LNER Gresley Teak Coaches in O Gauge from Hatton's

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium
On 10/06/2021 at 14:48, Hattons Dave said:

Hi everyone,

H7-TC115-001_202106091437_3252055_Qty1_1.jpg.33519290edc5051ad1aacbf55d8456fb.jpgH7-TC175-001_202106091509_3252043_Qty1_1.png.e458b7fed02738fffaf62ae3f5d007d2.png

I'm pleased to let you know that the LNER Teak liveried variants of our Gresley coaches have now arrived into stock. These are all priced at £179 each and are not subject to the grading system (as per our BR liveried models). 

You can view the full range, HERE

Regards,
Dave

Hello Dave,

Thats good news - I’ve been waiting for these!

One question if I may, why is the lining a sort of orange/ teak colour? I was expecting it to be primrose like on the pre production sample below. Is there a prototypical justification for the orange colour? It looks neatly done, so it would be a shame to have to redo it.

Regards

Andy

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Had a bit of a false start with these as two out of the three I had ordered arrived with broken steps and running boards. Today the replacements arrived safe and sound with no broken parts. However, like John earlier in this thread , I fail to see how these will couple up?

I am loathe to have to start hacking them about.

Dave answers to this?

Thanks.

Cheers, Ade.

4 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Had a bit of a false start with these as two out of the three I had ordered arrived with broken steps and running boards. Today the replacements arrived safe and sound with no broken parts. However, like John earlier in this thread , I fail to see how these will couple up?

I am loathe to have to start hacking them about.

Dave answers to this?

Thanks.

Cheers, Ade.

I think I posted some clues to coupling earlier in this thread Ade.  I used Kadees between the coaches (0 gauge Kadees are so much nicer than the 00 ones) and

a folded paper gangways (from Invertrain I think).  The gangways supplied are rigid and only OK for loco ends IMO.  For the loco ends, dropped cosmetic buckeyes (included) and hooks.  If you wanted you could use screw link, it just wouldn't be prototypical.  I did find I had to hack up the gangway base to get access for the hook coupling.

John

• Like 1

On 15/06/2021 at 09:11, thegreenhowards said:

Hello Dave,

One question if I may, why is the lining a sort of orange/ teak colour? I was expecting it to be primrose like on the pre production sample below. Is there a prototypical justification for the orange colour? It looks neatly done, so it would be a shame to have to redo it.

Regards

Andy

Hard to tell without seeing a larger image but it could be an optical illusion. The prototype was lined with primrose but had a thin red line alongside the primrose which may look orange at a distance.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, MikeTrice said:

Hard to tell without seeing a larger image but it could be an optical illusion. The prototype was lined with primrose but had a thin red line alongside the primrose which may look orange at a distance.

Thanks, that would make sense. If Dave confirms that with a close up picture, I might buy one. Otherwise I’ll wait until I can  see one in the flesh.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Ade,

That looks much better. The red looks rather over thick to me but I can live with that. I’ll take the plunge and order one.

Regards

Andy

Edited by thegreenhowards
Typo
  • Like 1

I finally got the lights installed in my coaches.  This took a long because I had 30 odd figures to paint - a job I detest.  The figures are a mix of Slaters and Omen.

I chose a system from Layouts4U which involves a 3V battery and switch installed in the end door.  This was quite inexpensive.  Batteries are included.

There is an official lighting system from Gaugemaster that uses some kind of motion sensor to turn the lights on.

P1010013.JPG.3507e7a6c9231f5ecf72852982b18e18.JPG

You can see the battery holder glued to the bulkhead.  The switch can just be made out as a button in the middle of the end door.

P1010015.JPG.0b0ddaf8c3c4a6b51a5485273bcaedb9.JPG

Switch from the rear.  There is a spine that needs to be removed otherwise it is too thick.  I retained the top of the spine because it has the "canvas" gangway cover.

P1010016.JPG.fbb99a8c24598486e20451c10561ee71.JPG

LED light strip is self adhesive.

P1010017.JPG.ad52bc9dbf40722de40fc0776e541f0a.JPG

Whoa!  Those are bright!

P1010018.JPG.a85fc870812a6d403716efa0805bebfd.JPG

Coach interior illuminated.  Too bright?  I will ruminate on that.

I think that's it for these for now, there are a ton of other jobs to get done.  Eventually, I would like to super detail the underframes.  You will see what I mean in this pic:

P1010019.JPG.a97a241bf4518f22fb3ce2b88ffa4771.JPG

You can see how sparse the U/F detail is on the Heljan.  The lower coach is a heavily modified Kirk kit of a 52' Gresley BG.

