LNER Gresley Teak Coaches in O Gauge from Hatton's

Hattons Dave

2 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

I really feel for Hattons. They aren’t having much luck with the manufacturing of their products. Surely it should be up to the factory to rectify these issues since they are very clearly manufacturing process problems. 

These like the O gauge loco's are made by Heljan. I certainly agree with a lot of people that they shouldn't be released in such condition. But what we don't know how its  been discussed with Heljan/the factory

• Agree 1

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

I certainly agree with a lot of people that they shouldn't be released in such condition.

If you mean loons on Facebook, I wouldn't read too much into this. I suspect there are a lot of people who will happily save a few quid for a scratched wheel needing a touch up.

30 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Surely it should be up to the factory to rectify these issues since they are very clearly manufacturing process problems.

Returning stuff to China isn't as easy as you might like by all accounts. This way, some people get something they consider a bargain.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Returning stuff to China isn't as easy as you might like by all accounts. This way, some people get something they consider a bargain.

Well it's certainly not like returning a jumper to M&S, and that's without the ongoing Covid nightmare and huge cost increases + delays shipping product out of China. Presumably the parties involved considered this the least worst option so fair dos.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

If you mean loons on Facebook, I wouldn't read too much into this. I suspect there are a lot of people who will happily save a few quid for a scratched wheel needing a touch up.

Only if you ignore the ones with a loose roof , loose glazing , paint smudges and bogies with no detail . Ohh!! nearly missed the ones with  broken footboards !!! .

These are via Heljan's factory, not a good advert, for any future productions.

• Agree 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, micklner said:

Only if you ignore the ones with a loose roof , loose glazing , paint smudges and bogies with no detail . Ohh!! nearly missed the ones with  broken footboards !!! .

Am I missing something? Those faults have all been identified on the web page. It all looks pretty open to me.

This is just the online equivalent to Bachmann's "seconds" stand at shows. Are you calling for that to be banned too?

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, micklner said:

Loose roof - easy fix

Loose glazing - bit of glue

Paint smudges - bit of weathering

Bogie detail - castings available

Bit of modelling will sort the issues but as you say, Not a good advert for the factory. 

• Agree 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Hilux5972 said:

Not a good advert for the factory. 

A lot depends on how many there are. If loads, then it's not. If a tiny number than it's not much of a problem - no manufacturing process is 100%.

7 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Am I missing something? Those faults have all been identified on the web page. It all looks pretty open to me.

This is just the online equivalent to Bachmann's "seconds" stand at shows. Are you calling for that to be banned too?

Banning what ?  if someone wants buy them thats their choice.

My response was to your comment re painting wheels, some would read that if thats the only defect, and then go and buy some without looking any further at the listings , people do some daft things at times , some all the time !!

Some of the faults listed are not simple repairs, for anyone who is not a competent modeller.

Edited by micklner

• Administrators
Just now, micklner said:

My response was to your comment re painting wheels, some would read that if thats the only defect, and then go and buy some without looking any further at the listings , people do some daft things at times , some all the time !!

So you are being offended for "other people" - mine was an example. If you want to twist it, that says more about you than me.

Anyone who clicks through to a page, reads none of it but still magically manages to buy something has only themselves to blame.

2 minutes ago, micklner said:

if someone wants buy them thats their choice.

Precisely.

The maroon and carmine & cream coaches are on the site.  I grabbed a pair of C&C which is all I can fit on my layout.  As mentioned above the defects are listed and pictured.  None of them seem to be very serious to me and I can deal with them I think.

It is a shame that the defects exist at all but I'm happy to get a bit of a bargain.

John

• Like 1

My A graded Brake composite in Carmine and Cream turned up this morning. Given that it has been inspected - packing slip enclosed - the quality of what's been sent is not what I would expect. Two of the wheelsets are out of the axleboxes, one set of bogie springs had fallen off and one footboard the same. the latter clearly as it was being put back in its box.

