Class A4 4-6-2 in O Gauge from Hatton's

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jay*bobble said:

Hachette a4 hand rail knobs will do the job on Hattons a4 just nicely .do sum already and mach closely.if this helps any one.

It might if it was written in English!

• Agree 1

I found a video of loco running on preserved railway and managed to pause with side shot, plus photos,I imagine there are full drawings about,I am OK with my attempt, though if you shorten knobs so not so much protrudes into cab helps

• Informative/Useful 1

23 hours ago, dodge605 said:

Have used Slaters short handrail knobs, made up off loco with solder and then fitted,happy with resultIMG_0683.jpeg.fa5c111090770df3bf35e5498f0c1f87.jpeg

Fantastic work, proves it can be done and it looks good. A project for me to do in the future :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I first of all must thank my fellow club member and my friend Ian Who completed the work shown below as without his help I’m not sure what the A4s current state would be...

here are a couple of shots of my A4 which started life as H7-A4-007A ( unnumbered ,single chimney and streamlined corridor tender). 

Additional work done to the locomotive includes. 

• Cab handrails fitted.

• Whitemetal double chimney fitted( The plastic single chimney came off easily without causing damage to either the body work or the chimney),New chimney purchased from JPL models.

•Streamlined tender top painted correctly with the green continuing up and other the curve.
• nameplates, foxes, workplates, shedplate and Elizabethan Headboard added, purchased from Fox transfers 

• Numbers and warning flashes again purchased from fox transfers added. 

Still to do... 

• fit sound chip ( will be ordered shortly)

• fit crew

• fit headlamps 
• fit AWS protector plate behind front coupling.
• and we may have something planned for the missing reverser linkage on the drivers side. 

now for the pictures ( please ignore the background... and I can get more shots if requested). 

19CBEF0F-F5FB-4298-83B1-76589C85AFEE.jpeg.3eeb14db6cc9f571556128761fe0b240.jpeg

4BDE59ED-1638-485B-9FC7-84593A3D373A.jpeg.4e3f4907344a7e0f999ae122dfcd54fb.jpeg

9E9E4E68-C890-4F7A-B776-7D666361AE48.jpeg.4f30a355a2c23a1984ff6b8ffc0e9c31.jpeg

F237CA5A-B2EF-470C-8507-D073D38EE5A9.jpeg.643e7daf83e716363c2d4517d90f87cf.jpeg

I can go into the reasoning for choice of loco/ headboard if requested but I’ve been rambling on a little too long. 

okay It’s a shame some things have been missed or left ( lubricator linkages , cab handrails and reverser linkage) and I was slightly annoyed at first. However for £750 she’s Fantastic and I’m over the moon with how she is currently. 

once the outside world is back to normality she will be gracing the exhibition circuit on Ian’s own layout ( Falcon Road) and club layout (Durham Street) so please do keep an eye out and come and say hello. 

can I also just confirm that the front guard irons ( which the cylinder drain pipes are connected to ) are meant  to be loose from the body work. 

Edited by jamie.dunn
Added an extra item ‘to do’
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, EvilNoodle said:

I constantly have to have friends and colleagues review computer code I've written and my partner regularly has to proof read my university course work before I submit it!

I hardly think that telling us computer programming never works properly proves anything!

Hat, coat, off to reboot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Shame when you buy a loco that you got a wait for the next batch to arrive before  you get the detail pack .yet again poor poor qc wonder if next batch will have hand rails.sadly I think not.shame when this could have been the best rtr a4 .in any scale let yourself down Hattons. Horny magazine never even noticed the hand rail missing. And the lining on the front what happened there.

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, jay*bobble said:

let yourself down Hattons

Change the record, you are not adding anything new or useful.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, jay*bobble said:

Carnt wait to see what the a4 will be like from the other major player. Not that common news but it is out there.thay promise to be the ultimate a4 fingers crossed

You can't be serious that a RTR manufacturer would even consider bringing out another 7mm  A4  when Hattons / Heljan model has only just been released. There wouldn't be a market for it that made it worthwhile for anyone to seriously consider it a viable option.

Edited by CUTLER2579
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

We've now received the additional detailing pack that wasn't included with the models when first released. This includes the following parts:

• Reversing lever
  • Ashpan lever
  • Lubricator linkages and wheels
  • Running board supports
  • Valance pipe (H7-A4-002 to 009 only).

These are being sent out to everyone who has ordered an A4 so far. They'll also be included with any model ordered from today.

Full instructions for these parts have been added to our website, and you can check these out and/or order an A4 via the link below:

Hattons Originals O gauge LNER Class A4

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 21/06/2020 at 18:49, CUTLER2579 said:

You can't be serious that a RTR manufacturer would even consider bringing out another 7mm  A4  when Hattons / Heljan model has only just been released. There wouldn't be a market for it that made it worthwhile for anyone to seriously consider it a viable option.

My A4 Hattons model is stunning, another A4 and a definitive one will just be expensive but let’s face it if DJH can charge what they do someone will have a go. Waste of effort I won’t be buying it.

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, two tone green said:

Small request please. If anyone is taking the body off the loco for whatever reason could they please take some photos of the chassis / motor installation and post them on here. Thanks 

Haven't got one but there is a cutaway photo and review in last months Hornby Magazine

45 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Haven't got one but there is a cutaway photo and review in last months Hornby Magazine

Thanks but don’t buy the mag. 

I am interested in how they have mounted the motor in the A4 compared to the A3. 

In the A3 the motor came away with the boiler and is a right royal pain to remount. Was wanting to see if they had fixed the motor to the chassis on the A4 as there is no clear space under the boiler as such on the A4 to deal with. 

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, two tone green said:

Thanks but don’t buy the mag. 

I am interested in how they have mounted the motor in the A4 compared to the A3. 

In the A3 the motor came away with the boiler and is a right royal pain to remount. Was wanting to see if they had fixed the motor to the chassis on the A4 as there is no clear space under the boiler as such on the A4 to deal with. 

PM’d you

• Thanks 1

're a4 body removal not as straight 4ward as it may seem .seems to b some what easier if you remove the main threaded bar that hold everything on to centre drive wheel .remove screw that holds speed .remove don't bogie then there is a screw under the bogie and one on cartasie. There are 2 more screws under the back drive wheels remove these as well.take off front coupling. And gently remove you will have to prise the vallance. Over the cylinders. And the body should come away a bit tight mind you.hope this is of help