Ebay annoyances

Butler Henderson

14 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

Does it also depend on the weight / size of the items, I keep on combining postage without working out what it will actually cost meaning I'm making a loss on postage before Ebay and Paypal take their fees.?

If sent by Royal Mail Second Class Signed For Small Parcel, up to 2Kg can be sent for £4.10.

To offset fees, etc., I usually add £1.00, so £5.10.

Small Parcel is quite a large box in size, see the Royal Mail size guide...

The sad part is that a single wagon will also cost £4.10....so I have to charge £5.10...in fact most things bigger than a single DVD are Small Parcels....

First Class is different.....The charge varies with the weight...but the sizes are the same...

Edited by Sarahagain
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

One of my annoyances are sellers who cannot be bothered to send out items promptly. I am not talking about those sellers who clearly state there may be a delay due to their personal circumstances, this gives a warning for delayed delivery. Just those who expect to be paid promptly but fail to reciprocate posting it in a timely manner.  A complete lack of respect to the buyer

Probably a sign of the times, where folk feel no sense of duty and or respect to others  

Rant over

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, hayfield said:

Rant over

Speak for yourself- I'm just getting going!

What I cant decide is whether the world is genuinely getting worse or if us old farts just instinctively think that.

The former seems entirely plausible but history suggests society does naturally evolve.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 27/08/2020 at 18:29, rab said:

My eBay annoyance is of a slightly different type.

Del Prado: Why did it have to be N gauge?

The number of times I do a search for N gauge

and amongst it are Del Prado items.

This week there were about a dozen listed.

OK I suppose for collectors, but totally irrelevant

for anyone looking for working models.

Ok, own up, who read my original post and decided to wind me up big time by adding 100 separate Del Prado listings in one day!!!!!

Grrrrrrr

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Sarahagain said:

Of course....you would have to take that at face value.... ;)

My post wasnt very well worded  I had two poeple making offers, I accepted one and the other then said they would have gone higher. Still, cant be greedy.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, hayfield said:

...have to get your wallet out !!

True!

Talking of which, have PayPal hiked their fees? A couple of sales recently have had more deducted than I was expecting and usually my quick mental estimate is pretty close.

Edited by Hal Nail

23 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

...being e mailed after you've accepted an offer by someone saying they were about to pay full price.

Grrrr.

Yup, that's not good, but what has annoyed me this past weekend is listing items for auction at a very reasonable starting price and then getting offers at 50% less than the start price  just a few hours after the listing goes live.

• Friendly/supportive 1

41 minutes ago, steve W said:

Yup, that's not good, but what has annoyed me this past weekend is listing items for auction at a very reasonable starting price and then getting offers at 50% less than the start price  just a few hours after the listing goes live.

Just use the auto refuse facility, in this day and age I guess everyone is after a bit of a discount, which is fair if you are asking top bucks for it. Otherwise just disable the make me an offer facility

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, hayfield said:

Just use the auto refuse facility, in this day and age I guess everyone is after a bit of a discount, which is fair if you are asking top bucks for it. Otherwise just disable the make me an offer facility

I got a terse e mail from someone once saying "instead of wasting each others time, why dont you just tell me the minimum you will accept".

Seemed a bit odd until i discovered they had already had their max three offers auto-rejected! I think that was more satisfying than actually selling it.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, hayfield said:

Yes, that's what I did. 

• Like 2

On 24/07/2020 at 08:45, 47137 said:

But from time to time, a buyer doesn't pay and the eBay system gives me a button to send an invoice. I am asked to give the buyer detailed instructions on how to pay. Please can someone tell me, why might buyers choose to do this? What is the benefit in not paying straight way? And above all, what instructions for payment might they expect to see on the invoice?

Please excuse me asking this but it seems extraordinarily bad manners for a buyer to win an auction and then apparently do nothing.

It may be that:

If the sale ends in the middle of the night.

If the sale ends while I'm out and I get back late.

If I want to buy another item from the seller that ends the day after.

There's plenty of reasons and it's likely the person buying isn't using any of them though.  But there are some excuses there as to why people don't always pay straight away.

I sent an invoice once (the one where ebay pre-fills in the "I really want to post..." bit) and someone replied thinking I wrote it and paid straight away.

(I understand this was from a few months ago.)

Edited by Sir TophamHatt

• RMweb Gold
On 30/09/2020 at 22:36, Sarahagain said:

There is another problem related to combining postage and packing charges.

In some cases, if you go through the “Request Total” thing on eBay, you get a message along the lines of “the seller has disallowed combined postage”.

I have found that in most cases, the seller is totally unaware that this is a default eBay setting...and that it seems that you have to actually activate combined postage as an option!

Once again...as eBay and PayPal take their cut of the postage and packing charge, it would be in their interest for the p&p to be as high as possible! 

The work around is to message the seller about combined invoices...but in some cases this doesn’t work out, especially with buy it now items...

