Class A4 4-6-2 in O Gauge from Hatton's

Hattons Dave

Can anyone else that has one of these confirm whether or not your model was supplied with a steam heating pipe for the front of the loco?  There is a hole present in the body where it obviously should go but no steam heating pipe was supplied in the detailing pack and I have searched the internet but cant find any photos of these models with a steam heat pipe fitted so I didnt know whether it was an omission across the board from Hattons or if it is just my model that has this missing?  Thanks.

See below photo in which you can see the hole referred to (taken from the internet and not of my model)

20200515_122212.jpg

• Like 1

Had to return my model for replacement as there were a few issues with it.  Therefore will see if the replacement comes with the steam heat pipe and let you all know.

Edited by NSP

On 27/11/2020 at 11:11, gordon s said:

Looking at Yeadons, 60011 had tender 5326 from 12/37 to 9/60 and then 5328 from 10/60 through to withdrawal in 5/64. 5326 was definitely a corridor tender. I suspect 5328 was from the same programme of works, but can’t be 100% certain without pics.

Should have ex A3 Corridor tender to withdrawal, I have it as 5326 to withdrawal ( ex Dominion Of Canada).  

• 2 weeks later...

Further to my post above, I can confirm that there was no front steam heat pipe supplied with the replacement model either.

Seems odd as there is clearly a hole in the model for it - perhaps this is just another omission like the hand rail but can anyone else that has one confirm that theirs does not have one either and that it is not just my model?  Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, jay*bobble said:

Well October  came  and went. Still no mallard and no message from hattons or email to say when thay be hear poor comunication. 

How about you email them directly and ask? Instead of just moaning about it on here. Hattons will know more than anyone on this forum and they don’t spend all day checking this forum for questions. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Strewth, they probably just don't know an exact date. To keep ringing and emailing them asking for updates and then jumping on here isn't going to make them arrive any sooner.

One request, please write any posts in word processing software first to check spelling, punctuation and grammar and copy/paste into here; they are hard work to try and read. Or just stop hitting the same nail.

• Like 5
  • Agree 4

On 28/02/2021 at 13:11, AY Mod said:

One request, please write any posts in word processing software first to check spelling, punctuation and grammar and copy/paste into here; they are hard work to try and read. 

@jay*bobble, banging your head against the keyboard is not an effective method of communication.

Your posts are borderline unintelligible at times, which makes them difficult to read, so most people won't bother. Andy has given you some useful advice to address this limitation. The rest is up to you.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

With the final models now in stock, that for Mallard appears to have ‘polished’ rims to all wheels. These look great.

Does this mean that the front bogie wheels are (part) painted, or of different design.

I remember Hattons saying that the plastic used on the A3 bogie wheels could not be painted.

From Hattons website:

9D015163-D3B7-4FB3-A83F-48C2ABF211B6.png.77e128913c077f0cc63c89d414857f6c.png

I have one on its way via the North Pole.

Neal

• Like 1

Anyone noticed, these are now branded as Heljan rather than Hattons.

Looking at Hatton's site the only bulk of items left branded under Hattons are the O gauge Gresley coaches, then  a few class 66s and a couple of P class, one Andrew barclay model and some Warwells.

Lining up a Perestroika with Bachmann maybe?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 5 months later...

I'm not sure if anyone is still reading this thread, but i would like to share my experience of fitting a Kaydee coupling to my A4 tender so that it can haul my rake of lovely Ellis Clarke Thompsons. It may also be relevant to owners of the A3

The pictures below are after removing the tender body, cosmetic coupling , unscrewing the tender weight, removing keeper plate and wheels. I also unscrewed the bracket holding the female plug which connects the electrics to the loco. The wires to this plug pass through a hole in the tender chassis but the hole is not big enough for the plug/pcb(?) board to pass through.  Two further wires are attached to the brass pick up strips for the tender wheels.  I left the wires connected while carrying out the work described below.

However, this resulted in 6 of the soldered connections breaking during the work due to the handling required. If I were doing this again I would unsolder the pick up wires and make a bigger hole for the plug to the loco to pass through. This would have enabled complete separation of the tender weight and connected wiring which was, in the end, necessary to carry out the repairs to the wiring.

