Ebay annoyances

Butler Henderson

I model N gauge so my searches always start N gauge, N scale or similar. After looking at several items in my chosen category, invariably an OO, HO or other scale crops up. Similarly after making a purchase 'other people who bought xxxxxx also bought these items' comes up and it's always chock full of other scales, often with no N gauge items at all in there.

Ebay really do need to change their search criteria.

• RMweb Premium

Not sure if anyone else is having this, but getting a message when trying to pay 'there is an error at our end' Paypal is working and say it is a known problem at Ebay. Ebay in turn say yes its a bug and will be 3 to 4 weeks before being fixed. Yet talking to people I'm trying to buy from some are getting payments. Ebay of course will not post anything and denied it to a seller who asked.  Really don't know what to think

• RMweb Gold

My problem there is the EDITION may vary.  If a book has info added in the 3rd edition I need, Im not going to buy the 2nd!

If the edition has changed, the ISBN should also change - and as those automated things on eBay are (I think) driven by the ISBN, it should show the right cover for the edition they're selling...

• RMweb Premium

The book dealers generally use the automated details but these aren't always accurate. "Stock photos" can certainly be misleading, I was recently looking at a book where at least two dealers were using the same photo of a used book with a stain on the cover. Comparison with Amazon listings will often identify different editions/printings. The ISBN won't help if the seller hasn't listed it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Ive just had some person make a single digit value best offer on a half dozen of my locos.

why would i consider selling various Bachman / Hornby steam locos, working, in good -excellant condition in their boxes for less than a tenner ?

I declined the bids on each, so he raised the price from £4 to £5.

Ive no time for that, Hes on my blocked bidder list now, and in this instance i shared that with him to.

With feedback of over 300 you’d think he would have some sense, or are there really people out there who will sell Black5’s jubs etc at £4 ?

Edited by adb968008

Ive just had some person make a single digit value best offer on a half dozen of my locos.

why would i consider selling various Bachman / Hornby steam locos, working, in good -excellant condition in their boxes for less than a tenner ?

I declined the bids on each, so he raised the price from £4 to £5.

Ive no time for that, Hes on my blocked bidder list now, and in this instance i shared that with him to.

With feedback of over 300 you’d think he would have some sense, or are there really people out there who will sell Black5’s jubs etc at £4 ?

If you want to use the Best Offer option at all, Id recommend setting a lower limit, below which theyll instantly be denied.  Though obviously make it sensible.  No sense setting the offer £5 below an item selling for £200.  But at least itll stop people throwing out a ridiculous offer and wasting your time. 

• RMweb Premium

If you want to use the Best Offer option at all, Id recommend setting a lower limit, below which theyll instantly be denied. Though obviously make it sensible. No sense setting the offer £5 below an item selling for £200. But at least itll stop people throwing out a ridiculous offer and wasting your time.

I have come across sellers who set a minimum automatic rejection offer, what gets me is when you then submit a offer that is above the lower limit and the seller then rejects it or counter offers at a coupe of quid off the asking price.

Clearly have a minimum they will accept, so why not set it to that!!

• RMweb Gold

My approach to offers is to set the price in the top 1/3rd of sold prices, than accept a BIN price around the median sold price, depending on its condition (box, bits, paint job etc), if its excellant i may hold out, if not i’ll go for less.

If after a week or two its still hanging around, i will knock something off, especially if its a £1 sale fee from ebay.

At the end of the day I want it to sell, i’m not in this to make money, its about freeing cash to buy new.

When it comes to buying, it entirely depends what it is, if its something i really must have, i may not mess about and just buy it, if i’m tyre kicking i may offer a % less and see if it sticks. I naturally find BIN offers get more acceptence at first listing, if its closer to ask, and more willing to discount close to the end.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

eBay annoyance from me. Somehow someone has hacked my account. The email address and phone number to recover it are not mine. I type in my email and it apparently doesn’t exist. Which I can’t work out how they have managed to do it. As I only use my eBay on my phone and only through the app. I’ve emailed eBay and explained the situation about 3 days ago. Nothing from eBay and the silence is deafening from them. I don’t want to have to open another eBay account and lose all my feedback so right now I don’t know what to do.

Big James

• RMweb Premium

My annoyance, these auto bidders

or whatever they're called.

I was bidding on an item,

I'd been outbid a couple of times,

but had a winning bid for about 3 days.

I was watching the item as the time

came to an end, and yes you guessed,

with 5 sec to go, a higher bid was made.

No time to put in another bid.

I'm assuming it was an autobidder,

unless someone was very quick

at the last minute.

• RMweb Premium

I have come across sellers who set a minimum automatic rejection offer, what gets me is when you then submit a offer that is above the lower limit and the seller then rejects it or counter offers at a coupe of quid off the asking price.

Clearly have a minimum they will accept, so why not set it to that!!

If I have an item for £200 and you offer £80 I don’t want to do business with you. If you offer £120 I’ll counter to a number more in keeping what what I want, say £180. Many buyers will then go to £160, which I may accept. This doesn’t mean I want to reject everything below £160 automatically, not least because you don’t get notification of a declined offer, so someone offering £159 would fly totally under the radar.

