Class A4 4-6-2 in O Gauge from Hatton's

Hattons Dave

On 06/07/2020 at 14:31, two tone green said:

Small request please. If anyone is taking the body off the loco for whatever reason could they please take some photos of the chassis / motor installation and post them on here. Thanks 

67C0E8C9-9791-47AA-8D52-4BB9139D173C.jpeg

C9BCD94F-9100-4EAC-9D17-B08EE23CF400.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Does anyone have any illustrations of the additional detailing pack as supplied by Hattons?  I note the instructions on their website have some oictures but for example the drive from the rhs motion to the lubricators is not shown, just the lubricators themselves.

Just now, 60100 said:

Does anyone have any illustrations of the additional detailing pack as supplied by Hattons?  I note the instructions on their website have some oictures but for example the drive from the rhs motion to the lubricators is not shown, just the lubricators themselves.

I think the linkages are just the small ones attached to the lubricators rather then the full linkages which is a massive shame as its quite a prominent feature on the firemans side of the loco...

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/07/2020 at 12:53, Duncan John said:

Hi how good is the sound and did you have to drill out anything. Thanks Duncan

The sound is amazing. Speakers in the tender and under the chimney. The chuff-chuff seems to work well with speed without the wheel sensors. Decoder was from DC Kits and plugs right in. My A4 already was wired through the tender coupling.

Didn’t have to drill anything out.

I did buy speakers the right size from RailMasterHobbies.com 8 ohm 22x58x9.3mm ‘DLG-8’ fitted the tender snugly. Lots of spare space in the boiler and the twin fits easily.

Edited by Mustermark
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Good evening. Can I ask how these locos actually run. I have  read the thread and can’t find many comment on there running quality. The a3 seemed to have a few problems and just wondered how the a4 compared.

thanks 

Mine hasn't been fully test run yet.

however from what i've heard and read they don't do too well on trains with some struggling to pull 5 coaches :/ 

fortantly the layout(s)  mine will spend most of its working life on will be light engine movements only... 

Once our club rooms open up i'll be able to give her a proper test (when ever that may be)

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/07/2020 at 14:26, Mustermark said:

My A4 seems to go nicely with the body off, but there is a loud, resonating hum when the motor runs with the body on! Any ideas what I can do to fix the noise?

Older post - was this resolved?

Is it possibly the body is not fully secured, allowing it to vibrate?

Al.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at Yeadons, 60011 had tender 5326 from 12/37 to 9/60 and then 5328 from 10/60 through to withdrawal in 5/64. 5326 was definitely a corridor tender. I suspect 5328 was from the same programme of works, but can’t be 100% certain without pics.

• Like 1

60011 has a non-streamlined corridor tender on Hornby's version and would assume that they would have done their homework as they usually do.

Real life picture shows it with one too although it isn't dated but the tender has the late crest.

31a9YarlHwL._AC_.jpg

p229565947-4.jpg

Edited by NSP
  • Like 1

Does anyone know how easy/ difficult it would be to convert a single chimney example to double chimney?

I'd like BR late crest, double chimney and streamlined corridor tender...but that combination seems not to exist?

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, JeffP said:

Does anyone know how easy/ difficult it would be to convert a single chimney example to double chimney?

I'd like BR late crest, double chimney and streamlined corridor tender...but that combination seems not to exist?

Is it worth asking Hattons if they could swap a tender top with a returned one?

Evening JeffP

see my Sliver fox psot a few pages back.

I purchased an unnamed single chimney,early crest version and purchased a white metal double chimney from a model shop in manchester (JPL ?) . I didn't do the work myself but i believe the chimney came off a lot easier then expected :)

Edited by jamie.dunn
adjusted spelling

• RMweb Premium
On 28/11/2020 at 18:58, Hal Nail said:

Is it worth asking Hattons if they could swap a tender top with a returned one?

I very much doubt they would. You’d probably have better luck finding a tender by itself on eBay and doing the swap yourself. But it’s always worth a try.

Edited by Hilux5972