Having reset the axles and set it on the track the running is poor with a high degree of friction and it derails on the points suggesting the back to back may be out but I will need to check. On the positive side it really looks the part and has buckeye couplers fitted with screw link included in the box. It will be interesting to see if they are compatible with the Dapol MK1 versions when they are released.

There is nothing here I cant fix but the point is I shouldn't have to. Heljan need to be held to account for this as they have let Hatton's down badly. 

Gresley-1.jpg.852b0245eec1ee4c3032f695b8804d5e.jpg

Gresley-2.jpg.009f42f6829e5de94cb86ffa5c6954a1.jpg

Paul R

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, pwr said:

My A graded Brake composite in Carmine and Cream turned up this morning. Given that it has been inspected - packing slip enclosed - the quality of what's been sent is not what I would expect. Two of the wheelsets are out of the axleboxes, one set of bogie springs had fallen off and one footboard the same. the latter clearly as it was being put back in its box.

Having reset the axles and set it on the track the running is poor with a high degree of friction and it derails on the points suggesting the back to back may be out but I will need to check. On the positive side it really looks the part and has buckeye couplers fitted with screw link included in the box. It will be interesting to see if they are compatible with the Dapol MK1 versions when they are released.

There is nothing here I cant fix but the point is I shouldn't have to. Heljan need to be held to account for this as they have let Hatton's down badly. 

Gresley-1.jpg.852b0245eec1ee4c3032f695b8804d5e.jpg

Gresley-2.jpg.009f42f6829e5de94cb86ffa5c6954a1.jpg

Paul R

Looks like four screws have worked loose, too. ;)

• Funny 1

I suspect the footboard and springs fell off it transit but I would be surprised if the wheels came out of the axle bearings. The box arrived in good condition and no suggestion it had suffered any knocks. Doesn't explain the poor running though

Gangways are really nice

Paul R

• RMweb Gold

Whilst rubbish models are inexcusable in any form has anyone given a thought to this being a result of the current situation? 

I'm guessing someone normally goes out and accepts stuff but freedom of travel may be preventing this. This must compound on top of the usual odd things wrong and dropping off. It may also be that there was a lack of the usual labour to build things again due to the current situation.

Whilst this is no excuse it may answer why Hattons are trying to somewhat limit their loss. Just my thoughts tin hat and flack jacket on lol ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

This is not a solely Heljan issue since I have had several wagons from Dapol through various retailers which have had quality control issues. The latest being an open wagon with a missing buffer assembly.

Paul R

• Agree 1

My category A - BCK arrived this morning, complete with inspection sheet, congratulations to Hattons.  Only problem is the couplings which are supposed to be enclosed are missing otherwise perfect. I'm just wondering who will be the first to tackle the drop lights, shouldn't be necessary but will have to be cut out and set back correctly.  I have not figured out how to get inside for passengers and lights yet.  Seems roof is separate to body but no screws to be seen must just be clips? 

4 minutes ago, norman said:

My category A - BCK arrived this morning, complete with inspection sheet, congratulations to Hattons.  Only problem is the couplings which are supposed to be enclosed are missing otherwise perfect. I'm just wondering who will be the first to tackle the drop lights, shouldn't be necessary but will have to be cut out and set back correctly.  I have not figured out how to get inside for passengers and lights yet.  Seems roof is separate to body but no screws to be seen must just be clips? 

Check your floor. Mine fell out of the box  and I found them later.  I wasn't aware they were even supplied!

Paul R

6 minutes ago, norman said:

Clips were mentioned in hattons video they did on the issues on YouTube. 

Hi Paul

Thanks for the advice but not on the floor just lurking in the detritus on my desk - quite small and easily (for me) overlooked. You'd think a bit of selotape would secure them to the packaging.

Norman

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, pwr said:

This is not a solely Heljan issue since I have had several wagons from Dapol through various retailers which have had quality control issues. The latest being an open wagon with a missing buffer assembly.

Paul R

At least Dapol are trying to bring some of their production back to the UK. It will be interesting to see how much this eventually alters quality issues ;)