Ebay annoyances

Butler Henderson

2 hours ago, Nick C said:

I've got a classic car listed on eBay at the moment - just recieved a message that consisted of "buy it now price".

Now, if they can't be bothered to write a proper sentence, use polite language, or even add a question mark, why on earth should I take the effort to reply?

I would quote then a silly price, and if they agree its fair compensation.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

Not much has changed, people are still pig ignorant at times. When I was in my 20s I used to sell a few cheap bangers via autotrader etc. I had dozens of phone calls from chancers who just wanted to get the car for nothing and stick it back up for sale. I still remember the exact phone conversation over a 66000 mile Ford estate with 12 months test and a month's tax for £350.

Me: Hello.

Him: I'm ringing about the car, what's the LEAST you'll take for it?

Me: (irritated and wanting to say £1000) £350

Him: hangs up.

That was fairly typical. 

Oddly the first person to actually come round to look at it spent ten minutes checking it over and handed over £350. He used the car for his window cleaning round for the next five years.

• Like 5

If you use eBays filters correctly you will avoid most if not all of these contacts. Recently I have sold quite a few kits for a friend, so when an offer comes in you either have to make a call or a judgement.

When I list something I price it at the minimum I am happy selling it for, plus a set an auto decline at a price I am happy ceasing the bid early for. Every now and then a PM arrives usually fishing for my minimum price, as of yet all seem quite genuine and polite. I am happy to send a polite reply suggesting a tempting offer above the starting price or waiting to get involved in the auction.

Let's face it, just because I value an item at a certain price it does not mean my price is correct. When I am bidding I want a bargain (unless I know I need to pay more owing to its scarcity) so why should I take umbrage at others doing the same, If I feel someone is taking the Mickey I just disappoint them with a courteous reply. 

Do I get annoyed if I loose a bid ? Or an I tem does not sell ? Just try again.  

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Saw a listing today for a Slater 7mm milk tank kit. Listed as new and says as new in the blurb.

It then goes on to say good for spares as parts missing!

Annoyed my enough to look into reporting it but blatantly inaccurate listing doesnt appear to be one of the grounds under which you can report an item.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

WHY won't people read the ******* descriptions!!!!  Listed an old bit of kit that is most definitely spares or repair and sold as seen, stated in my detailed description this and in bold that it does not work.

Come home this evening to a question from a potential buyer, does it run?

:banghead:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 02/11/2020 at 08:36, hayfield said:

If you use eBays filters correctly you will avoid most if not all of these contacts. Recently I have sold quite a few kits for a friend, so when an offer comes in you either have to make a call or a judgement.

When I list something I price it at the minimum I am happy selling it for, plus a set an auto decline at a price I am happy ceasing the bid early for. Every now and then a PM arrives usually fishing for my minimum price, as of yet all seem quite genuine and polite. I am happy to send a polite reply suggesting a tempting offer above the starting price or waiting to get involved in the auction.

Let's face it, just because I value an item at a certain price it does not mean my price is correct. When I am bidding I want a bargain (unless I know I need to pay more owing to its scarcity) so why should I take umbrage at others doing the same, If I feel someone is taking the Mickey I just disappoint them with a courteous reply. 

Do I get annoyed if I loose a bid ? Or an I tem does not sell ? Just try again.  

I like your ethos there John, and the pricing too.

Normally accept a best offer if it's 85-90% of the Buy it Now price, which means a SPQR (small profit quick return, beloved by Henry Cole of Shed and Buried/Junk and Disorderly!) and a happy customer too!.

2 minutes ago, MartinWales said:

I like your ethos there John, and the pricing too.

Normally accept a best offer if it's 85-90% of the Buy it Now price, which means a SPQR (small profit quick return, beloved by Henry Cole of Shed and Buried/Junk and Disorderly!) and a happy customer too!.

Martin

I did accept two or three offers on behalf of my friend, which at the time I thought were quite generous (none were buy it now and all quite a bit over the initial asking price) I did decline 1 bid and ended up selling it for a little less. But my friend was well pleased as I sold all his items well over what he valued them at

I am currently selling a few bits which came in a lot I bought, I am keeping 1 loco , eighteen Romford wheels, 2 Peco points and a couple of other items. I have had 5 offers for Matchbox cars/HD items, I accepted one generous offer, declined 4 others, 2 have higher bids and one has just had a lower bid made. Judging by the number of watchers on 2 items I am expecting a few higher bids. Even so I am better off with the bids I have than the offers made. As usual I valued the lot on what I saw and received a better quality selection than I anticipated. The whole lot was less than the cost of 18 equivalent Markit wheels.

