Class A4 4-6-2 in O Gauge from Hatton's

Hattons Dave

Hi there, sorry to 'interlope', but touched on something I have addressed a little on my Hornby A3's and A4's.

I found the Hornby 'look' excessive - it seems to relate to the front-most axle mount on the tender. I've Dremeled a couple of mine down a bit - still a little high, and fully understand the comment above, but I'm happier with the look - runs OK so nothing spoilt.

Al.

• 2 weeks later...

I am confused: I would like to (pre-) order the Mallardversion I know from the NRM. However the picture with H7-A4-002 'Record breaker'  with no plaque, but the H7-A4-003 version has a picture with the plaque.  Mailcontact with Hattons helpdesk was even more confusing.

Perhaps Dave can tell me?

Guillaume (Smalspoorcompagnie)image.png.7396648a50e8b8c00631bad911df473a.png

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, smalspoorcompagnie said:

I am confused: I would like to (pre-) order the Mallardversion I know from the NRM. However the picture with H7-A4-002 'Record breaker'  with no plaque, but the H7-A4-003 version has a picture with the plaque.  Mailcontact with Hattons helpdesk was even more confusing.

Perhaps Dave can tell me?

Guillaume (Smalspoorcompagnie)

Hi Guillaume,  the two variations of Mallard are described below:

H7-A4-002 - This release will portray Mallard in the condition it attained its world record on the 3rd July 1938

H7-A4-003 - This release will portray Mallard as it is currently preserved at the National Railway Museum in York with the plaque celebrating its world record.

Sorry about the confusion - if you can contact me off forum I'd be happy to have a look into why you didn't get a full reply from our helpdesk team.

Cheers

Dave

Thank you for the quick reply - I know what to order now. I assumed 'recorbreaker' was pást time (hád broken the record) so that should have the plaque. H7-A4-003 for me then!

Guillaume

PS I seem to be unable to PM you, but there is no problem with your helpdesk, just some misunderstanding.

Edited by smalspoorcompagnie
Private Message could not be sent

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I wish they'd done Silver Fox as 60017.

Then we might have got some decent 3-d foxes.

I've been trying to get various laser scan/ 3-d print manufacturers interested but so far, despite positive noises, nothing.

The only  decent ones I've seen were on a Golden Age model, but they declined to sell me a pair. Now where are they?

• Agree 1

A question for Hattons, 

Will the A4's fitted with the Streamlined Corridor tender have the cover which went over the water filler cap? 

Also with Silver A4's I keep seeing the forward Oil point cover on BR & LNER versions. I just like to know will that be absent from the LNER1935-38 versions as I understand they were not on the loco at the time? 

(Photo attached by DJH Models)

91.jpg

Edited by Norton Wood

• RMweb Premium
On 16/06/2019 at 12:59, Adrian Stevenson said:

Some of the new A4 body shells on display on Hattons stand at GCR yesterday.

20190615_103234[1].jpg

Don't know if I've missed this being raised elsewhere but the lining round the nose area seems very wide?

31 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Don't know if I've missed this being raised elsewhere but the lining round the nose area seems very wide?

Now you come to mention is it does rather, could be the angle of the photo. 

Funny that Hattons haven't put the painted samples of the Teaks or A4's shown at the GCR show on their website or news sections?

Hi all and in particular Hatton's Dave,

I've just come across Hatton's advert in my O gauge Guild  'Gazette' and noticed the list of A4's that will be available.  Could I point out a couple of errors I've found.

HA-A4-001 2509 'SILVER LINK' IN LNER SILVER

HA-A4-007 60012 'COMMONWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA IN BR GREEN EARLY CREST

Both locos should be fitted with STREAMLINED CORRIDOR TENDERS and NOT UNSTREAMLINED CORRIDOR TENDERS.

Whilst in silver 2509 did have a change of its tender (5590) it was for one off its sister engine 2510 QUICKSILVER  with the same type (5589) .

60012 ran its whole life with the same tender (5646)

HA-A4-008 60009 UNIION OF SOUTH AFRICA

This loco ran from 14/5/1948 to 16/7/1963 with a STREAMLINED CORRIDOR TENDER (5591) ex SILVER KING and from 6/11/63 to 1/6/66 it ran with a UNSTREAMLINED CORRIDOR TENDER which would be correct however, if like me you model late 50'searly 60's it would be incorrect.

It seems the only loco available with STREAMLINED CORRIDOR TENDER is the preserved 'BITTERN'

It would be hoped that Hatton's will release a range of STREAMLINED CORRIDOR TENDERS in the various colours they ran in thus allowing the correct mix of loco/tender for the name/number we require.

Sorry about my two-penneth Dave

Best wishes

Ian

• Like 1

@silverlink Does it not say on the website that they will be carrying the LNER Streamlined Corridor tender? - Of course, I have a few questions which surround these models, mainly if they will have the metal stroud which went over the water filler cap & on the LNER (non-preservation era) A4's will they not have the Oiling point which was fitted post BR (I think) below the chimney as all LNER A4's had 3 Covers to the oiling points rather than 4..?

However, considering how well Tony Wright, examined the A3's in Hatton's most recent video, and he seemed fairly complementary. Bar a few things which modellers have raised prior. Even a suggestion to build the GNR 8 Wheeled Tender. 

Also after I asked on there 'Platform 1' Live Stream on YouTube, Hattons will release photo's of the 0 Gauge A4 bodies early next week, so no doubt there will be a few answers and probably some more questions. 

Hi Norton,

You're quite right, I've done a quick check of the Hatton's website and it seems on there they have correct tenders with correct locos. I suspect somewhere along the way someone's put together a wrong advert which has ended up in the Guild 'Gazette.

Thanks for input

Ian  

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, silverlink said:

Hi Norton,

You're quite right, I've done a quick check of the Hatton's website and it seems on there they have correct tenders with correct locos. I suspect somewhere along the way someone's put together a wrong advert which has ended up in the Guild 'Gazette.

Thanks for input

Ian  

Quite alright, I do hope they put the extra cowling on the Streamlined Corridor Tenders, it really will add to the model. Curious about your comment on Commonwealth of Australia, I didn't know it kept the same tender for all it's life! Rather strange considering that A4's swapping Corridor tenders was commonplace at Doncaster. 

2 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Looking great. And good to see the 60009 nameplate moved back so it’s not dissecting the parabolic lining. 

Indeed, I know they are using the BR A4 body for this, but I hope they have an LNER version where the front oil pot cover which seat's below the chimney is not visible as all A4's pre-WW2 didn't have that extra pot. But I trust them to know that, we modellers just worry too much sometimes. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Looking great. And good to see the 60009 nameplate moved back so it’s not dissecting the parabolic lining. 

The lining still looks very wide through the curves though. Looking at various photos the degree of curve can vary - I assume it’s not easy to do on the full size loco - but the lining itself was normal width.

10 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

The lining still looks very wide through the curves though. Looking at various photos the degree of curve can vary - I assume it’s not easy to do on the full size loco - but the lining itself was normal width.

Would be a improvement if the lines were parallel. It looks particularly bad on Union and Sir Nigel

Edited by JeremyC

4 hours ago, atom3624 said:

That's about a 40-45mm spacing between the lines.

Widest 'scenario' = 45 / 76.2 = 0.59mm.

It does look a bit 'wider set' on the model bodies ...

Al.

ERROR!!

Sorry these are 'O' - 1:43 isn't it!

~1mm gap then.

Al.