Ebay annoyances

Butler Henderson

1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

Ah, a new annoyance....

Sellers using pretentious nonsense in their descriptions.  Looking at a quite rare CD on Ebay being sold by one of those dealers who pays you 50p for it along with a pile of others only to then bung it on Ebay for thirty quid, which has the bold baffling description "Professionally refurbished".

In other words, their minimum wage university student employee in the warehouse, might have if he/she was bothered, swapped the original case for a slightly less scratched one which ironically devalues the CD, more so as there is no actual picture of the actual item you are being offered so you cannot see what they have done to it

Estate agents have made a living out of doing this for 50+ years

To be quite honest these things rather than annoy me make me smile, especially when they are asking sky high prices

What annoys me is when I search for DJH kits all I get is K's kits from our friendly overpriced seller, especially when the Box in the photo shows the correct name !!!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Got an odd one this morning, not sure what eBay are playing at.  Clicked on a listing that was advertised as Buy It Now at about £4 but the listing itself shows the purchase price as £5.50.  You only get the lower price if you buy a ridiculous multiple of said item!

Meanwhile, searching for Class 20 in N scale listings still comes up blank but add Farish to the search and they all appear.  Something is seriously screwed up here...

• Friendly/supportive 2

I have an interesting issue with Click and Collect. I brought a model train using the eBay Click and Collect function back in June.  Said item was said to have been delivered (with usual bar code etc...) after three visits, it was said that it had not been delivered by RM.  Cue speaking with the shop to seek action (which was not forthcoming).  I opened a missing case and eBay ruled in favour of the seller, so i was out of pocket to a hefty amount and had no item!  I chased eBay in this regard and eventually, eBay stepped up, made a few calls to the shop and agreed that it had not been delivered, even though it had a bar code for pick up.  They actioned a refund for me.  Clearly, eBay pocketed the refund for me, not the shop, after they had checked the item was not in stock (I assume). 

I move onto the interesting bit now, i had a click and collect bar code saying the item had been delivered just yesterday.  So, what do you do! Who is responsible for the cost of this item.  I won;t mention the seller etc... but wondered if anyone else had had the same issue?! 

I had heard that RM just deliver in a big bag and they just check all in, rather than by item until later. Not sure if this is true or not. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GEOEng03 said:

I have an interesting issue with Click and Collect. I brought a model train using the eBay Click and Collect function back in June.  Said item was said to have been delivered (with usual bar code etc...) after three visits, it was said that it had not been delivered by RM.  Cue speaking with the shop to seek action (which was not forthcoming).  I opened a missing case and eBay ruled in favour of the seller, so i was out of pocket to a hefty amount and had no item!  I chased eBay in this regard and eventually, eBay stepped up, made a few calls to the shop and agreed that it had not been delivered, even though it had a bar code for pick up.  They actioned a refund for me.  Clearly, eBay pocketed the refund for me, not the shop, after they had checked the item was not in stock (I assume). 

I move onto the interesting bit now, i had a click and collect bar code saying the item had been delivered just yesterday.  So, what do you do! Who is responsible for the cost of this item.  I won;t mention the seller etc... but wondered if anyone else had had the same issue?! 

I had heard that RM just deliver in a big bag and they just check all in, rather than by item until later. Not sure if this is true or not. 

Take the high moral ground and inform the seller/eBay the item has turned up. Then there will be no recourse on you

• Like 1

TBH, I never had any intention otherwise.  eBay refunded me the money and the seller did not.  I'm sure it will get returned to the seller when I fail to collect it in due course.  I will probably drop eBay a message to make sure that they recover there loss from the seller mind.  The whole experience left a sour taste with the eBay Click and Collect and the seller as well. 

I was just interested to see if anyone else had had a similar experience.  I suspect it has been loitering around the local RM depot since June. 

Thanks 

On 29/08/2021 at 17:26, John M Upton said:

Got an odd one this morning, not sure what eBay are playing at.  Clicked on a listing that was advertised as Buy It Now at about £4 but the listing itself shows the purchase price as £5.50.  You only get the lower price if you buy a ridiculous multiple of said item!..........................................

Fairly normal for eBay multiple listings.   The one that really irks me is when a listing contains multiple items that constitute a complete item.  The listing will show the complete item in the image,  however the price indicated will be for the cheapest component in that item.  Only by clicking on the item description in the listing will a drop down box appear and then after selecting the item will the true price of the complete item be shown.  

