Cambrian Models - Ownership change Autumn 2017

lochlongside

A bit late for me to act on (I went to Scaleforum yesterday) and apologies if this has actually been noted elsewhere but I haven't seen any comment on the following - copied off Cambrian website

Exhibitions: Scaleforum – this will be the last show we will attend as Cambrian Models. ♦ ♦ ♦ Please note that we intend to semi-retire about the end of September 2017 (after 44 years). ♦ ♦ ♦
We are selling the 4mm & 16mm moulding part of the business as a going concern.
We will retain the 3D printed products and continue to sell electrical parts & Speed Controllers, and trade under a new name.

I would like to thank the current owners in particular for the provision of all those engineering and modern freight wagon kits, types of which are really only now being taken on by the big manufacturers. I have certainly appreciated them.

Hopefully the sale of the business will be a success - and thank goodness I have a (too small) reserve of them still to complete - I only wish I had bought more.

Topic title changed to reflect reality

from

Cambrian Models - Current Owners retiring -4mm business for sale

To

Cambrian Models - Ownership change Autumn 2017

Edited by lochlongside

From the website

We are in the process of transferring Cambrian Models to a new owner.
This is planned to be in late October. More details to follow.
We are not currently able to accept any more orders for our 4mm Scale range; or for 16mm Scale moulded items – with prefixes NA, NB, NS & NW.

3D printed parts, gears, motors and electrical/electronic components can still be ordered.
After the transfer of Cambrian Models, we will continue to sell these items, but using a new business name.

Jason

There goes my hope for the LSWR "New" Brake van to D1543 in 2017.  Hope buyer will not be another Coopercraft.

My best wishes to the owners on retirement.  I certainly have enjoyed assembling their kits over the years. 

Edited by autocoach

Bit of a shame that the LMS RoadStone Wagon will remain unfinished, but good to hear that they have found a new owner for the range. As has been said above and will no doubt be said below too, let us hope this doesn't turn into another Coopercraft!

I am after some bogie rail wagons, do I get them from Cambrian or wait for new owners?

It seems you cannot order from them atm, until the changeover is completed. No idea if they intend to take their stand to other shows in the meantime.

However, there should be stock available online from other traders (including eBay).

I, like most people wish the old owner all the best, and wonder what the new owners will do with what they have bought.

Will we see the present range just continue without change?

Will we see the gradual improvement of the kits, as already been happening?

Will we have another cooper craft disappearing act?

For myself, I hope we will see the present range used as a base to expand.

Improvements. Well, I would like to see the one piece bogies continue to expand, to include the FTB6 and some others they have not made.

New models? Well, how about the various big box wagons built on recovered bogie tank under frames? These are a big choice of prototypes that nobody does yet. And the bogies and under frame bits could be sold as spares for detailing the old Hornby model. Or how about taking on the RTR market. They already have the bogies, how about a model of the HTA? With the Bachmann RTR model heading for £40, I think there would be a market for a kit for £10. Or looking at the prices of hornbys wagons, how about a kit for the coal fish, with the under frame as a spare to replace the old HAA. Or with the price of hornbys HAA wagons, how about a kit of them which does actually get the shape right?

I await the outcome of this with much interest. I also hope the new owners all the best, and await their announcements as to where the range is heading with interest.

• Like 2

It would be better if the bogies weren't one piece in some respects (particularly for P4 modellers).

I'm hopeful the range continues to do well, so many kits in the range are not likely to be produced ready to run and their loss would be a big shame.

• RMweb Gold

It would be better if the bogies weren't one piece in some respects (particularly for P4 modellers).

I'm hopeful the range continues to do well, so many kits in the range are not likely to be produced ready to run and their loss would be a big shame.

As some 90% of modellers will be thankful for one piece uncompensated bogies to simplify kit building, I'm sure the rest of us can manage to cut off the sideframes and thin them down to fit etches. It was a good move IMHO.

Mike.

It seems you cannot order from them atm, until the changeover is completed. No idea if they intend to take their stand to other shows in the meantime.

However, there should be stock available online from other traders (including eBay).

Just Google "H&A models".

Satisfied customer.

• Like 2

Still no identity for the new owner? Will the new owner have website ordering or deal through retailers with websites? Will the new owners have a different insurance company that allows sales to litigious North America? 

Still no identity for the new owner? Will the new owner have website ordering or deal through retailers with websites? Will the new owners have a different insurance company that allows sales to litigious North America?

I would expect that the new owner will want to keep quiet until the sale and transfer is complete.

This is how things were handled when c&l changed hands.

Hopefully show attendance and website ordering will continue. But if kits are provided to other retailers then that somewhat reduces the need for Web ordering.

Bruce,

Thanks for the info.  Just ordered 3 Cambrian SR Brake Vans from H&A.  :D

Just wanted to close the loop on my earlier post.  I did receive my order from H&A today.  I have to say that I am very impressed with the speed at which H&A shipped out my order (yesterday was a holiday here in the U.S. and but for that and the Sunday, I believe it would have arrived even earlier.).  Moreover, I think H&A overseas shipping charge was entirely reasonable.  Overall, I am a very satisfied customer (no ties, just very happy buyer) and look forward to buying from H&A again.  

Dave

Just wanted to close the loop on my earlier post.  I did receive my order from H&A today.  I have to say that I am very impressed with the speed at which H&A shipped out my order (yesterday was a holiday here in the U.S. and but for that and the Sunday, I believe it would have arrived even earlier.).  Moreover, I think H&A overseas shipping charge was entirely reasonable.  Overall, I am a very satisfied customer (no ties, just very happy buyer) and look forward to buying from H&A again.  

Dave

We have just received our last order from Cambrian Models and are waiting for info from Barry on who the new owner is.

Harry & Andrea

Edited by Andrea