Class A4 4-6-2 in O Gauge from Hatton's

Hattons Dave

....and the fact that the pic in post 12 is taken from a slightly lower vantage point than the latest 3-D images - makes a big difference with those curves!

Ok, that’s easy then.

The pic in post 6 ( 2nd revision) matches very closely the profile of the real loco in posts10 and 12. All we need is a photo of the latest rendition from exactly the same camera angle and then it will be beyond doubt.

Bob

• RMweb Gold

I'm hoping the lads better at computer than me will look at layering photos again?

Still looks narrow to me........

Ask and ye shall receive.

post-28458-0-36394500-1512575462_thumb.jpg

This shows the approved CAD file layered over the nose-on view of No. 4464

As you can see, the taper to the front now matches up well and correlates to all the dimensions we have from the 3 locomotives we have measured.

Some elements do not quite line up in the image, this is down to the perspective of the image vs. CAD.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 9

As I've said, I think it's a vast improvement, and the comments have been taken on board. Certainly from the information available, the register points that I have been able to ascertain are within a whisker.

I’m grateful that Hattons are listening to their potential customers, but I really can’t tell from the latest layered image if they’ve nailed it. What does seem to be apparent is the width across the footplate is too big, or if you match that then the boiler is too narrow. I shall commit finally when I see a finished production model.

I really want one but it must be right.

Bob

It looks pretty spot on to my eye. After all the scaning and feedback. Hattons have done a good job.

Of course if people still think it is not right then they are free to kit build one, say from the finney kit or to scratch build one to ensure their model has the absolute fidelity that they are looking for. I am sure hattons would love to see these as examples of what they are hoping to achieve with their r-t-r model.

Richard

It looks pretty spot on to my eye. After all the scaning and feedback. Hattons have done a good job.

Of course if people still think it is not right then they are free to kit build one, say from the finney kit or to scratch build one to ensure their model has the absolute fidelity that they are looking for. I am sure hattons would love to see these as examples of what they are hoping to achieve with their r-t-r model.

Richard

Richard,

I think if I’m shelling out £750 for an RTR model in moulded plastic I am not being unreasonable in expecting an accurate representation of the prototype. If my budget was unlimited then there are several brass RTR options. And yes I probably could build a kit but the whole point of RTR is to avoid a protracted building period and a possibility less than perfect result. We are not all masters of the soldering iron. As I’m now into “injury time” from a life expectancy POV I would just like to settle for an accurate model of an iconic locomotive I had the privilege to watch in regular service.

Bob

Richard,

I think if I’m shelling out £750 for an RTR model in moulded plastic I am not being unreasonable in expecting an accurate representation of the prototype. If my budget was unlimited then there are several brass RTR options. And yes I probably could build a kit but the whole point of RTR is to avoid a protracted building period and a possibility less than perfect result. We are not all masters of the soldering iron. As I’m now into “injury time” from a life expectancy POV I would just like to settle for an accurate model of an iconic locomotive I had the privilege to watch in regular service.

Bob

Lol I’m very sure there will be plenty of “extra time” with which to play with the new A4. Having said that if Bachmann were knocking this one out I doubt I would even see it and I’m 50!

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone got any suggestions for a DCC sound chip (assume lok sound XL is favourite) and maybe more importantly a sound file and speaker combo. Not sure if Paul Chetter has done an A4. Really excited about both A3 and A4.

I understand that someone calling himself Mr Soundguy is progressing an A4 

Keep an eye on RMW DCC sound group threads for updates

PS a couple of years back I fitted a Howes A4 sound chip to a Finney O Gauge A4 which had an ABC Motor and gearbox the smaller non XL sound chip worked fine due to the low draw of the current by the motor/gearbox combo. Going on the motors fitted to Heljan diesels only a XL chip would be suitable

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Our Class A3 and A4 in O gauge are a pair of complex projects - each locomotive having many details which are fairly unique to the class.  This has presented us with several challenges during the CAD development stages and meant it has taken slightly longer than planned to get to the tooling stage.  Both models are now in the tool room, metal is being cut and shaped and in the process of being completed.  On such complex and large models this will take a while and we have outlined some updated dates for the project.

1st Samples - Mid March 2018

2nd Samples - Early July 2018

Decorated samples - Early August 2018

Production Samples - Mid September 2018

Delivery - Mid February 2019

Following comments made about other O gauge items with gear problems, we have discussed the use of differing materials for the main drive gears

The material choice will affect multiple factors and the best decision will be made by testing different solutions.  The motor has been designed to have less stress on the gears due to its orientation in the drive train. We will also be testing different materials for the gears - both delrin and brass.  Both have pros and cons but we will be open with our results and let you see which was chosen and the metrics we have used to test them.

If you have any questions or comments then please, either post them here, or contact us on info@hattons.co.uk and we will be happy to hear them.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

On such complex and large models this will take a while and we have outlined some updated dates for the project. [/size]

Dave,

These really are wonderful, both the A3 and A4, and you/Hattons really should be congratulated and feel a great pride for being so open with the community to get what I personally view as an amazing model. Well done. As for timescales slipping, well they always do, but getting it right is the main thing. I hope the current pre-orders are in line with expectations? Is it your feeling that Hatton will build on the success off the this model with more 7mm steam? If so, may I suggest a ‘Black 5’ as being a good option with wide appeal?

Rich

EDIT: Spelling mistake!

Edited by MarshLane

A Black 5????????? Like there aren't already about ten different ones to choose from? LOL

No, come on, if we are looking at 7mm steam, it wants to be an A2/3 and an A1.........maybe even an A1/1?

A Black 5????????? Like there aren't already about ten different ones to choose from? LOL

Now then, lets see - well there's mmm, well there was a Bachmann Brass offering at one time, then there is - mmm - is or was there a RTR DJH?  And then - well - maybe some other high-end brass offerings? But affordable Black 5s ?????

Always happy to be enlightened.

:jester:

Edited by Osgood

• RMweb Gold

No, come on, if we are looking at 7mm steam, it wants to be an A2/3 and an A1.........maybe even an A1/1?

Hi Jeff - yes I'd agree totally on either of those, preferably an A1 (although I could be biased as I already have an A2!) but was more thinking of a wide ranging prototype that would sell, appeal to people, and also given the detail that Hattons have gone into with the A3s and A4s, allow different versions to be produced. I'll openly admit im not a kit-builder, tried it and just didn't get there (although I will try again!) but a Black 5 has the potential to be a big seller for a RTR manufacture.   Apologies to all however, I hadn't intended this to be a wish list of any form!

Now then, lets see - well there's mmm, well there was a Bachmann Brass offering at one time, then there is - mmm - is or was there a RTR DJH?  And then - well - maybe some other high-end brass offerings? But affordable Black 5s ?????

Always happy to be enlightened.

:jester:

Me too :) 

Rich

Reluctantly agreeing somewhat, although I'd LOVE to see another pair of prototypes that have appeared nowhere else?

Anyway, back on topic........afore we are told to be, LOL

• Like 1

• 2 months later...