Cambrian Models - Ownership change Autumn 2017

lochlongside

Very best wishes to you for the success of your venture. I certainly have a list of further kits I will need from the existing range, in 00, bit also the possibilities of 16mm accessories.

If you are asking for suggestions for new models in 00, and the fact that you are based in Kent, can I suggest that you look at the possibility of a kit for the JXA/POA Sheerness Steel 102t scrap bogie 31xx series wagon bodies? Several manufacturers have dismissed this previously, stating they would have trouble with the integrity of the long bodyshell, but several RTR releases over the past several years for various Network Rail equivalent wagons, demonstrate this is not the problem it once was.

Schlieren bogies are now available from another source, and PROCOR transfers are also now available, with the main Sheerness Steel wording easily applied by use of Letraset which produces the exact font. Body colour approximates to a shade of Ford light blue. The only body from which an equivalent could be bashed, has now been discontinued. The wagons timescale stretches from 1981to the present day, and they could and can be seen pretty much nationwide, which suggests a reasonably large potential market. It seems an opportune time.

I know it will take a while to consolidate what you will already have, back into production, so any new product will be some time off.

Meanwhile, best of luck!

Be careful what you post, you may start a uncontrolled wish list. Then we will have to post a froth alert.

Saying that, what do I want (being a avid kit builder).

More one piece bogies (FTB6 please. Need 20 pairs).

How about the big bogie box wagons made using used tanker bits (one piece bogies as spares for use under Hornby tanks).

I have other ideas, for kits I would by in multiples, but they will do to start with.

Improvements to the present kits?  Replace the multi piece buffers with one piece ones, moulded along the sprue, like the old airfix tank wagons. These are easier to trim than those moulded flat, with the tabs on the side of the buffers (the only complaint I have with parkside kits). How about including a mould with the brake pipes, as none of the kits come with them. Retain the slits in the buffer beams sized for smiths hooks.

This from a man who is building 10 turbot wagons at the mo.

Thank you for keeping us informed Graham, best of luck with the venture. As for potencial kits, I would be very pleased to see a completion of the LMS Roadstone wagon kit that Mr Parks made a start on. If we are talking more long term, I would dearly love a kit for the LMS 'Sole' ballast wagon, another kit that was mooted by Cambrian at some point. Certainly a long-lived vehicle that survived well into the 70's in some parts of the country.

Best Regards

Dan

• RMweb Premium

To echo what others have said, this is great news, and I wish you well with your new venture.

As for ideas, a vote for the Diagram 1/420 15 ton timber wagon which has been lurking on the Cambrian website for a while as future kit C112, please. 

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations Graham, you are indeed a brave man, I'm glad to see the range hasn't disappeared into a South Western or Eastern black hole as some have done.

With your injection moulding experience, does this hint at better fidelity in the mouldings, or maybe even a change in material to a more solid resilient polymer?

As for a wish list, I'm just happy my future supply of Sturgeons is secured, and presumably Harry and Andrea will be breathing a sigh of relief.

Mike.

The question of what to do next, as asked above, got me thinking.

As a kit manufacturer, do you go for the more unusual prototypes with limited sales potential but less likely to be copied by the big RTR boys?

Or do you go for the more common wagons, with the chance of the likes of horbachpol releasing it RTR?

Or with the prices now of even normal basic RTR wagons, is there a market for a kit to compete directly with RTR? With the price of a 2 axle wagon heading for £25+ and bogie wagons £40+ how much value do people put on their own time? IE-would people buy a kit in direct competition with a RTR model if the kit was half the price of the RTR version? Myself, I would as the building of wagon kits is something I do to relax and being a tight Yorkshire man with short arms and deep pockets, the savings are worth it (plus it's better building a kit than watching some of the garbage on TV). A answer to this might be in the present wagon range. How have the sales of the dogfish (not the easiest wagon to build or get a true running chassis, but can be done) been affected by the Heljan RTR version?

A question to all the modellers out there. Would you buy a kit of the humble HAA wagon, with it being able to use correct sized wheels, at a price of £13? About half what Hornby wants for its RTR version even with its errors?