Cheers for now.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well the Hattons deal got me to finally take the plunge. I think they’re lovely coaches and the lining looks much better in the flesh than in photos - the primrose is there but gets lost in most photos.

The coupling system is completely impractical though. I can see I’m going to have to invest in Kadees for the intermediate couplings. The ends will be Dinghams as with all my rakes.

On 15/12/2021 at 06:34, thegreenhowards said:

Well the Hattons deal got me to finally take the plunge. I think they’re lovely coaches and the lining looks much better in the flesh than in photos - the primrose is there but gets lost in most photos.

The coupling system is completely impractical though. I can see I’m going to have to invest in Kadees for the intermediate couplings. The ends will be Dinghams as with all my rakes.

Agree, the couplings are totally impractical IMO.  I fitted Kadees between the coaches in the rake (only 2 I'm afraid, all I have room for).  I put the Kadees in the headstock, not under.

P1010025.JPG.225c4db803d9f56a783ae339ffd71914.JPG

I removed the rigid plastic gangway and replaced with a flexible folded paper thing.

P1010031.JPG.a763999c3969a5dceb0d5e464d6430dc.JPG

P1010033.JPG.309ae14b8b388bc988345dc0e143f96c.JPG

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 5 months later...

Has anyone managed to modify the droplights in anyway to improve the look of these coaches?

Not bought one yet, but I could be persuaded if I knew that it was possible to sought the droplights out?

JP 

• 2 months later...
On 22/05/2022 at 14:18, LNERJP said:

Has anyone managed to modify the droplights in anyway to improve the look of these coaches?

Not bought one yet, but I could be persuaded if I knew that it was possible to sought the droplights out?

JP 

Hattons displayed the early samples of these coaches at Alexandra Palace back in the day.

My eyes were drawn to the incorrect look of the doors around the vent bonnet/ droplight

area. I mentioned this to a member of Hattons staff. I was told that the models on display

were only early prototypes and thing like this would be corrected.

Clearly this area escaped correction.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Ok - so I bought a used (but "very good box" - no description of the condition of the coach!) teak corridor 3rd for grins with the intention to have a display cabinet with an A4 and coach. They didn't have any brake coaches.

To be fair, it's not bad - two loose windows and a couple of minor paint chips. The only other issue is the wheelsets drag an awful lot, but as I don't intend to run it for the forseeable, that's fine. For the price it's not bad. I may looks at doing the lining better mind.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Ok, lets pull nearly £100 of plastic apart :D

The dragging wheelsets was easy - the axle ends weren't in their brass bearings (why have brass bearings on the coach bogie but not the Gresley 8 wheel tender?!).

The picture also shows the pointless couplings and how many windows fell out whilst taking the roof off. I've ordered some glue and glaze...

20221222_132710.jpg.c0ed86cf9900fc1049bfa641e28619bf.jpg

Edited by Bucoops
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

I have fitted a working buckeye coupling to mine and to my A3 corridor tender. Looks good and makes life much easier.

Ellis Clark ones? I bought a few before I even considered buying these.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I guess the teak brakes sold out long ago as not seen any :( Might pick up another corridor 3rd if the last long enough. Once the windows are glued in properly couplinga swapped and the bearings re-seated they aren't *too* bad (layout coach?).

Edited by Bucoops
added "teak"
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just got two thirds at the bargain run-out price and count myself lucky only one window was adrift.  Two more fell out removing the roof.

Apart from the ludicrous metal weight (which I sadly air mailed across the world), I am pretty impressed.

I intend to cut the plate down by two thirds.  The wheel bearing issues should be solved.

Covid supply issues seem to be over as the parcel arrived in Australia in just over a week.

• Like 1

Successfully cut the weight down to 120mm length, that is 60mm either side of the central hole.  This has the benefit of instantly creating two more weights for other coaches saving much time and cutting disks.

A bad idea  in the first place and needless waste of steel.   Whilst the weight is easy enough to get at, prizing it out inevitably causes more windows to pop out!

Very easy to permanently refix them with canopy cement.

Nice bit of Chinese ferrous oxide on the uncut one.

rusty weight.jpg

Edited by LaScala
Adding picture

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I ordered a corridor third in teak livery purely for displaying.  It arrived today and it really looks good.  I'm pleased with it.

However both running boards were damaged, one partially fallen off and the other completely, along with one bogie board.  Looks like a simple repair though.

• Like 1