Ebay annoyances

Butler Henderson

• RMweb Premium

I managed to avoid the dreaded Hermes for a while, and then an eBay seller sent me a Hornby coach last week via Hermes.   Looks like today's promised delivery is another broken promise from Hermes.   The Hermes courier was along my street about 15:30 but did not call at my house.

Screenshot (39).png

Edited by cessna152towser
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

My parcel has now been delivered by a lady whom I had never seen before.  Meantime on our town Facebook page others have been commenting on broken promises of Hermes deliveries this week.   It looks like the previous local courier, who had only been doing Hermes deliveries for a few weeks, walked off the job.  As someone commented "losing drivers faster than they can take them on".

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Another of my pet hates is when eBay states an item has been posted, when in fact all that has happened is the seller has bought a postage label, it hides the fact that the seller may not have actually posted the item for several days. Recorded delivery information from the Royal Mail now shows when the item was accepted into the system so its harder to hide

In Chelmsford we have a second issue with major postal delays, these have been put down to changing the make up of the rounds/ covid/staff shortages. Seems that there is some sort of dispute between the management and staff. The posties are fine still doing their rounds as best as they can, but everyone including the Post Office counters are being very tight lipped over the real reason(s). Outgoing mail seems fine, last week all the recorded items I sent were delivered the next day.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 07/12/2021 at 09:06, hayfield said:

Another of my pet hates is when eBay states an item has been posted, when in fact all that has happened is the seller has bought a postage label, it hides the fact that the seller may not have actually posted the item for several days. 

Their software is full of bugs.  I recently posted an item I sold and it is still coming up as despatch overdue, even though I marked it as despatched when I put it in the pillar box.  I have clicked repeatedly on "mark as despatched" (and the system has even thanked me for doing so) since then all to no avail.  The stats on Items unsold and not relisted are also wrong, as I have relisted them all and they are currently visible as open for bids.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Ebay keep pestering me to add more and more item specifics, the latest one is to specify 'Power Type' on a wagon!!!  It is listed under wagons too so this specific should not be there, and the only options are AC and DC.

Idiots...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
On 11/12/2021 at 14:17, John M Upton said:

Ebay keep pestering me to add more and more item specifics, the latest one is to specify 'Power Type' on a wagon!!!  It is listed under wagons too so this specific should not be there, and the only options are AC and DC.

I expect this is for the Continental people, to let them show when a model is for the Marklin system.

- Richard.

Edited by 47137
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

My own annoyance right now is when eBay use the words "other courier" to describe the delivery service when I buy something.

If this happens to be Hermes(!!) this company will send me multiple emails telling me there was no-one to accept the package and nowhere to leave it either, invariably to cover themselves because their driver of the day could not find my house. Eventually I will get a refund for non-delivery and have to start again ...

- Richard.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Hermes are frankly  inept . I was awaiting a delivery from a purchase on ebay. I received numerous emails telling me the parcel was in a variety of places. 

Then I had an email telling me delivery had been unsuccessfully attempted. 

For convenience, I had opted for a click and collect address. It was a supermarket which was open at the alleged time of the unsuccessful 'delivery'. Rubbish. Having used this address before on a number of occasions with Royal Mail, all without incident and crucially without failure to deliver, I failed to see how Hermes were being anything other than dishonest. 

Rob. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Hermes are frankly  inept . I was awaiting a delivery from a purchase on ebay. I received numerous emails telling me the parcel was in a variety of places. 

For convenience, I had opted for a click and collect address. It was a supermarket which was open at the alleged time of the unsuccessful 'delivery'. Rubbish. Having used this address before on a number of occasions with Royal Mail, all without incident and crucially without failure to deliver, I failed to see how Hermes were being anything other than dishonest. 

Rob. 

Absolutely avoid Hermes at all costs…

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ianmacc said:

Absolutely avoid Hermes at all costs…

I agree entirely but sellers can hide their use of Hermes behind this eBay phrase "other courier", and "other courier" can equally well be DHL or DX or similar who are dependable and professional businesses.

I have a note taped onto my front door telling them where to put my parcel  (politely!) but I know this won't help if they cannot find the house.

- Richard.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I made a successful bid on a loco the other day.   

The seller sent me a snotty email badgering me to pay only three hours later. 

To be fair on eBay this is really an annoying seller not an annoying platform.

I do not do this. If a buyer doesn't pay they get a reminder from eBay after a while.

- Richard.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I made a successful bid on a loco the other day.   

The seller sent me a snotty email badgering me to pay only three hours later. 

eBay encourage sellers to send invoices quickly, I think eBay its self encourages buyers to pay and many buyers want a invoice. However an impolite message is out of order, especially soon after the lot ends

To balance it some sellers do take the mickey in not paying for ages

I like to post them out the next day first class, this is the service I state and charge for. Its more convenient for me to go to the Post Office once, buyers can ease the situation by paying promptly (not instantly)

Edited by hayfield

• RMweb Premium

On the other side of the coin you get the sellers who want their item the next day and start to bitterly complain about where it is before it is even physically possible to post it!

Doesn't help that the Royal Mail seems to have ground to a halt lately. 

2 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

On the other side of the coin you get the sellers who want their item the next day and start to bitterly complain about where it is before it is even physically possible to post it!

Doesn't help that the Royal Mail seems to have ground to a halt lately. 

I think you mean Buyers, and to date I have not suffered this. It depends on what the seller has offered/ stated in their description.

I have seen (suffered from) some sellers buying the postal labels on the day but delay posting for several days.

Many though for good reasons take a few days to wrap up and post items, which is fine. Communication is the key

I message buyers to confirm I have physically posted the item, appreciated by most

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, hayfield said:

I think you mean Buyers, and to date I have not suffered this. It depends on what the seller has offered/ stated in their description.

I have seen (suffered from) some sellers buying the postal labels on the day but delay posting for several days.

Many though for good reasons take a few days to wrap up and post items, which is fine. Communication is the key

I message buyers to confirm I have physically posted the item, appreciated by most

I do it the other way - when I print the label I message the buyer to tell them the parcel is wrapped up and I will be going to the post office tomorrow or the day after or whenever. People seem to appreciate this, as you say communication is the key.

- Richard

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 15/12/2021 at 17:56, NHY 581 said:

Rob. 

My parcel arrived silently this evening.

Out of curiosity I found the CCTV footage of the delivery. The courier went to my neighbour's house and rapidly retreated. A minute or so later emerged into view as though they had phoned the office. Walked to my house and stared at the front door as though it was perhaps an alien spacecraft. Read my notice describing my safe place and duly put the parcel in it.

It was pretty clear to me, the courier was told where the house was while they stood ten yards in front of it but still they could not find it. The message from Hermes two days ago claiming they could not deliver "because I was out" (I was in all of the day) seems rather distant from the honesty I would expect from a courier indeed anyone.

- Richard.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

OK praise where it is due.  I bought a second hand loco on eBay on Tuesday.   Marked as posted yesterday.   Arrived by Hermes early this morning (Thursday).   It seems a local courier business with a depot in a neighbouring town has taken over the Hermes local distribution after various private individuals each gave up on Hermes after just a few weeks.   Unfortunately, despite the loco being described as in good runner, it isn't but that's another story.

Edited by cessna152towser

A friend sent me a  chassis on Monday 2nd class and I won something on eBay Monday night which was sent on Tuesday 1st class both arrived this morning despite the Royal Mail having issues with parcel delivery lately. I was very surprised to see them this morning 

• Like 1