As you say small profit is always welcome. I am happy if I got the item(s) I wanted and receive a fair price on the bits I don't want 

I recently bought a part built Southeastern Finecast LNER P1 (Hush Hush) loco and a set of Markit drivers and tender wheels for £60, which on the face of it is quite good. I was told all it was missing was its box and rear pony truck. Looking at what's in the box I think I will need a few more bits, but then the Kit is just under £100 and the wheels £50/60  ish so I have a bit of wriggle room 

I think its the fun of finding things others may have missed that we all enjoy

• Like 1

On 05/12/2020 at 12:44, hayfield said:

Martin

I did accept two or three offers on behalf of my friend, which at the time I thought were quite generous (none were buy it now and all quite a bit over the initial asking price) I did decline 1 bid and ended up selling it for a little less. But my friend was well pleased as I sold all his items well over what he valued them at

I am currently selling a few bits which came in a lot I bought, I am keeping 1 loco , eighteen Romford wheels, 2 Peco points and a couple of other items. I have had 5 offers for Matchbox cars/HD items, I accepted one generous offer, declined 4 others, 2 have higher bids and one has just had a lower bid made. Judging by the number of watchers on 2 items I am expecting a few higher bids. Even so I am better off with the bids I have than the offers made. As usual I valued the lot on what I saw and received a better quality selection than I anticipated. The whole lot was less than the cost of 18 equivalent Markit wheels.

As you say small profit is always welcome. I am happy if I got the item(s) I wanted and receive a fair price on the bits I don't want 

I recently bought a part built Southeastern Finecast LNER P1 (Hush Hush) loco and a set of Markit drivers and tender wheels for £60, which on the face of it is quite good. I was told all it was missing was its box and rear pony truck. Looking at what's in the box I think I will need a few more bits, but then the Kit is just under £100 and the wheels £50/60  ish so I have a bit of wriggle room 

I think its the fun of finding things others may have missed that we all enjoy

Putting you on my Ebay watch list......

13 hours ago, MartinWales said:

Putting you on my Ebay watch list......

I would not, I hate selling items too cheaply, don't get me wrong if something is a bit off the pace I think I price accordingly, I did sell 2 Whitemetal kits at the weekend (one made but deconstructed) I think I listed them cheaply and both sold above my opening listing price

Some joker offered me £1.05 for an item I listed at £4.95, I felt like replying I rather throw them away at that price. I politely refused a £6 bid for something I valued at £10

I listed about 11 bits and pieces last week and had about 7 offers, one for £12.50 for something I started at £5 which I accepted, I had looked at what they had been fetching and it was a fair price. There were two other items one which had 3 bids between £6 & £7.50 all declined and it fetched £23.75 another one I started at £5 had an offer of £6 which I refused, then a bid was registered which blew out make an offer and sold for £46. I knew both of these items were not common and unless I had a decent offer I would have not accepted it. Most of the other bits sold for around the value I put on them

Having said this if someone I have become friendly with I tend to knock a bit off

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I just had an irate purchaser to deal with.  Block capitals message "I have had my payment confirmed, why has my item not been posted yet?" literally five minutes after the auction ended on Sunday afternoon and another abrupt block capitals message at half five this morning demanding to know if said item was in the post yet (it was posted first thing Monday morning as advised to the buyer) so I politely responded pointing out it could be a couple of weeks before said item actually arrives due to the Royal Mail practically grinding to a halt.

I await tomorrow's block capital musings with great anticipation.... 

Thing is, it is the aforementioned spares or repair does not work item which he has paid (in my opinion) well over the odds for despite the description clearly stating its condition including my thoughts that it was basically scrap with a few spare parts to be picked off so I can see where this one is going.....

• Friendly/supportive 5

11 hours ago, John M Upton said:

I just had an irate purchaser to deal with.  Block capitals message "I have had my payment confirmed, why has my item not been posted yet?" literally five minutes after the auction ended on Sunday afternoon and another abrupt block capitals message at half five this morning demanding to know if said item was in the post yet (it was posted first thing Monday morning as advised to the buyer) so I politely responded pointing out it could be a couple of weeks before said item actually arrives due to the Royal Mail practically grinding to a halt.

I await tomorrow's block capital musings with great anticipation.... 

Thing is, it is the aforementioned spares or repair does not work item which he has paid (in my opinion) well over the odds for despite the description clearly stating its condition including my thoughts that it was basically scrap with a few spare parts to be picked off so I can see where this one is going.....

Probably regretted the purchase after sobering up. I never chase up sellers, but must admit some are a bit testing, either not showing the item has been posted. taking several days to post an item. Plus at the moment the Royal Mail are a bit slow  (Do they still employ Christmas temps ?) Not having a dig at the posties but higher level management seem less customer focused these days

I understand some do have restricted access to prop off points (now RM pick up !!) but failing to even click sent is the height of laziness and bad manners

I post the next working day 1st class (quite often the same day if possible) after payment, postage is confirmed on eBay and I send a short message confirming postage and thanking the buyer. I accept this all takes time but is just good manners

This is the first time I have heard of this and I may have been tempted to cancel the order and refund the payment. I expect you now will get a raft of complaints, starting with how slowly you reacted to him. Good luck and stand your ground

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Got another message, not in capitals this time so he's calmed down a bit.

