LNER Gresley Teak Coaches in O Gauge from Hatton's

Hattons Dave

The latest Hattons O Gauge newsletter, received in today's (23/7/19) e-mail provides a link to the final pre-production BR period samples. The door droplights and the vents above them remain in the incorrect relative proportions, which is self-evident when compared with the prototype photographs at the bottom of this page: www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=150

The Teak liveried samples will be available later...

Edited by Pint of Adnams
Add info re Teak samples
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

A little disappointing regarding the droplights, especially as it was noted on here March 2018. However, reducing the top and bottom frames with a file, and replacing the glass would improve things. Touching up the paintwork on the teak versions may tax my painting skills though. Shouldn't have to do it on a £250 coach though.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, GNR Dave said:

A little disappointing regarding the droplights, especially as it was noted on here March 2018. However, reducing the top and bottom frames with a file, and replacing the glass would improve things. Touching up the paintwork on the teak versions may tax my painting skills though. Shouldn't have to do it on a £250 coach though.

Thats something I can't 'unsee' now!. Looks particularly bad on the CK's - only a person 5ft tall or less could get their head comfortably through that door window!

• 2 weeks later...

What is really disappointing is that this thread was kicked off by 'Hattons Dave' but no-one from Hattons seems bothered about reading it or responding to the concerns expressed over the dimensional inaccuracies that apply to every door and the omission of the obvious rainstrips above every door.

Totally at odds with Ellis Clark trains, who have clearly taken on board the feedback re the Darstaed-produced coaching stock. Which range incidentally is about to include several Thompson main line types in all three liveries, just announced in the August Gauge O Guild Gazette...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Pint of Adnams said:

What is really disappointing is that this thread was kicked off by 'Hattons Dave' but no-one from Hattons seems bothered about reading it or responding to the concerns expressed over the dimensional inaccuracies that apply to every door and the omission of the obvious rainstrips above every door.

The CADs were put up back in March 17. As far as I recall no one commented about the error in the droplights (or anything else) until a year later in March 18 when there were a few things picked up after they had progressed to tooling, which was too late as it's not economically viable to retool by then.

In contrast, due to a number of people responding to the CADs, the A4 was altered several times. 

Edited by Hal Nail

2 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

The CADs were put up back in March 17. As far as I recall no one commented about the error in the droplights (or anything else) until a year later in March 18 when there were a few things picked up after they had progressed to tooling, which was too late as it's not economically viable to retool by then.

In contrast, due to a number of people responding to the CADs, the A4 was altered several times. 

Sorry - the EPs were first shown on here in September 2017 and specific feedback was given the same month - no response was made by Hattons then or has been given since. The relevant page has been and still is buried on the Hattons website so its not surprising no-one commented before and, in any event, the majority of RMWebbers would be interested in 4mm or other smaller scales so would likely have skipped over the thread on here.

• RMweb Premium

I was under the impression that by the time EPs are made it’s too late to alter much as the cost of re-making tools is prohibitive. Admittedly Heljan did alter the new class 50 slightly in response to feedback, but that’s pretty exceptional and was only one small part of one tool, for a model selling at a higher unit price.

The CADs from March 07 are on the A3 thread (long before the thread was chopped into 3). Everyone who commented was focusing on the A4 shape at that point.

I’m not saying this isn’t an issue - just that unfortunately I don’t think it was ever going to be corrected by the time it was picked up.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

I was under the impression that by the time EPs are made it’s too late to alter much as the cost of re-making tools is prohibitive. Admittedly Heljan did alter the new class 50 slightly in response to feedback, but that’s pretty exceptional and was only one small part of one tool, for a model selling at a higher unit price.

In this case correcting the doors and adding the rainstrips above the cornice generally requires the removal of material from the mould tool, although reducing the size of the door vents requires adding some. The error is so obvious that not only is it likely to affect sales - I am seriously considering cancelling my pre-orders - but it will leave Hattons in the Hornby situation of having to perpetuate the error should more types be produced in the future.

They've also been getting a negative response on the Gauge O Guild forum (private), with some ascribing the issue to Heljan's history of not getting things quite right -  at least in 7mm scale.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 17:47, Hilux5972 said:

Competition? Who else makes RTR O Gauge Gresley Coaches?