I've contacted a couple of sellers recently in that situation, and they've happily combined postage.

• Like 1

On 30/09/2020 at 21:10, Colin_McLeod said:

Seller is not obliged to give reduction for combined postage. If the total postage of £3 + £3 = £6 has not increased then seller has not done anything wrong.

But they did.
They made one item free postage but doubled the other item.

There would be no reason to do that unless you wanted to deceive as the default settings would have shown each one at £3 each.  The seller has purposefully changed it.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 19/10/2020 at 09:41, Hal Nail said:

True!

Talking of which, have PayPal hiked their fees? A couple of sales recently have had more deducted than I was expecting and usually my quick mental estimate is pretty close.

IIRC Paypal is now 2.9% + 30p per transaction, and if the buyer is overseas you pay part of the currency conversion too (it certainly costs more)

• Thanks 1

Current annoyance/bemusement is with a seller's behaviour.  They had two items that I wanted and won. I only spotted the second just before the auction ended so I didn't have time to ask before about combined postage.  After I won the second auction I asked for a combined total but received no reply; it would have been nice to at least have something saying, "Sorry, I can't do that".

I use the click and collect at Argos, because it's reasonably convenient to collect my parcels when I do my shopping. I got five notifications for the first parcel on Monday which I took to mean that both parcels had arrived.  In fact only one had, and the second one arrived at Argos today.  At least in charging me two lots of postage I've had two lots of postage, even if I can't understand why.

• Friendly/supportive 3

On 15/09/2020 at 11:49, Sarahagain said:

I've just checked...

In the email notification of the sale, the code does not appear, and that address says "confirmed"....

So, I think we may either leave the code off, or, just in case, put it in brackets after the buyers name?

Oh well.....

Now I know...

It's another eBay tracking thing...

It's only really revelant if you purchase shipping labels, as that system takes the code out of the address and converts it into a tracking bar code...

If you just use the post office normally, you should remove the code, as it does not do anything then..

Postage Stamps

If you use postage stamps and handwrite your label, there is no requirement for you to include the unique eBay code in the address as there is no 2D barcode and therefore, no means to provide tracking and event data. The unique eBay code should be removed from address line 2.

Click & Drop

Click & Drop linked to eBay account

If you use Click & Drop, the system will automatically remove the unique eBay code from address line 2, you don’t need to do anything.

Click & Drop CSV Upload

We recommend that you link your Royal Mail Click & Drop account to your eBay account so the unique eBay code is automatically moved.

Alternatively, if you import your orders via a CSV file, you will need to remove the unique eBay code from address line 2 and paste it into Order Reference Field before generating your labels.

Click & Drop manual entry of address

If you log into Click and Drop and manually enter your orders into the system, you will need to remove the unique eBay code from address line 2 and paste it into Order Reference Field before generating your labels.

Obviously, the message about Not Needing To Include The EBay Reference in hand written or cut and pasted printed address labels is NOT getting through!

We have recently received packages with this reference either in the address, where it can confuse the Royal Mail computerised systems, or written to the side of the address, where it does nothing but indicate to anyone that the contents are an eBay purchase...

It seems that some packages are being returned to sender, as the eBay reference is taken as part of the address, and the RM computer says Not Recognised...

A total upcock situation, all thanks to some whizzkids at eBay!

:mad:

On 19/10/2020 at 16:54, hayfield said:

I have a builder friend who will always quote for every job offered, those he does not want gets a quote he cannot afford to turn down. Either quote a silly figure or reply with make me your best offer and call his bluff

That usually works John. However one day at work we put in a very silly quote for a very large job and it was accepted. Frantic efforts followed to obtain several 100 tons of steel and to find enough labour to lay on a night shift for a few weeks. The mark up was so huge that it still paid off, but it is possible to get your fingers burnt with such a policy. 

I have seen some very odd buy it now prices of late on a particular item and have managed to obtain the two that I wanted for around a third of what these people are asking. One buy it now item was listed at a sensible price and went the same day.

Bernard

1 hour ago, Bernard Lamb said:

That usually works John. However one day at work we put in a very silly quote for a very large job and it was accepted. Frantic efforts followed to obtain several 100 tons of steel and to find enough labour to lay on a night shift for a few weeks. The mark up was so huge that it still paid off, but it is possible to get your fingers burnt with such a policy. 

I have seen some very odd buy it now prices of late on a particular item and have managed to obtain the two that I wanted for around a third of what these people are asking. One buy it now item was listed at a sensible price and went the same day.

Bernard

That's why they use buy it now rather than suffer either a a rafe of low bids or suffer no interest at all

• RMweb Gold

I've got a classic car listed on eBay at the moment - just recieved a message that consisted of "buy it now price".

Now, if they can't be bothered to write a proper sentence, use polite language, or even add a question mark, why on earth should I take the effort to reply?

Edited by Nick C
  • Agree 3