Of course the parcel hasn't actually got there yet.....

The post with the Royal Mail is very poor at the moment. I one way I am very pleased that the Royal mail is getting busier, but with an increase in parcel trade they will have to update their operating procedures. 

The delays are quite understandable with Corvid issues and increases to trade with Black Friday and many of us sending presents by post. I do think its a bit of a liberty with them charging for 1st class delivery when they clearly cannot honour the service, surely just offering 1 service could speed up everything

• Agree 1

On 10/12/2020 at 10:24, hayfield said:

I never chase up sellers, but must admit some are a bit testing, either not showing the item has been posted. taking several days to post an item.

Most ebay sellers are pretty prompt at getting things out, but when its known that Royal Mail are struggling to deliver on time its annoying when after promptly paying up, the seller takes their time to post it.  I've just had a notification that an item I purchased 5 days ago has just been posted.

Of course, more worrying are those who say they've sent an item and provide a Royal Mail tracking code, which RM deny all knowledge of...

10 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Most ebay sellers are pretty prompt at getting things out, but when its known that Royal Mail are struggling to deliver on time its annoying when after promptly paying up, the seller takes their time to post it.  I've just had a notification that an item I purchased 5 days ago has just been posted.

Of course, more worrying are those who say they've sent an item and provide a Royal Mail tracking code, which RM deny all knowledge of...

Well your first item I suffered a bit 2 weeks ago, though on checking the post marks most were posted quickly but the Royal Mail was taking 7 days to deliver

As for lost items, the Royal Mail tracking leaves a lot to be desired, it only shows when delivered, unlike its competitors who show its progress. But lets face it the odd item will go astray, nothings perfect. On the whole the Royal Mail offer a superb service, and the posties are outstanding 

1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

I agree about the Royal Mail's tracking, utterly hopeless.  As it only updates you when your item has actually been delivered, it is pretty pointless to be honest.

It does prove the item has been delivered, then if the signature is not legible or just left on the doorstep no guarantee the person actually received it 

I think that the more expensive Special Delivery tracking is more detailed?

Most annoying is when a “Signed For” tracked package is delivered and the post person somehow fails to update the system.

This can result in the tracking still shewing We Have It....while the buyer has left feedback, shewing that it has been delivered! :unknw_mini:

• RMweb Premium

With all the virus hullabaloo going on, none of the post/courier companies including the Royal Mail are obtaining signatures anyway which renders tracking even more pointless.  Your parcel could have been delivered to Lord Lucan and you would not know the difference.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 12/12/2020 at 23:51, John M Upton said:

With all the virus hullabaloo going on, none of the post/courier companies including the Royal Mail are obtaining signatures anyway which renders tracking even more pointless.  Your parcel could have been delivered to Lord Lucan and you would not know the difference.

In the context of eBay sales being delivered, the chances are that if someone receives a delivery and knows it was tracked, they are less likely to claim it wasnt delivered (and risk being copped for fraud) than if there was nothing at all. So it probably has some benefit, given it only costs about a pound more for a small 2nd class parcel.

• Agree 2

27 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

In the context of eBay sales being delivered, the chances are that if someone receives a delivery and knows it was tracked, they are less likely to claim it wasnt delivered (and risk being copped for fraud) than if there was nothing at all. So it probably has some benefit, given it only costs about a pound more for a small 2nd class parcel.

I totally agree with you, it is vitally important to chose the correct service for the item you have sold, if you do you will be protected

Rule 1 don't try and ram an item into a large letter if it needs to go into a small packet.

A small parcel with proof of postage starts from £3.10 2nd £3.70 1st covers you for up to £20

Recording it costs an extra £1 either way but covers you for up to £50

500g Special delivery is £7.50 and covers you for up to £500

Royal Mails compensation system seems to work, simple to use and quite quick and does not rely on getting the recipients signature, if the royal mail are happy to leave it on the door step that's their prerogative

Just stop and think what you are doing, charge the appropriate P&P rate, pack it properly and don't be a cheapskate in the service you use, if you do it will come back and bite you. It has been reported other carriers are extremely difficult to deal with in obtaining any form of compensation from

Hermes sent me an email with a photo saying they have successfully delivered my parcel, the trouble was it was not my house !! I reported it to them and 3+ months later they still have not got back to me. I am more than happy to hear from them, but sadly in my experience they make Ryan Air's customer service look outstanding.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Another one to complain about Royal Mail's Signed-For service at the moment; I ordered a kit off eBay and the seller dutifully sent it signed-for. I got an email notification on a Saturday that it had been delivered and signed for, which was impressive as I was out of the house on a walk at the time! By the time I got home there was no sign of the parcel, and neither of my neighbours had it (or indeed had received any post). The name signing for the item wasn't one known to me, and of course the local Delivery Office was closed until Monday.

Imagine my surprise when the item showed up on Monday when I returned from work, despite having been "delivered and signed for" two days earlier!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1