Class A4 4-6-2 in O Gauge from Hatton's

Hattons Dave

No A4's on my layout, but the stereo speaker sounds interesting.

Im not 100% sold on it. The chime whistle for a start is not sufficiently authentic to my ears, sounds like it all alone stuck in a cupboard somewhere. Plus anyone who has stood next to an A4 preparing to depart who could ignore the harsh sound emanating from the Kylchap double chimney...... hardly noticeable here. Clanking of the rods when coasting not right either

After the Q6 had high hopes for this but............

Edited by Silverstreak

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Following on from the Class A3 in May, we have now taken delivery of the first EP for the Class A4. The prototype clearly showcases the body shape and an impression of how the detailing will look.

This is an early hand-built sample, so please ignore any damage that will be rectified in later samples.

This sample is not necessarily indicative of any particular version and is intended to test a variety of elements within the tooling.

There are still some amendments to be made to the model before further samples are received but we're happy with the progress of the A4 thus far.

Take a look at the pictures below and feel free to let us know what you think.

post-28458-0-88174500-1530604726_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-61694600-1530604730_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-61326100-1530604734_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-27132900-1530604738_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-43062000-1530604743_thumb.jpg

All versions are still available to order on THIS page of our website.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 2

All comments intended to be constructive and helpful!

The front of the tender should match the cab roof outline - it looks to be lower at present

The valve gear is still set incorrectly, as for slide valve locks, instead of the correct piston valve.

The valve gear (expansion link, anchor link and combination link) appear to be extremely weedy two-dimensional stampings, and rather let down the rest of the loco. The expansion link in particular should be a very three-dimensional object, even if it is modelled in 'mid gear'.

I can’t wait, I’ve got two A3s and an A4 pre-ordered. I wouldn’t be surprised if I add more. It’s just too hard to narrow down the options. I do think the choices of the specific locos is odd to say the least with all those preserved examples. I much rather have more of the humbler numbers and names long sadly scrapped to pick from. Who the hell would choose a preserved loco?

• Like 1

All comments intended to be constructive and helpful!

The front of the tender should match the cab roof outline - it looks to be lower at present

The valve gear is still set incorrectly, as for slide valve locks, instead of the correct piston valve.

The valve gear (expansion link, anchor link and combination link) appear to be extremely weedy two-dimensional stampings, and rather let down the rest of the loco. The expansion link in particular should be a very three-dimensional object, even if it is modelled in 'mid gear'.

I agree with all of the points raised by Giles but the Loco and tender body shape looks pretty good to my eye

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Thanks for the points raised so far.

We have previously raised the issues with the valve gear as part of the checking process on the A3 so work should already be underway to rectify that.

I will also double check the tender vs. cab roof height and note any changes that need to be made.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by Hatton's Dave
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just comparing the image in post #1 with the first one above, what on earth has happened to that handrail?

The handrails on an A4 curve up at the front, run straight along the boiler, then dip over two handrail knobs at the rear, (one on 60014 Silver Link).

The first image above shows the handrails having acquired a truly awful "S" shape.

Just comparing the image in post #1 with the first one above, what on earth has happened to that handrail?

The handrails on an A4 curve up at the front, run straight along the boiler, then dip over two handrail knobs at the rear, (one on 60014 Silver Link).

The first image above shows the handrails having acquired a truly awful "S" shape.

Hi Jeff

I thought the same as you but if you look closely you can see that the 3rd and 4th hand rail knobs are actually broke from the sample.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Firstly I think the loco looks fabulous. I am not as clued up as many on the details but the over all appearance seems to capture the loco really well.

Secondly I have just been reading about sure sound for the class 66. Is there going to be a suresound for the a3 and a4?

Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

This is a question for 'Hattons Dave' , What are the possibilities of the A4 and A3 been released without names and numbers applied thus allowing them to be detailed by the purchaser. I'm sure more locos would sell if available this way.

Perhaps been allowed to purchase different loco/tender combinations also would increase sales.

Thanks

Ian   

• Like 3

I’ve ordered Dwight D Eisenhower but I would have much preferred an unnamed unnumbered version. I hope they do a “blank” and would probably have ordered two if they did/do. The same comment goes for the A3, surely an easy one to sort out for the hattons chaps. Let’s face it these models are a bit like Airfix Spitfires they will sell and continue to sell.

Heartily agree. I really fancy one, but not one of the names/numbers appeals in the livery I'd like.

And seeing as they are doing one of Silver Link in it's original livery, (a natural choice), I hope they are aware of the deatil differences, such as cab/tender handrails and the almost straight boiler side handrail at the rear. It curves down towards the cab over two handrail knobs on all the others, but only over one on Silver Link.

I'd really have liked 60014 in the late BR livery, circa 1960.

Was at Telford yesterday for Guildex 0 gauge show where I met Hattons Dave on their stand. They had pre-production models of both A3 and A4 on show and I was well impressed by them. Had a really good chat with Dave who was very helpful and full of enthusiasm for the models and when asked about availability I was quoted early 2019, of course all this is providing Heljan get their fingers out!

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

A lot of the feedback for our O gauge A3 & A4 project was that people would like us to release unnumbered models, so we have decided to produce unnumbered versions.  We have tried to cover as many variations as possible to help recreate the locomotive you require

All are available to preorder now and should all be released at the same time as the numbered models. Quantities are limited and pre-ordering is advised.

If you are looking for transfers to number-up your locos, we sell suitable Modelmaster transfers.

post-28458-0-33981000-1544547217_thumb.jpg

All unnumbered versions are available to order on THIS page of our website.

post-28458-0-86767200-1544547206_thumb.jpgpost-28458-0-30079400-1544547211_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

This is great news, how hard is it to swap the single chimney to a double one as I’m looking at getting one with the streamlined tender in BR green.

Thanks in advance

Jamie (Scarborough)

Another the same: why no streamlined corridor tender and double chimney in BR Green?

H7-A4-007A and H7-A4-007B will also be supplied with a double chimney in the box for customers to fit if suitable for their chosen locomotive.

It will be a relatively simple job to do but care will need to be taken when removing the pre-fitted chimney.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hattons have posted an updated on their website (https://www.hattons.co.uk/NewsDetail.aspx?id=149#projdev) in relation to the A3s, which also includes a timescale update for the A4s.  The A3s will arrive first in May this year, with the A4s following in June/July - coaches are now July/August.