It could be argued that Ellis Clark's announcement of a more substantial range of at least 7 types of post-war (Thompson) main line stock in simulated teak, crimson & cream, maroon and even blue for the BG constitutes competition and will go well with BR versions of Hattons A4 and A3. Manufactured by Darstaed, they will be accurate, contain more detail, have lighting, and the crimson and cream and the maroon versions are announced at £199 each.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 19/08/2019 at 21:40, Pint of Adnams said:

It could be argued 

Hi there,

I would argue that Darstaed is not up to the same standard in some important aspects of their fine scale coaches. Their attempts at interiors and lighting should be applauded, but as for the rest - where is the detail? They should stick with what they do well - Coarse scale - in my opinion.  

5 hours ago, seeseerider said:

Hi there,

I would argue that Darstaed is not up to the same standard in some important aspects of their fine scale coaches. Their attempts at interiors and lighting should be applauded, but as for the rest - where is the detail? They should stick with what they do well - Coarse scale - in my opinion.  

You can stick it where you personally want, but I know for certain (from conversations on the Gauge O Guild private forum) that there will be more individuals pleased to see Ellis Clark Trains/Darstaed move upmarket than not and accordingly are collectively and actively supporting their efforts.

On ‎06‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 09:01, Pint of Adnams said:

They've also been getting a negative response on the Gauge O Guild forum (private), with some ascribing the issue to Heljan's history of not getting things quite right -  at least in 7mm scale.

Well it is all too late as the carriages have been manufactured by Heljan according to the designs prepared solely by Hattons - Heljan was not engaged to nor did provide any advice.

It seems that Hattons may have been concentrating so much on addressing the feedback regarding the A4 and A3 locomotive models that they forget about the carriages...

And I did cancel my pre-orders and explained why.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

We’ve received an updated decorated sample of our LNER teak liveried Diagram 186 open third.

This shows the new base colour for the teak effect, lining and the Teak grain effect.

Please note that some small details and the coach end lining are not represented on this sample but will be featured on the final models.

Check out the link below for further images and to place your pre-order:

Hattons Originals LNER teak coaches

Final samples for our full range of Teak coaches as well as a revised delivery date will be provided in the near future.

Please let us know what you think either in this thread or via the Disqus box on our website.

Cheers,

Dave

RMwebLNERTeak_1.jpg.01ba80b0fbd5a74d7ec8ad6dcb6dcaaa.jpgRMwebLNERTeak_2.jpg.0df9dca7f1a477689351fe4e2d72eedf.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Dave

The one thing that leaps out at me - and I'm surprised nobody has commented on this - is the graining on the doors, which should be horizontal on the lower panels, in line with the rest of the carriage.

Oddly enough, Hornby made the same mistake with the first run of their 00 Gresley corridor stock.

D

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

We can announce that the BR liveried teaks (Crimson / Cream and Maroon) should arrive with us within the next few days, with the Teak finished coaches expected in late November.

Each model is now available to order at a revised price of £179 each. 

If you have an order already in place you will automatically be charged the new, lower, price.

Check out the link below for more details including variations, running numbers and to place your order:

Hattons O Gauge LNER Gresley coaches

Cheers,

Dave

teakgroup.jpg.f2e1382b42648c2cefb40f6d22118faa.jpg

• Like 1

On 23/09/2020 at 14:27, Darryl Tooley said:

Dave

The one thing that leaps out at me - and I'm surprised nobody has commented on this - is the graining on the doors, which should be horizontal on the lower panels, in line with the rest of the carriage.

Oddly enough, Hornby made the same mistake with the first run of their 00 Gresley corridor stock.

D

here are some photos that I took on the SVR in May 2009 for comparison

DSCF3272.JPG.3b8c3dc0a327d5e45f56a2fd79f250e7.JPG

DSCF3274.JPG.4f7bf9b0addd15ef12a14a02b38e2ab5.JPG

DSCF3276.JPG.b531a9cedcf2cd03fd27e8df2127b6c3.JPG

DSCF3277.JPG.49b247598b084b8bfc8952eea7ad8140.JPGDSCF3278.JPG.51b105d2c84b75ccaf07f45bdd2f3a1a.JPG

DSCF3279.JPG.7e08354908547d0fe51310087f1d1999.JPG

DSCF3282.JPG.4b1ec0aa4ae66eee70acd3c99a803c8e.JPG

hope it helps.

regards

Mike

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I really feel for Hattons. They aren’t having much luck with the manufacturing of their products. Surely it should be up to the factory to rectify these issues since they are very clearly manufacturing process problems.