but then risk returning something that i could sort out with time (but shouldn't have had to).

• RMweb Premium
On 27/05/2021 at 12:04, G-DIMB said:

Should i just accept it and move on as thats life but not leave any feedback or should i say something but then risk returning something that i could sort out with time (but shouldn't have had to).

It is annoying if you feel its not worth what you paid but really the options are keep it or return it. Asking for a partial refund might work but generally is assumed to be a buyer trying it on and many sellers will refuse (understandably).

If you return you wont be out of pocket and a better one will come along. if you decide to keep it, no point worrying about the price you paid and just enjoy having it.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Ebay seem to be tinkering with their search system yet again.

Try searching N Scale for 'Class 20' and you get absolutely nothing.  Add the word 'Farish' to the 'Class 20' and they all come up, in the N scale section.

What the hell is going on?!?

8 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Ebay seem to be tinkering with their search system yet again.

Try searching N Scale for 'Class 20' and you get absolutely nothing.  Add the word 'Farish' to the 'Class 20' and they all come up, in the N scale section.

What the hell is going on?!?

I have given up on expecting the search facility to find only what I had input, but accept most of the items found will not be what I am looking for

15 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

It is annoying if you feel its not worth what you paid but really the options are keep it or return it. Asking for a partial refund might work but generally is assumed to be a buyer trying it on and many sellers will refuse (understandably).

If you return you wont be out of pocket and a better one will come along. if you decide to keep it, no point worrying about the price you paid and just enjoy having it.

Indeed that's kind of my feeling. I can sort out the issues so its not the end of the world. However i did get a message asking for me to leave feedback to which i responded of my concerns and why i wouldn't leave feedback however whenever i get a request for feedback it tends to put me off doing it, generally i always leave feedback within 24 hours of receipt of the item and having checked over and so far have never left a negative in 13 years (although its got close). I will await if any response i get from the seller.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 27/05/2021 at 12:04, G-DIMB said:

Not an eBay annoyances per say but certainly a bought through eBay annoyance. Bought a loco off eBay last weekend. Arrived yesterday well packed. Item was described as mint with a sealed detail packet and the usual "the photos form the description". It looked OK from the photos were there so put my bid in and won. Only trouble is i would describe said model as average to good. While it did have a sealed detail pack the loco was missing its marker lights on one end, the brake rigging had fallen off and in one case the mount was broken, the body was loose on chassis (it had been dcc fitted at some point) so I'm debating what to do. I don't really want to return it as i can sort it out with some work  it but if i know it had these faults i probably wouldn't have bid so high as the photos did not show any of the areas that were faulty. Should i just accept it and move on as thats life but not leave any feedback or should i say something but then risk returning something that i could sort out with time (but shouldn't have had to).

I would express my concerns to the buyer, politely, as he has been slightly economical with the truth!

• RMweb Premium
On 08/04/2021 at 12:09, RFS said:

Royal Mail do now provide a collection service although I've not used it yet.

Some sellers are STILL using Hermes collection service.

Almost a week, Hermes have had a Hornby coach which I bought from a private seller and still no indication as to when I might receive it.

Screenshotted a few minutes prior to posting.

Screenshot (5).png

• Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, cessna152towser said:

Some sellers are STILL using Hermes collection service.

Almost a week, Hermes have had a Hornby coach which I bought from a private seller and still no indication as to when I might receive it.

Screenshotted a few minutes prior to posting.

Screenshot (5).png

I cannot believe people still use Hermes at all, recently had a deliveries from Amazon, PDP and Yodel. All knocked the door and waited for us to answer. Royal Mail is always equally efficient.

I cannot understand why companies put up with all the claims for either damaged or lost items, I guess like shoplifting the cost is built into the retail price

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I’ve had a buyer get in touch yesterday to say Hermes have left his parcel with a neighbour however none of them know anything about it!

having looked at the Hermes site I can see a photo of the exact location it’s been left (inside someone’s shed), the drivers name, time it was left and even a GPS pin drop location showing it as being somewhere within about 10m of his address, the long and short of it is it’s been delivered and one of his neighbours must still have it or possibly not even be aware it’s been left in the said shed (it’s not little either, a spoiler for a Mini) 

what’s bothering me is he’s going through eBay resolution centre to say claim the item hasn’t been delivered which is fair enough as it keep it within ebay but knowing what they are like I can see them siding with him and giving him a refund for it despite all the above proof it’s been delivered to his street and signed for by a neighbour and them giving him a refund 

I know that’s maybe being a bit over dramatic but I’ve lost faith in ebay actually listening to sellers so fully expect to lose my money and the buyer get to keep the items too when one of his neighbours shows up with it at a later date

as for Hermes can you see them paying out on a claim for the item (fully insured) as, as far as they are probably concerned it’s been delivered with proof, if it’s gone missing after someone has taken it in then it’s not really their problem

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 02/06/2021 at 10:53, cessna152towser said:

My Hornby coach which Hermes collected from the seller last Thursday was delivered late this afternoon, undamaged, by Hermes courier.    Why it should take an hour or two more than seven full days to travel from Oakham in the East Midlands to Hawick in the Scottish Borders, one can but guess.  170 hours to cover 247 miles.   However all's well that ends well!