On 01/08/2021 at 21:11, hayfield said:

DPD could end up being much cheaper if the item sent gets lost,, as you say the Royal Mail + Post Office proposition is very hard to beat, and with first class costing little extra than second class its not worth the worry using 2nd class

For larger items exceeding Royal Mail limits I choose DPD for international delivery when purchasing train sets from a popular store in Widnes.  Since the later part of the pandemic I have found the tracking with DPD to be useless.  Days after I receive the item,  DPD tracking will show that they have received information on the item from the store,  but as yet the company has not received the actual item from the store in question.

I think the issue is people buy the postage from eBay (or elsewhere) online, eBay tells you its been shipped when all that has happened is a postage label has been bought. Likewise the shipping contractor acknowledges the packet is in the system, when infact all that has happened is that postage has been bought.

I am glad I don't have the hassle of buying from overseas sources, as its a nightmare in a lot of cases

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 08/09/2021 at 12:13, hayfield said:

I think the issue is people buy the postage from eBay (or elsewhere) online, eBay tells you its been shipped when all that has happened is a postage label has been bought. Likewise the shipping contractor acknowledges the packet is in the system, when infact all that has happened is that postage has been bought.

I am glad I don't have the hassle of buying from overseas sources, as its a nightmare in a lot of cases

Although not selling much on ebay, when I do, I always take my parcels to the local Post Office, get a certificate and can then advise the buyer that it has (actually) been sent.

Over many years of occasional sales I've never had any issues from buyers. Despite the sometime bad press regarding RM, they haven't failed me (yet!) unlike Hermes with a couple of parcels to me never arriving.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Re6/6 said:

Although not selling much on ebay, when I do, I always take my parcels to the local Post Office, get a certificate and can then advise the buyer that it has (actually) been sent.

Over many years of occasional sales I've never had any issues from buyers. Despite the sometime bad press regarding RM, they haven't failed me (yet!) unlike Hermes with a couple of parcels to me never arriving.

John I totally agree with you, I use Royal Mail and charge for and use their 1st class service

Saturday I received a package via Hermes, for a start it took 5 days and for some reason seemed to have a hiccup on its journey

The item was a still sealed Langley Models lorry kit, when the item was delivered I was busy so did not notice the Jiffy Bag it was in had been damaged/tampered with. The Jiffy bag was extra large so the tear could have been made by other heavies items on top of it, but strangely the tear was just big enough for the item to be removed, but stopped it falling out by accident. 

Now had it been the likes of Royal Mail I would have put it down to an accident, but with the experience I (and a lot of others) have had with this company there is always the nagging thought it was deliberate.

The hiccup was not with the end deliverer.

The postage I paid was quite expensive, I don't mind as the seller used a new Jiffy bag and it was tracked, its just the time it took and the damage took the shine off the transaction

On the other hand I bought a loco kit on Sunday, the postage cheap £4.20 and it arrived today + so did a Lcut kit I bought on Sunday. £1.20 postage again it arrived unexpectedly today. Little things like this make all the differance 

• Like 2

On 24/09/2017 at 09:22, Crosland said:

Happy to buy fake items or illegal copies then?

More likely to be from the same place the original was made .Of course fakes do appear .Things like Chibson guitars etc but if your paying  too cheap its probably a fake and you know it , where as much electrical gear is made there anyway. Most it not all the stuff I have bought from china is good quality .Really annoying... to some .

• RMweb Premium

Is it just me, or do others dislike being badgered to post immediately the auction ends and before being paid?  I sold two Hornby wagons at lunchtime.  Two minutes later I received a message "hi.can you post today..and can you pack well".  I replied as soon as I had packed the items, described the packaging, and said I would post once I received notification of payment and order details from eBay as to where to send it, which would be today provided paid timeously.    Another hour passed then I received two messages one from eBay saying "Paid post now" and an identically worded one from the buyer.   Item is now posted, three hours after end of auction.  I sent it second class because that was all he paid for.    Much as I hate waiting weeks for people to send stuff, this is the other extreme.  If he had said "please" or "I need it for someone's birthday" I wouldn't have minded.