IMG_20220509_140229_2.jpg.bb25049dd095da8d172f609cad8cbeda.jpgIMG_20220509_140325_4.jpg.dfbe9f8751df304eb2d03cdb9f894fd6.jpgIMG_20220509_140345_2.jpg.2adcd359192e0eeab732c36f9db70fae.jpg

The plastic was removed by making two verticle cuts in the buffer beam with a piercing saw to indicate the the width of the Kaydee unit. There was too much in the way to make further use of the piercing saw so the rest of the plastic was removed with a small file. The Kaydee unit was offered up during filing to check the depth of plastic to be removed. Three 'fillers' of plasticard/Evergreen strip. were inserted between the ribs to provide a flat base for fixing the Kaydee unit. The centre piece filling the space where the cosmetic coupling was fitted. On one side you can see that the evergreen strips, layed vertically, filled a hole through the tender chassis floor.

The Kaydee unit was offered up again to mark the holes required for the two fixing screws. Holes were drilled slightly smaller than the screws which were then screwed in as 'self tapping'. Although not actually self tapping the Evergreen plastic was soft enough to achieve this.

IMG_20220529_131419_3.jpg.ff5166c88595b6f79f127ed70efb031e.jpgIMG_20220529_131638_2.jpg.9217d69bf457e6d70a762effa9799c94.jpg

After re-soldering the broken wires and hoping I had reconnected them back to the correct contacts (!!!), the tender was reassembled without the body and wired up to the loco for testing. Fortunately all was well. Note to self - for attempting something similar again - photograph each stage of disassembly to show how to put it back together again - especially the wiring!!.

The tender body was refitted and job done.  The coupling was tested with a coach and although there was a small height difference that seemed ok too.

IMG_20220529_163100.jpg.024e7ae58a26bdacbf5f21f3becce3cf.jpg1171185535_IMG_20220529_1637162.jpg.11a012d2cf1c5a0d1b94c15e241bbf11.jpg

All that remains now is to see what the haulage capabilities of the loco are. I have had the loco, light engine, on the West Bergholt Gauge O Guild test track. It also managed five Ian Kirk Gresleys. My Thompsons have the roller bearing axle boxes so I remain hopefull !

I will report in due course but it won't be for a few weeks.

Keith

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...

I have just reassembled a Hattons 7mm  A4 which I bought used from them The driving wheels had all come off and lots of parts were damaged or missing - Hattons were very help full in replacing these

After a few minutes of running in one of the driving wheels came off again which had been re attached using very strong araldite  The axles just push into a blind hole which is clearly not adequate Every wheel manufacturer I know of uses a screw

The Hattons  website has a lot of these A4's and the A3 also in various states of wheel loss

If You have been tempted to buy one of these beware

The only answer to this that I can see is to replace the driving wheels at a cost of £75 on top of the £52 already spent

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, rmweb4468 said:

Hattons  website has a lot of these A4's and the A3

Its a staggering amount of capital tied up. Given the Heljan mogul didnt really sell quickly either, I cant see any more tender locos being done in a hurry - although of course people tend to ignore obvious lessons these days so hopefully someone else wades in!

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/09/2022 at 16:04, Hal Nail said:

Its a staggering amount of capital tied up. Given the Heljan mogul didnt really sell quickly either, I cant see any more tender locos being done in a hurry - although of course people tend to ignore obvious lessons these days so hopefully someone else wades in!

So are the wheels secured in a similar fashion across their whole steam loco range?

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

So are the wheels secured in a similar fashion across their whole steam loco range?

No idea - Hatton's spec may have been different to Heljans own.

I made it something like £175k in unsold A3s and A4s the other day even at the massively reduced current price.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 1

On 21/09/2022 at 10:35, rmweb4468 said:

I have just reassembled a Hattons 7mm  A4 which I bought used from them The driving wheels had all come off and lots of parts were damaged or missing - Hattons were very help full in replacing these

After a few minutes of running in one of the driving wheels came off again which had been re attached using very strong araldite  The axles just push into a blind hole which is clearly not adequate Every wheel manufacturer I know of uses a screw.

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with relying on a push fit, however a push fit into a blind hole raises the possibility of a compressed air pocket behind the axle trying to push the axle back out. I would suggest  drilling a small vent hole through the wheel centre (where it would look like the axle centres on the prototype) to release any trapped air.

• Like 3