It’s also a moveable feast, people who offer 20 minutes into a listing get declined, whilst something that’s been live for 3 weeks I’m much more likely to accept offers.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

My annoyance, these auto bidders

or whatever they're called.

I was bidding on an item,

I'd been outbid a couple of times,

but had a winning bid for about 3 days.

I was watching the item as the time

came to an end, and yes you guessed,

with 5 sec to go, a higher bid was made.

No time to put in another bid.

I'm assuming it was an autobidder,

unless someone was very quick

at the last minute.

I almost always bid within the last few seconds - best way of getting something. Sometimes I use an auto-bidder but as you don't get nectar points or cashback using that method I do it "live" wherever possible.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, as done to death bidding early is just daft - you’re just showing your hand. Bid in the last 5 seconds for maximum chance of winning. I use Auction Sniper and it’s very good.

Dont know it has its purposes.

Sometimes I want something, but not that badly.

I’ll throw in a bid early on that sets the price at just higher than a bargain level.

If someone out bids me by £1, ok.

But at least I didn’t miss on a bargain and he didn’t get a bargain either, despite trying to snipe me.

I get to keep my money in my pocket, and next time the model comes round, there’s 1 less interested bidder, with a few pounds less in his pocket.

Works well, especially when there’s more than 1 for sale ending the same night.

Edited by adb968008

• 1 month later...

Delivery delays.  Recently I've made a couple of purchases where the delivery date is quoted about  a couple of weeks after payment received.  At one time  better sellers posted items the day following or soon after with notification of shipping.  I sent a payment to one individual late December and still not received an acknowledgement  by website or E mail.  It is scheduled for delivery in the whole month of January.  Surely it is better for the  buyer, seller and E bay to have prompt acknowledgement. 

Brian.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Nobody's fault but my own but:

Three times recently I've bid for pairs of items,

from the same seller, hoping to save a bit on

combined postage.

On each occasion, I've won one item and been

outbid on the other at the last minute!

Serves me right I suppose for penny pinching.

Edited by rab

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Latest one from me:

Network connection lost five minutes

before item I'm bidding on, ends.

Not ebay's fault (necessarily)

but still annoying 

• RMweb Gold

My laptop has an annoying habit of the wifi failing at random intervals. I've taken to doing a restart a couple of minutes before an item I really want to bid on ends to reduce the risk. For really really important items I do use an auction sniper, but you don't get your nectar points when using that.

My old computer sometimes took ages to reload and sometimes my iPhone needs turning on and off as there seems to be a problem reloading when I go from one item to another, think it may be something with advertising or similar items being loaded

My latest desk top is a bit more powerful and does not suffer from this. If there is something I am extremely interested in I double up, phone and computer. In the end if someone wants to snipe at a price higher than I want to pay, then good luck to them

• RMweb Premium

Adblocker software helps get rid of a lot of the advertising guff that eBay and other sites insist on bloating their websites with, sometimes to the point where the actual content of said website is all but unreadable.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have not used Ebay to sell for a number of years, although previous to that I had sold many items without much hassle.  Last week I listed three items, a Hornby DMU, Two Pendolino Coaches and a Scotrail Class 47 and they sold for around what I expected.  Once the audtion was over, I parceled the items up ready for sending but on the Ebay site they were still showing "Wait for payment" so I waited a couple of days, same status.  I then opened the listing to check i there was any more detail and on each case the item was shown as "Payment was initiated on 10 Mar, 2019 and is being processed through PayPal."   I then checked on Paypal and my balance was still zero so I sent a question to Paypal.  The response was that as I had not been selling for some time my payments are sent into a "pending account" and will be released seven days after I select "item dispatched" on Ebay, however there is no method of viewing this "pending account" and no obvious explanation of this process.  I contacted each of the buyers to explain the delay and all confirmed that they had made payment, what a totally stupid setup!

If any of the buyers are on this forum, apologies once again, the items are now on their way to you.

Jim

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

I have not used Ebay to sell for a number of years, although previous to that I had sold many items without much hassle.  Last week I listed three items, a Hornby DMU, Two Pendolino Coaches and a Scotrail Class 47 and they sold for around what I expected.  Once the audtion was over, I parceled the items up ready for sending but on the Ebay site they were still showing "Wait for payment" so I waited a couple of days, same status.  I then opened the listing to check i there was any more detail and on each case the item was shown as "Payment was initiated on 10 Mar, 2019 and is being processed through PayPal."   I then checked on Paypal and my balance was still zero so I sent a question to Paypal.  The response was that as I had not been selling for some time my payments are sent into a "pending account" and will be released seven days after I select "item dispatched" on Ebay, however there is no method of viewing this "pending account" and no obvious explanation of this process.  I contacted each of the buyers to explain the delay and all confirmed that they had made payment, what a totally stupid setup!

If any of the buyers are on this forum, apologies once again, the items are now on their way to you.

Jim

That is quite strange.  Ebay always tells you NOT to post until you have payment.  

Ive had a situation before where someone paid for an item with a CC through paypal rather than paypal directly so it took a few days to clear before I could post, but this issue isnt the same as yours.