Edited by cessna152towser
typo
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, cessna152towser said:

Is it just me, or do others dislike being badgered to post immediately the auction ends and before being paid?  I sold two Hornby wagons at lunchtime.  Two minutes later I received a message "hi.can you post today..and can you pack well".  I replied as soon as I had packed the items, described the packaging, and said I would post once I received notification of payment and order details from eBay as to where to send it, which would be today provided paid timeously.    Another hour passed then I received two messages one from eBay saying "Paid post now" and an identically worded one from the buyer.   Item is now posted, three hours after end of auction.  I sent it second class because that was all he paid for.    Much as I hate waiting weeks for people to send stuff, this is the other extreme.  If he had said "please" or "I need it for someone's birthday" I wouldn't have minded.

Firstly a bit of a cheek as he had not paid and a note about packing. I would have said its not available anymore and refunded his money. Sounds like he is going to be trouble

I should have packed up the three items I sold yesterday and which were paid for last night. We are having our bathroom redone and had to fit 3 wall panels, 2 of which needed cutting to length, one to width, plus some squares where pipes are in the way. well at 3pm I was getting a bit worried, in the end I had packed up all 4 and got them to the Post Office well before the 5PM collection

• Friendly/supportive 4

4 hours ago, hayfield said:

Firstly a bit of a cheek as he had not paid and a note about packing. I would have said its not available anymore and refunded his money. Sounds like he is going to be trouble

I should have packed up the three items I sold yesterday and which were paid for last night. We are having our bathroom redone and had to fit 3 wall panels, 2 of which needed cutting to length, one to width, plus some squares where pipes are in the way. well at 3pm I was getting a bit worried, in the end I had packed up all 4 and got them to the Post Office well before the 5PM collection

The problem with that is the buyer can leave harmful negative feedback if they don’t agree to the refund. 

• RMweb Premium

It has happened here too (see Category Changes thread) and it has been an utter disaster as everything irrespective of scale, gauge or relevancy has all been lumped together.

You can't find anything anymore without wading though literally thousands of irrelevant listings.

As a buyer after a few weeks of this mess, I have noticed that new listings have now plummeted and as a seller, sales have suddenly evaporated too.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
On 25/10/2021 at 21:41, ianmacc said:

The item was delivered today and he left positive feedback.  No trouble after all.  Phew!

• Like 4

On 25/10/2021 at 21:39, ianmacc said:

Another side effect nuisance of the faffing about with the categories is that I can no longer just list a similar item from my previously sold listings in the app as they are no longer compatible. Major time increase involved. 

This past week has seen many totally unrelated item from different categories in the lists of supposedly similar things. Why when looking at a kit built loco show me photo frames or an air filter for a car, or even ear rings. Now if its made things a little harder to find its made it harder for others, might be a blessing for buyers

I can understand not knowing the difference between 00 & Ho9, or an electric loco when looking at steam locos. Its a bit like Amazon offering me another drive belt for my lawn mower, if it broke within 2 months why would I buy another !!!

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 25/10/2021 at 21:39, ianmacc said:

Another side effect nuisance of the faffing about with the categories is that I can no longer just list a similar item from my previously sold listings in the app as they are no longer compatible. Major time increase involved. 

Today I just had an email from eBay, "new listings from your saved sellers"

Well one I was interested in when I used the link had no items for sale, and the item purported to be new actually ended yesterday after 7 days of listing

Why do they not realise that when they send out messages or emails which are not what they say they are, in future recipients are more likely to ignore them. 

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Just spotted a new feature I've never seen before - when you select 'Condition - New' for a search list, there are 2 possible options displayed against each item; Brand New or New (other). When you look at items in the 2nd category it appears that this description is used where the seller has done things to the goods, e.g. added a DCC chip or even resprayed / renumbered a loco but they're still classing it as new.

Edited by Graham108
typo

1 hour ago, Graham108 said:

Just spotted a new feature I've never seen before - when you select 'Condition - New' for a search list, there are 2 possible options displayed against each item; Brand New or New (other). When you look at items in the 2nd category it appears that this description is used where the seller has done things to the goods, e.g. added a DCC chip or even resprayed / renumbered a loco but they're still classing it as new.

Describing something as "New" could in fact be very misleading without further clarification

If I have bought something then decided to sell it technically its second hand, especially as I am not a retailer

It may well be "as new", or "un used" but its still second hand

Today I received a kit from a trusted business seller. The kit parts were still individually wrapped, certainly as new but this is a trader who sells second hand items and the kit in this quise went out of production 20 odd years ago.

I always describe items I sell as used, however there is an area where you can write its condition, which could be "as new " or "un-used" etc. 

I always look at the photo's first then read the description if I am interested

• Like 1
  • Agree 2