• Like 1

I'm very glad that you've saved the current range of kits and wish you every success.

Concerning new kits, the current range has some late pre-group but very little for early pre-group; i.e. wagons running 1900-1910 (yes, the PO wagons, but almost none of the railway-company wagons). This could be an opportunity. There might also be a market for some L&Y wagons. Finally, how about a really good kit for a GWR open c. 1900? It would replace the unavailable and compromised Coopercraft kits.

To echo what others have said, this is great news, and I wish you well with your new venture.

As for ideas, a vote for the Diagram 1/420 15 ton timber wagon which has been lurking on the Cambrian website for a while as future kit C112, please. 

If a way could be found for axleguards to be separate from solebars, the underframe might be used for the fitted Plate wagon; I corresponded with Barry about this some time ago, and he said it might be feasible.

Going through my library, from illustrated history of BR wagons, vol 1 (and only), and railway wagon plans, i have found some interesting ideas for future kits.

We have the pig irons UPO.

Bogie bolster E BEV (a back dating of the turbot, the opposite of what happened in real life).

The MVA conversions of BBAs.

JUA/JTA/PTAs.

JNA-GERS.

JRA.

PXA.

POA/PXA scrap steel bogie wagons.

The last four all use bogies from tank wagons. The UPO would require a new model, the BEV would need  a new body for the turbot, and the PTA a complete new model. The big bogie box wagons are one missing model that can be seen nationwide. 

Congratulations.

I would second the vote for LNWR designs. 

Another suggestion would be 9'6" w/b  5 planks, as used by the GNR, GER and GCR and produced en masse from the 1880s through to the 1900s. 

Or, some older wagon designs from Southern constituents, building upon the excellent new LSWR van.

Or, RCH 1887 POs. 

Great news about the continuation of the range, and my anxiety about non-availability has greatly diminished - still don't regret cleaning Peter's Spares out of all of their GWR/Cambrian Railways kits however! 

How about a GWR Crocodile of a different length/style to the Mainline/Bachmann RTR one? Something like a Crocodile F to complement the reheated Bachmann Crocodile H?

CoY

Good news.

I have found the mix and match idea on the various bogie bolster wagons a great help in providing me with an easy route to other diagrams.

Good to know that this will continue.

As for the US product liability insurance. I hope you have done the right thing and that the sales do justify the cost.

Bernard )

I'm very glad that you've saved the current range of kits and wish you every success.

Concerning new kits, the current range has some late pre-group but very little for early pre-group; i.e. wagons running 1900-1910 (yes, the PO wagons, but almost none of the railway-company wagons). This could be an opportunity. There might also be a market for some L&Y wagons. Finally, how about a really good kit for a GWR open c. 1900? It would replace the unavailable and compromised Coopercraft kits.

I agree with all that. It would be even nicer if Cambrian could replace a few more of the lost Coopercraft GW wagons (obviously they'd be better too).

• RMweb Premium

Graham,

I wish you every success in this venture. I am currently awaiting fresh supplies of the Herring after reading the article in the MRJ on back dating them. Any Pre-group wagons are to be welcomed and a decent GW toad kit, would be the icing on the cake.

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the needs for my PW section I do not have to panic buy rail carriers.

One thing though woul dbe worth looking at as Cambrian produced so many departmental wagons. (I have Sealion, Dogfish, Mermaid Shark at the moment)

The small track laying cranes fitted to Sturgeons.

Not sure how many types, but seem them fitted to a few Sturgeons.

• RMweb Premium

Also Salmon, I would have 3 with cranes

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brsalmon5ft/h78bf10c#h78bf10c

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brsturgeon/h11e5f11f#h1a75fe51

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brsturgeon/h11e5f11f#h11e5f11f

The top one is on my want list as I noted down the set

Not a wagon but something to fit to your newly aquired range of departmentals

My departmentals 90% Cambrian

My ABs 50% Cambrian

My VBs 35% Airfix, 40% Parkside

I like plastic wagon kits!