3 hours ago, big jim said:

I’ve had a buyer get in touch yesterday to say Hermes have left his parcel with a neighbour however none of them know anything about it!

having looked at the Hermes site I can see a photo of the exact location it’s been left (inside someone’s shed), the drivers name, time it was left and even a GPS pin drop location showing it as being somewhere within about 10m of his address, the long and short of it is it’s been delivered and one of his neighbours must still have it or possibly not even be aware it’s been left in the said shed (it’s not little either, a spoiler for a Mini) 

what’s bothering me is he’s going through eBay resolution centre to say claim the item hasn’t been delivered which is fair enough as it keep it within ebay but knowing what they are like I can see them siding with him and giving him a refund for it despite all the above proof it’s been delivered to his street and signed for by a neighbour and them giving him a refund 

I know that’s maybe being a bit over dramatic but I’ve lost faith in ebay actually listening to sellers so fully expect to lose my money and the buyer get to keep the items too when one of his neighbours shows up with it at a later date

as for Hermes can you see them paying out on a claim for the item (fully insured) as, as far as they are probably concerned it’s been delivered with proof, if it’s gone missing after someone has taken it in then it’s not really their problem

Sadly you are not alone in suffering losses, there are groups on things like Facebook, and it seems those who have lost out usually get the brush off by the customer service, and only get a positive response when they take the claim to the small claims court. I was very lucky twice within a 6 month period I had parcels left at other peoples property, with photographic proof of delivery. Both both photos were of different properties, neither mine. All Hermes said was that both packets were delivered correctly. As it happens one was in my road, the second was delivered the next day by the householder (from another street) who found it against their front door and kindly brought it round. 

Its not an eBay problem, the seller choses the carrier. Though if the seller choses to use Hermes via eBays postage system I guess the contract is with eBay. The buyer needs to register it as not delivered, you then can claim from eBay.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Is it just me or many buyers not bothering to leave any feedback anymore?

I wonder if it is feedback fatigue from the endless popups and begging till assistants online and in shops constantly pleading for feedback that has now affected Ebayers?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

I wonder if it is feedback fatigue from the endless popups and begging till assistants online and in shops constantly pleading for feedback that has now affected Ebayers?

For me it is that eBay has broken the feeling of a “community” with so many listings from almost anonymous business sellers with dodgy location information on buy it now, rather than the auctions by people selling second hand items.

I don’t leave a review on eBay any more than I would for a Tesco Petrol Pump….

• Friendly/supportive 3

41 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

For me it is that eBay has broken the feeling of a “community” with so many listings from almost anonymous business sellers with dodgy location information on buy it now, rather than the auctions by people selling second hand items.

I don’t leave a review on eBay any more than I would for a Tesco Petrol Pump….

I have never known eBay as a community, however it is still a very useful place for the loco kit builder, where kits and parts exchange hands freely and with little trouble. Perhaps this reflects the type of person attracted to this part of the hobby rather than the site itself. I do still leave feedback as do most buyers and sellers

• Like 2

Good old ebay.

i sold my O gauge shelf layout in January.

buyer paid then messaged asking if i could hold onto it until after lockdown.

Didnt really want to but said i would to be nice.

5 months later get a message that a case has been opened for a non delivered item….. the guy says he has changed his mind and wants his money back.

naturally they side with him and refund him, yet i dont get any of my paypal fees back, so i have given them money for absolutely nothing.

becoming a joke on there now tbh.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

You have my complete sympathy. In the circumstances, I fear you must say to yourself "you win some, you lose some". Hopefully you will sell your layout to someone who actually wants it, and for a little bit more money to recoup the losses on the fees.

There is a way to block specific buyers, it is best to search online for the method but straightforward to do. Sometimes I want to start a "blocked buyers" thread but this wouldn't be in the spirit of the hobby, and anyway I think my list contains only two. You have been unlucky.

- Richard.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 09/06/2021 at 09:47, Erixtar1992 said:

buyer paid then messaged asking if i could hold onto it until after lockdown.

Didnt really want to but said i would to be nice.

I guess the moral of the story is "don't be nice".

Still be a nice person but I find online, you sometimes have to be a little less nice to make sure everything goes through as it should.

• Agree 2

On 09/06/2021 at 08:46, John M Upton said:

Phew! Thought it was just me! Am forever 'reminding'  people to leave feedback, especially the large multi item sales that are made to one purchaser!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, MartinWales said:

Phew! Thought it was just me! Am forever 'reminding'  people to leave feedback, especially the large multi item sales that are made to one purchaser!

I'll leave feedback on private sales in most cases but not o  commercial sales. Everybody wants rating on transactions and I don't have the time - they're not paying me for my time and it's for their benefit, not mine. Feedback is largely meaningless now that the system is loaded in the seller's favour. Blame ebay and the wider industry.

If someone 'reminds' me to leave feedback they definitely won't get it. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I'll leave feedback on private sales in most cases but not o  commercial sales. Everybody wants rating on transactions and I don't have the time - they're not paying me for my time and it's for their benefit, not mine. Feedback is largely meaningless now that the system is loaded in the seller's favour. Blame ebay and the wider industry.

If someone 'reminds' me to leave feedback they definitely won't get it. 

Funny that you should mention that, as it's the commercial ones that tend not to leave it.....

I seem to get a lot of repeat buyers who do leave it immediately once received-it's always good to know that the item is appreciated!

• Like 1

Commercial ones are probably using third party software to manage their ebay sales, they are unlikely to ever actually log in to the actual ebay website. At work, we use VOLO Origin, which does not manage feedback. Once a month someone will just go in to the website and blanket feedback everything. 

• Informative/Useful 1